Hydra-matic question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've got a 49,000 mile '54 Wasp, with Hydra-matic. Besides a few leaks the tranny works great, except: when I put it in low, the engine wants to die. Any thoughts? :confused:

Thanks, in advance!! :)

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    What idle speed (rpm) have you got it set to? You can try to increase it a little, and also be sure the idle mixture isn't too lean, which can cause this problem too. Set the idle mixture on the rich side of optimum.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    Hi As Park Said It Sounds Like You Have A Idle Problem Not A Tranny Problem I'm Guessing You Do Not Have Twin H And Are You Sure It's A Hydromatic Not A Borwarner Trans
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    BDN54 wrote:
    I've got a 49,000 mile '54 Wasp, with Hydra-matic. Besides a few leaks the tranny works great, except: when I put it in low, the engine wants to die. Any thoughts? :confused:

Thanks, in advance!! :)

I don't have experience directly with these engines but generally how about these conditions?

• Idle speed - does it do it only when cold or hot or both?
    • Although these engines develop little vacuum - have you checked for vacuum leaks?
    • How is the exhaust any leaks there? - I've seen too little back pressure create this at an idle.
  • Thanks, Guys! I'll Check The Idls Speed And Mixture. Also This Does Have The Hydro Trans. Does This Make It An Early Or Late Production Model?

I Have A Stude W/the B-w Trans., It Is A Different Animal Altogether. (tho An Excellent Unit).

Bruce
This discussion has been closed.