stepdown engine in 1940 car

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone know what is involved in putting a stepdown 6 in a 1940 Traveler (short wheelbase car, 113" wheelbase? I have heard that the front motor mounts must be moved ahead on the frame, but there does not appear to be enough room. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• I'm not sure about a StepDown engine, but you might consider either a standard 212 (3x5) splasher, or a Jet engine. I understand the Jets are a rather good fit in the late thirties Hudsons.
  • You'd have to move the firewall back about 5 to 6 inches.....thats how they got a 308 in a Jet.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    PZOOM
    HI WELL FOR STARTERS I THINK WHAT YOU HEARD WAS THAT A 308 HORNET ENGINE WILL FIT IN A 40 TO 47 HUDSON AND THAT IS CORRECT BUT ONLY IN THE STANDARD 116" WB OR THE LONGER CC MODELS BUT AS FOR PUTTING ONE IN A TRAVLER 112" WB CAR IT IS A LOT OF WORK! YOU SEE IN THE LONGER WB CARS THERE ARE 2 SETS OF RAD HOLES ONE SET FOR 6 CLY AND 1 SET FOR 8 CLY WHEN INSTALLING A 308 OR OTHER STEPDOWN ENGINE YOU USE THE 8 CYL HOLES IN YOUR 40 YOU ONLY HAVE 1 SET OF HOLES AND THEY ARE FOR THE 6 SO SORRY NO EASY WAY TO DO THE JOB
    HUDSONLY
    frown.gifPAULARGETYPE
  • Regarding using a Jet motor, this too would entail usning the entire unit, i.e. engine, clutch, and transmission, and the latter has a long extension on it which may not fit the chassis. The shift linkages are also different, having two levers onthe box. The rear mount is the same, but the front mounts would need shifting slightly, and the radiator probably shifted forward slightly. The Jet motor is about 2 inches longer than the splasher 6. As Paul says, there's no easy way, sorry,
    Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.