SWAIN Coatings for lowering heat and increasing hp

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I wrote the following, quoted e-mail w/responses by Swain Tech Dept.
"1. I want to coat the exhaust manifold and the connecting split outlet leading to dual exhaust pipes.

I want to know the cost to perform this service.

Exhaust parts are priced out based on their size, condition and the amount of masking required. Here is
my best estimate without seeing the parts. We do not see many '54 Hudson manifolds come through, but
most 6 cylinder manifolds cost about $85-125 if it is a straight manifold. Connecting pipes cost about
$30-40 per foot per single pipe assuming they do not exceed 3" in diameter. If it is a split pipe, you would
double this where the pipe a double pipe.

2. I also want your opinion (and cost if feasible) to coat the intake manifold. I know or believe that coating
the intake manifold shold improve the horsepower by keeping the intake fuel/air mixture lower as it enters the
combustion chamber. Plase give me your opinion on this and do you do this procedure for other customers!?

Coating the bottom of the intake manifold with a ceramic thermal barrier is an excellent thing to do. Any
time you can keep heat out of the intake charge you are going to be better off. We have done this for
many years for everything from 5 hp briggs to NASCAR before they made it illegal and it is beneficial.

3. Also, concerning the caoting of the pistons to reduce friction, please elaborate on this too. And the cost (six
pistons).

The PC-9 skirt coating is the most durable skirt coating and that is the one I would use. The cost is
$18 per piston if all we are doing is coating the skirts. During normal operation, the skirt should
never fully contact the cylinder wall so you will have your oil film between the skirt and the wall doing
the lubricating job. Where the skirt coatings help is they will hold the oil better than a bare skirt
would and if you have oil starvation (cold start, loss of oil pressure, etc.).

Let me know if you need anything else.

XXXXXXX

Swain Tech Coatings"

URL => http://www.swaintech.com/header.html#price

An interesting article on lowering eng compartment temps;

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=51801

** Have any of you fine poster's utilized the services of Swain Coatings
to improve the efficiency of the fabulous Hornet engines? I'm
seriously thinking of coating the bottom of the intake, the exhaust
w/dual-split outlet; also considering the gold coat on tops of pistons
and the black body emitter coating within (inside) the pistons. They
offer lots of optionable coatings-unbelievable!!!

TIA

John

Comments

• Coating the bottom on the intake was more for the v-8's where the intake sits in the valley ontop of the engine, don't know if this applys to Hudson. And the piston coating was for friction on the high rpm engines I thaught. Personally I think these applications apply to a whole different area than our hobby of Hudson cars. When I hear somebody talk of these things it is with high horse power race engines. I could be wrong.
  • There are several people out there that can put heat resistant coatings on your parts. One is "JettHott". You can check out their site @ http://www.jet-hot.com/index.html I talked with Todd Beiswenger there about coating my headers and tunnelram. $179 for the headers, and $150 for the tunnelram.
This discussion has been closed.