Hudson Ignition upgrade work on Kaiser?

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Will the Chryler slant six ignition system that was recommended to upgrade a stepdown work on a Kaiser? (See Upgrading Hudson ignition discussion of 3/26/04 by Anonymous on p. 8) I bought the materials needed for my 48 and it looks like it could work on the Kaiser also, but the distributor on the Kaiser turns counter-clockwise. I defer to the wisdom of my Hudson colleagues as the Kaiser boys don't talk much.
Jason

Comments

• I just purchased slant six ign to convert my Hud 308 over;
    it's currently under restoration. You might touch base with
    an Arnold Bonner in Memphis, Tn (distributor's expert). I
    don't know if he has ever worked on your exact application,
    but he KNOWS distributors. and might be able to talk
    generalities. GOOD LUCK! laugh.gif <font color="blue"> </font>
  • these notes may be of some interest:
    L-226 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Michael wrote: I have the 226 engine in my '60 wagon. Has anyone out there tried installing electronic ignition in this engine? I know Whitney
    sells several different types but I have no knowledge base to go on as to which works best (if any).

Jack Harrison wrote: I used a GM HEI in my '60 226. If you don't have a problem with so-called originality, the multiple spark of HEI makes a
    flathead run and start like nothing you've ever seen. The easiest conversion for a 226 is to get the HEI from a Chevy 292 straight six. Use the old
    distributor adapter and drive key. Saw off the GM shaft to the correct length and pin the drive key on. (shaft is same size as old one) Drill and
    tap the old adapter housing for a set screw. Replace the adapter on the block, slide the distributor into the adapter (I forgot to mention that it is
    a perfect fit) and plug the coil wire into the distributor. Set the timing and you are in business. You now have a 226 with a new personality. I
    have done similar conversions on 134's but you need to do some machining. These use HEI from a Chevette or other 4 cyl.

Jack Starcher wrote: I'd be interested in hearing more on converting the 134's. I got a Kaiser SuperSonic that came out of my '46 that I'm
    planning on reworking for another project and is a likely candidate for this conversion. Could you shed some more light on what
    vehicles/motors to get the parts from and what machining is needed? Thanks

Rod Smith wrote: You might want to consider a IGNITOR solid state ignition system instead of replacing the distributor. I put one on my 283
    chevy engine in my 59 Willys PU. It is an easy installation. Just remove the points and condenser and install the unit. All the parts are internal
    so from the outside all looks original. The units are made for most distributors, cost between $50 and $100, and can be obtained through most
    mail order performance parts houses.

Ronald L. Cook wrote: I put one of these type conversions(I don't recall the brand name) in an International truck about 10 or 11 years ago. I
    believe they had just come on the market. I have not been able to find a source since then. The distributor had gotten worn enough that it was
    impossible to hold a steady dwell. Had to constantly adjust the points as there was such a small range in which they would operate satisfactory
    manner. I had to make a few small modifications as the kit wasn't for the exact distributor, but it was installed, the air gap set, and the thing is
    still going and hasn't had the distributor cap removed in all that time. The truck gets about 400hrs a year on it.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Okay, that HEI distributor idea sounds promising. Should I get one from a dealer or go to the junkyard to find one from a 292 Chevy engine? What sources did I need to look for to find out about the timing procedure?
    Jason
  • A junkyard unit may be just that; junk. A dealer unit may be very expensive. I would suggest a remanufactured unit available through any good auto parts store like NAPA or Carquest. You probably will need to use a combination of the timing from the HEI instructions, Kaiser timing and just plain old trial and error (time it and if it pings, back off a bit, etc.). Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.