3 chapter get together report!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Well, me and my dad ventured the 25 mile drive in my hudson to the 3 chapter get together at the home of the Minard's. It was a real nice day, got there with minimal trouble with the Hudson (except it ran hot most of the way there, sprayed coolant all over the engine compartment, and my beautiful twin h oilbath aircleaners) and got home safely. I hope everyone else is able to manage the same!

It was a nice turnout for the weather being kind of unpredictable. The rain stayed away, except for one moment, and allowed everyone to enjoy nice company, great food, (okay, terrific food!) and the many nice hudsons there.

I joked with my dad on the way there, that it would be nice to maybe have the only 50 hudson there, and at first, I thought that was going to be the case, but after we arrived, another one came a bit later. Oh well... so much for dreaming.

I really got to say, hudson people are a great bunch, and it was real nice to be around folks that exercise such a terrific level of hospitality. We (me and my dad) are going to join the PA Dutch chapter, and hopefully further enjoy the company of this great group of individuals (also, please note, the folks from the other chapters were super, as well, not to show preference to just the PA dutch folks, but hey, I am born and raised Lancaster countian, and that's our local chapter...)

It was nice of the Minard's to open up their home for a get together as such, and I just want to say thank you! It's because of people like this that the hudson club is such a success.

It was nice to meet everyone that I long tried to put a name to a face, but now, I can. I must say, Cliff, that 54 is a beauty! what an all around nice car!(and everyone else, the workmanship of your cars was fantastic! ) I can only hope that in a couple of years, and with more time, money, and elbow grease, my 50 will be as nice as those I got a chance to be around today.

On a funny side note, I jokingly said to my dad, that my hudson was the (condition) worst car there. I even commented that the 38 in the garage, if put back together, was probably in better shape... To make me feel better, my dad reminded me that we didn't get to see the other car that was sort of out back, so you just don't know.... (note to myself... I should have replied... at least we were able to drive my hudson up, and mine is not sitting on blocks right now waiting the completion of the brakes, but seriously, he's probably right...)

Oh well, it puts it all in perspective... I got a lot of work to still do, It was nice to get the hudson out, take it to a hudson event, and just be able to enjoy it for what it is. I guess that's what it is all about. someday it will get all done! (but what fun is that?)

THanks again to the Minard's for their hospitality, and to everyone else that made it all possible!

Comments

• Hi Rick,--- It was nice having you & your dad Chuck at our local meet & look forward to many more. Don't forget Creasy's meet in Bloomsburg next month even though you may have to drive a brand X. I do think that you will have to get that radiator checked out for flow as I believe that was what caused the overheating on the way up. Great to have some young people interested in Hudson as this is what will keep our club going into the future, and by the way, thanks for the compliment on my car. Hudsonly---Cliff Minard.
  • HudsonKid, you're right! At least yours is drivable! Maybe that's why you don't see a lot of Hudson's at car meets, We've all got them in pieces.(ha) Heck, it seems half the people on this Forum are rebuilding their cars. I can only "remember" what it was like to tool around town when mine was running. That memory has to keep me going till my '48's completed. I've just started stripping the 2 coats of paint off. I just need to make sure I get this car back together soon, before I get too senile to remember where everything goes! (ha) This picture was taken this morning.
  • I would recommend, that if you get a chance, go to a local meet! It was a fun day. I looked forward to going for several weeks, from when i found out about it, to the actual time we were there. It is fun to meet new people and just talk about hudsons. It seems everyone has a hudson story, and a lot of the cars have real history. I figure someday, when i really feel the need to, mine might come that far apart, for a total resto, but probably not, It's too fun to drive, even with the "little" problems. I guess the best part about having a hudson, is the fact there is so much support amongst the club. I got a lot of ideas to try now, to my overheating problem, and now, should be able to come to some kind of a solution.

Cliff, I think the radiator is my problem, and will be pulling it out in a few days here. I also think that perhaps the water pump might be causing problems, but not 100% sure, might just swap that, since I pretty much have to take the fan off anyway to get the radiator out, it's just a few more bolts, and the system is drained anyway, so why not. I just hate doing two things at the same time to solve one problem. (you never get to figure out what actually fixed the problem)

As far as Bloomsburg, got any details on this one? maybe my dad will have the Wasp up and driving, and we can take a drive.... It seems to start and run well, just those pesky brakes that need redone. He's got all of the parts now, just needs some "dry sunshiny weather" to get it finished. I always said it was one of my favorite cars to drive, of his.
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    I would recommend, that if you get a chance, go to a local meet! It was a fun day. I looked forward to going for several weeks, from when i found out about it, to the actual time we were there. It is fun to meet new people and just talk about hudsons. It seems everyone has a hudson story, and a lot of the cars have real history. I figure someday, when i really feel the need to, mine might come that far apart, for a total resto, but probably not, It's too fun to drive, even with the "little" problems. I guess the best part about having a hudson, is the fact there is so much support amongst the club. I got a lot of ideas to try now, to my overheating problem, and now, should be able to come to some kind of a solution.

Cliff, I think the radiator is my problem, and will be pulling it out in a few days here. I also think that perhaps the water pump might be causing problems, but not 100% sure, might just swap that, since I pretty much have to take the fan off anyway to get the radiator out, it's just a few more bolts, and the system is drained anyway, so why not. I just hate doing two things at the same time to solve one problem. (you never get to figure out what actually fixed the problem)

As far as Bloomsburg, got any details on this one? maybe my dad will have the Wasp up and driving, and we can take a drive.... It seems to start and run well, just those pesky brakes that need redone. He's got all of the parts now, just needs some "dry sunshiny weather" to get it finished. I always said it was one of my favorite cars to drive, of his.

Hi Rick, The Creasy Meet is actually a 3 day meet of Friday, Saturday & Sunday Sept. 16, 17 & 18th., however we only go Sunday since we are only 2 hours away. The meet is actually at Creasy's Garage located on old Berwick Pike in Bloomsburg, but for the life of me, I can not come up with a house number. Everyone in Bloomsburg seems to know where Creasy's Garage is, but if you desire additional information you can contact Caroline Creasy at 570-784-1806 for details about the other 2 days & a road address of the garage. Hope to see you there.---Cliff Minard.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Hudsonkid,

The overheating is probably a combination of many things. As long as you're doing your radiator and water pump, make sure you carefully remove and check your internal water baffle. That also has a tendency to plug up with crud.
  • Check your timing first before removing anything. It is an easy task and simple fix. I went thru 2 radiators, removed the water jacket and tried just staright water with a rust inhibitor. Don't ask me how the timing changed. It did and it made my Terraplane overheat. I re-set it and now it runs just below the middle mark on the receiver or temp gauge.

Gregg
  • we were talking about it, and I think we are going to check timing, before I start pulling it apart again...

as far as the thermostat, it is out... right now...

and if it does not get better thru, timing, radiator, or water pump, the baffle is coming out, and getting cleaned...

THanks CLiff, will check it out... maybe we'll be there...
  • With the radiator and water pump removed pull the water tube and flush the block. They have to be removed to pull the tube.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    You better put proper thermostat back in before you go thru all the changes. It prevents coolant from boiling out when your car naturally heats up climbing hills. Without thermostat to hold back coolant, it just goes out overflow before it can cool down. ;)
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I definately would reinstall the thermostat first and foremost. I am in the process of having a radiator redone for my coupe, it will be a custom four core radiator with the stock appearance maintained- all to the tune of $523.00........
This discussion has been closed.