308 hard to start when engine warm

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello our Hudson Hornet has a 308 with a 6 volt system.I have a new battery with 575 cold cranking amps,720CA,rebuilt Hudson starter.new spark plugs and points.Engine starts fine when its cold first click,but when run for 20 or 30 minutes shut off motor it turns over but wont ignite.Has what seems to be good spark.any ideas Thanks Phill

Comments

• Have you checked the wires going to and from your coil?

You might have a bad/loose connection somewhere
  • had an old international pickup that acted the same way.... it was the coil . seems to me my tractor did the same thing and was fixed the same way.

davidh
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Some thoughts: it would be relatively quick and inexpensive to try another condensor. Also, when it's hot, pull the silencer off the carb and look down inside. Is it dripping gas, and do you smell gas? Flooded, perhaps. If not, then pull the accelerator rod linkage. Do you hear it spraying gas into the manifold? If not, maybe you have vapor lock from the heat. Try insulating some of the fuel lines within the engine compartment, or adding a few more gaskets between the carb and manifold.
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Hornet,

My 52 had the same problem. battery was too small in amps to spin the starter fast enough to start, especially when hot. My current group 2 battery has 940 CA's and 780 CCA's. if everything else is new and rechecked, you might have a too small battery.
  • Same problem and fix for my 54. Put in a new interstate batteries group 2 and no problem since then. I guess the old battery just wasn't up to snuff when the engine was hot.

Bob
  • this problem is a not enough cranking power, as stated and B, the cargs running over and flooding the engine, an old fix was to drill a 1/8th hole in base of carb to aid in fuel evaporation, set float level to specs and always hold gas pedal to floor when starting to allow more air in, do not pump accel, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Hello Thanks for imfo.Im in northern calif, wondering what battery company to buy,the couple of auto parts I went to either had the optima which would work great but dosent look right + hold down wont work.or the same battery I have.Is it an Interstate battery? Thanks for help Phill
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Phil, call Deka battery at 610-682-6361 or Antique Auto Battery at 1-800-426-7580. Both of them manufacture traditional style batteries in group 1 and 2 with lots of CCA, and they can tell you who the local dealer is.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I side with Albrite on the problem. Quick tip from Geoff Clark in NZ. This new gas is lighter than the old stuff used to set carb specs. Lower the float 1/8 in. I did in my 49 and it works a lot better.
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Hornet,

Should you go with a new battery, get a group 2 that fills the tray as the original. You'll be sure to have enough amps then. As stated, my battery is a Deka and starts the car reliably hot or cold.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I go along with most of the former comments. Most hot starting problems are caused by fuel expanding and flooding the inlet manifold with fumes, which precludes the presence of oxygen, without which the mixture will not fire. Lower the float level slightly. Another thing to check - is the coil connected the right way round? If polarity is wrong this will cause hard starting when hot.

Geoff.
  • I went to an Interstate Batteries dealer and He had the right size , in 6 volt in stock.

No problems since then

Bob Hickson
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    Hi I Would Check Out Your Ground Cable Make Sure There Isn't Any Paint Under The End Thats Fixed To The Frame And Make Sure You Have A 2nd Ground On The Right Side Of The Engine Back Where The Trany Bults To The Engine It Sounds So Simple But It Will Make A Big Difference Good Luck
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    ...and to add to Paul's comment, don't be afraid to use a battery terminal cleaner on your battery posts and cable, especially if you disconnect the battery each time you store the car. And, are you sure you have the correct size 6-volt battery cable? Most cables nowadays are for 12 v and not of a heavy enough gauge to carry the surge necessary to grind that starter. The 6v stuff is available but probably not at your local parts-r-us car store.
  • Thank you all for the help.Im going to check all ground straps and call the deka battery company. Also check float level Thanks again Phill
This discussion has been closed.