Ebay 1949 Convert

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Note To Everyone...if you paint your car shiny black make sure its straight!

It will be interesting to see what she ultimately goes for (11100 already) but pictures hide more than they show and this one shows alot

fp_bconv.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-CONVERTIBLE-POWER-TOP-1949-HUDSON-COMMODORE-CONVERTIBLE-VERY-NICE_W0QQitemZ4572944028QQcategoryZ6472QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• Nice body....but what is up with that dash? Am I stoned or is it chromed?
  • BTW, I wonder what happened to the 49 that was meant to hit the RM auction at Meadowbrook? I just checked it and it mysteriously dissappeared. Guess the seller pulled it. I think the $110K for that 51 Hornet due to Pebble Beach. That Monterey auction draws the mega rich.... While I would like to see those prices hold, I really think that was a classic case of the boys with too much money fighting over one car.....a nice one at that. If this keeps up I will change my mind about keeping mine and sell it too.....well, if I ever finish it that is.
  • rambos_ride
    Nice body....but what is up with that dash? Am I stoned or is it chromed?

Well it looks like a nice body that was "rode hard and put away wet"

If that is the original black paint and is the body is wavy then I'm ok with that but - if someone restored and/or painted it - they could have at least made it straight!

Looks like the dash is chromed to me...if I knew you better I might say both:)
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Yep Dennis It is chrome! and red..I wonder what the toggle switch on the driver side glove box door is for?.. I think a more discrete location could have been found. With my old eyes and a blurry monitor, I can't see much wrong with the body..But I ain't bidding either.Looks better than the 492 I sold for $4,500 back in 76-77.
  • tHIS CAR BELONGED TO MEMBER RUSS, CANT REMEMBER LAST NAME, FROM INDIAN WELLS, CAL, NOTE LIC PLATE FRAME. hE TRIED TO SELL IT TO ME FOR AROUND 30, i OFFERED 25, iT NEEDS A LOT OF HELP, HE ADVERTISED IT IN hEMMINGS AND THIS DEALER BOUGHT IT AND WANTS TO CUT A FAT HOG. IT WAS ADVERTISED IM hEMMINGS FOR 32k, i BELIEVE, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • I think on a nice sunny day that chromed dash may be a health hazard. And of course if one car went for 110 grand all cars should go for this. I like that logic. My sedan is actually a super rare hardtop convertible only made 1 of them. ;)
  • thats what iam wanted to do to my dash better think about that option. maybe do th ewindow trim around the front window,but mine is also a hard top too. got the motor and tranny out today.
  • IMHO- Nothing looks as nice as a stock 48 - 49 wood-grained dashboard with all those nice chrome bezels... It was the bling-bling for the forties!
  • Didn't that car sell for $35K and change???
  • Bill Albright-

Just signed on to this message board tonight. I've been looking for a Hudson Convert. for many, many years, preferably a '49. When this one popped up on E-Bay, I about jumped out of my skin. Not being one of the "mega-rich" auctioners at the high-falutin', snotty, bid-for-alls, this car nearly fills my "bill of wants" that I've generated over the years. It is not a "numbers matching car", i.e., the engine (I found out through another site with this car on it) is from a "53 Hornet-308 with the Twin-H-Power carbs (which is exactly what I want). This fact alone, according to

Jackson, from BJ-Auctions, should represent approx. 20-25% decrease in value.

I realize this car (if it sells at all) will probably go for $30-$35000 and I am seriously considering bidding as I've been watching it like a hawk since the 12th. The auction ends on Thurs, afternoon. While I don't mind paying a little extra for a really nice car, it IS sight unseen. In your post, you mentioned that the car "needs a lot of help" . . . any light you could shed as to it's condition would be most appreciated. I did find out that the restoration took place 20 yrs. ago and it has had 7000 miles put on the car since then, according to the seller. This car is in California and I'm an hour from the Atlantic Ocean--I would hate to end up with a very pretty, 3800 lb. hunk-'o-junk that I traveled 3000 miles to pick up only to learn that my "dream car" needed another 30K invested to just to hold it together.

Thanks-

RL Chilton
  • The auto dealer "owner" must think he's at Barrett-Jackson and will get $75K for that car. I sure as hell don't see that in that car, not even $35,700, to be quite honest! Must be trying to send his kid to college on that one car, I'm guessing.
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    It's back on Ebay. #4577727980
  • rambos_ride
    Seems like the seller has changed the wording on the detail of the car = no more mention of the 110k Convert that sold at the Monteray auction and the description looks more acurate as to the real condition of the car

If I had the money I still wouldn't pay more than 25k for the car. At 35k-40k plus you would have a difficult time restoring this one and breaking even for your efforts...

VERY NICE OLDER RESTORATION OF A VERY SOLID ULTRA RARE CAR--IT IS POWERED BY A TWIN "H" 308 6--3 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION--DRIVE ANYWHERE--POWER TOP AND WINDOWS--FACTORY WIRES--TOP IS OLD BUT STILL OK---PAINT IS OLD BUT STILL SHINES--VERY STRONG RUNNER--EVERYTHING WORKS--AUTOHAUS LOS GATOS 408 370 2655---BETTER CALL IF INTERESTED---IT IS GOING TO SELL!!!!
  • Just thought I'd let you guys know, I bid on that car. My max bid was 35, 600, even though Mr. Albright advised me to not go over 30K. It didn't matter much, though as the dealer told me on the phone that the reserve was set at $52,500. Can you believe it? My guess is he'll hold on to it for a while, put it on e-bay one or two more times and eventually sell it for 35-40K. I believe they paid 32,600 for it or very near to that figure. In the meantime, I'll keep looking . . . elsewhere, of course.
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    Hey guys ,

I thought that I'd shed a little light on this car. I saw it for sale for 34,999. about 9 months ago not on ebay. The car was and estate car that need to be cleaned up and slightly refurbished. I did not see the car but spoke with the family. The vendor who has it listed now must have bought it and cleaned it up new wheels and tires ect.... good detialing. I don't know about the dashboard. I believe that because of the rapid increase of Hudsons in general the vendor thought he could make a good buck on a quick flip.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    Rumor has it that this car has been "AROUND THE BLOCK" so to speak and has over 400,000 miles on it
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    TOM-WA- wrote:
    Rumor has it that this car has been "AROUND THE BLOCK" so to speak and has over 400,000 miles on it

That is only 7200 miles a year for 57 years.
  • Exactly what does this dealer think it's worth??? Must think it's a $75K car, is all I can figure. Pay the kid's way through college with one sale, maybe?
  • RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    ????Why did he turn down $38,601 if he was only asking $34,900 in the other ad???
  • rambos_ride
    RG53Hornet wrote:
    ????Why did he turn down $38,601 if he was only asking $34,900 in the other ad???

They probably have had it for sale so long they can't remember where all the listings are at - or they sunk more money into it!
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    I agree. Someone will eventually pay up.
  • With a 50/50 guarantee - 50 feet or fifty seconds after the $$$ changes hands!
  • Hell, the chome dash alone is worth $50,000 ....or so he thinks. Or is that the deductible for driving such a safety hazard. Talk about having a blind spot. As long as the sun is out everything around that car is a blind spot.
This discussion has been closed.