46 Super Six on late model frame??

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Has anyone tried to put a 46 4dr on a late model Ranger frame??? Just picked a 1990 Ford 351w Police Interceptor engine, and would like run a 5 spd. If a Ranger frame will work, I can have disc brakes, powers steering and save money on replacement parts (along with the headache of finding Hudson parts), and not have to worry about twisting that old differential. I would really like to keep the body looking original, but with the convience of a updated drive train. At least this way, it could be a daily driver. If I'm going to all the work of restoring it, I want to be able to drive it whenever I like with some reliability.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Friend of mine set a '46 Hudson tudor Sdn on an S10 Chassis. It sets real nice with a slight forward rake. I dont have a picture though.
  • I thought of a S-10 when I was thinking Chevy power, but I want to use a ford driveline... Wonder how that would go into an S-10 frame???
  • Just get out the saw and welder the original frame is strong enough!:D

http://picasaweb.google.com/blalockspeedshop/Hudson#
  • Yeah,I kinda figured the frame could be made to work, but I just figured it would easier to make the body fit the Ranger frame and running gear than to fit the new steering and suspension to the Hudson frame. That way I'll have disc brakes, 5 spd, and beefier differential with minimum heavy work. I was even thinking of possibly shortening the body to a two seater. This car is a 4dr, and I do like the suicide doors, but a two seater with a full tilt front end would definantley be interesting. And with a 351w Police intecptor engine,I want all the strength I can get...
  • It really was not that hard to do the work and mine is built to handle a 500" Mopar engine running 9's in the quarter at nearly 140mph. It has 4 wheel discs, rack and pinion steering and a narrowed 9" rear good for 950hp. But then again we have been accused of being a little nuts!
  • Well Well,now that sounds cool. Maybe I will try toput everything on the stock frame. It will make putting the front fenders back on. Just hoping I can get the front all tacked together for a full tilt front end!!!!!!!
  • Were you able to fit your '46 sedan onto the Ranger frame? just like you, I want to resto-mod my '46 sedan into a dependable driver...after reading some of these postings, I'm considering the S-10 frame. If you have any pics of your '46 project please post or send them so I can get an idea of how it will look. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joel H.
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    My friend installed the '46 Tudor Sdn on the S10 Frame and it looks really nice but took awhile. It looked like a lot of extra work making all the body mounts and lining everything up..

Everything ive built I used the Hudson Frame then changed the driveline and front clip. Even then it took some fitament to mount the front sheet metal assy on the new Clip. I think the best way is install a front suspension of your choosing to the Hudson front Frame then all your body mounts remain in placethen change the driveline. The stock rear springs will handle lot more power up to a point.
  • Ol' Racer, thanks for the info. After some consideration and some more advice I will keep the stock frame.

Some questions that I have for anyone that can provide input are,

When using the stock frame of my 46' 4dr, what's the advantage or disavantage of using a front clip of a newer vehicle -vs- installing an after market IFS (MII, Heidts, TCI, etc, etc)?

Is it better to go with disk brakes all around, or would disk brakes in the front be safe enough for a modern drive train? I'm considering a 350/350 drive train due to price and availability of parts, I'll also have air suspension all around.

Thanks to all!!

Hudsonly.
  • Ol racer
    edited March 2011
    FYI
    For a St Rod or Classic Cars Disc on the Front are very sufficient. Actually there are Kits available to put Disc on your Hudson Spindles.

Installing a Clip is simple enough by taking measurements and 'fish plating'.Popular Clips are Camaro, Nova, and Mopar. The Mustang 2 Kits are nice too that update all your Suspension at once, plus adds Rack & Pinion thats easily coupled to your Steering column. Additionally, you could install a GM Tilt Column with a GM Power Brake/Master Cyl Unit (from an '80's GM Car) that practically bolts in.

One thing to ensure is that you get a 'Narrow Clip or Mustang 2 Front Assy' for Tire clearance inside of the Fenders...Another is to keep all the Wheels the same bolt Patterm (Ie) Using a Camaro Clip install a GM Rear too.
This discussion has been closed.