T-86 OD switch, need advice

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've been experiancing a bit of trouble with the OD in my '53 Super Wasp.

The symptoms are as follows:

Cruising down the road in OD, and suddenly I'm coasting when going down hill, the OD will not engage but it will coast as if in "semi-OD".

I've checked and cleaned the contacts in the govenor unit, and that seemed to help it for a while, but alas - it happened again.

I was replacing the dimmer switch and gave the undercar wiring the "once over" and discovered that the switch that is actuated by the cable/rod in the OD lockout had a loose terminal.

Would this switch be the culprit? If so, can I get one to replace the faulty one? Where can I find this switch and does anybody have a part #?

I need advice, thanks in advance.

Mark Hudson

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Try all transmission parts, I just got 2 synchronizers from them for my T86's http://www.alltransmission.com/
  • liT LIS NOT THE GOVERNOR, YOUR SOLINOID IS NOT HOLDING IN, YOU ARE IN (FREE WHEELING, CHECK CURRENT TO SOLINOID. CLEAN CONTACTS, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Thanks Dave and Bill

It is the current being interrupted to the hold-in solenoid, I just can't pinpoint the interruption.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Temporarily jumper the two wires together on that OD lockout switch, and see if that corrects the problem. You can run it that way until you find a replacement switch or get that one repaired. They get oil in them and the contacts don't make connection. They're fairly easy to disassemble and clean. Also, the fellow, "J. Pinto" who advertises in Hemmings for OD component repair, can likely fix it.
  • Thanks Park, I'll do that.

I'm pretty sure its the lockout switch. Things go fine until I lock OD out and try to go back into OD via shifting the cable while the kickdown switch is pressed.Then, I'm freewheeling with no OD.

Has to be the lockout switch, when I lock it out - I'm sure oil is getting between the contacts. The solenoid is super dandy, its just getting fire to it that seems to be the problem.

Thanks fellas!

Mark
This discussion has been closed.