New Gas Tank for 39s!

DirtyDave
DirtyDave Member
edited January 2016 in HUDSON
For all of you, like me, that want to put a square peg in a round hole here is a solution to a 76 year old small gas tank. On my 39 112 Coupe I am using a NEW 1956 TBird tank available for $136 shipped! Obviously the neck requires an addition but it goes through the stock hole like a dream and its ~17 gallons.

You can email me for pictures because for some reason (not lack of talent) I cant post any.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Hi Dave - posted the pictures (from the email you sent me).
  • Thanks bud!
    That's a 1000 words saved!
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    were did you buy your gas tank at thanks
  • http://www.am-autoparts.com/

shipped free same day
    Spectra Premium is the manufacturer.
    F31B is part #
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Remarkable!  Is this tank deeper (vertical dimension) than the original one?  (Not sure what the capacity of the original was, but it was surely less than 17.5 gallons.)  Also: does the gas gauge sending unit attach correctly on the new one?  I don't suppose there is a dimensioned drawing around anywhere, so that other late-thirties Hudson owners can check the fit to their cars, is there?
  • I hope to answer all the questions. I am a car guy who became a Hudson guy.
    Sending unit not a concern to me as my car was purchased in pieces (still luv ya Kevin!) so I dont know what stock sender looks like not what ohms empty and full.
    This has a 6 hole sending unit pattern and a separate 5/16 pickup. There are adapters to go 5 hole universal.
    Tomorrow I will take photos of the two together. Believe they are same depth, new one is wider and longer. (30x23 roughly)

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2016
    Oh, this is Kevin C's old car.  And before that, Paul Schuster's.

The easy answer on the sending unit would be to buy a repro 1955 T-bird unit from Dennis Carpenter, which should fit right into the tank.  And assuming you go with 12 volts, the sender should work fine because wasn't 1955 a "12 volt year" for Ford?. 

If for some reason you are keeping the original Hudson dash instruments at 6 volts, you might contact Paul himself -- I believe he is offering Carpenter sending units which have been modified so they can be used in Hudsons, and will work with the Hudson dash gauge.  However, the float arm may NOT work with the enlarged size of the T-bird tank you have. Might have to bend the arm so it reads correctly.

Anyway, you have a couple possible ways to go on the sender.
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    I think 56 was the year ford changed to 12 volts
  • Each individual will have a different goal from accurate restoration to in my case full up hot rod. My dash gauges will not be stock and my cars are always 12 volt because it is all I know. I respect and appreciate folks who maintain correct cars or restore to correct. I spent a year considering which way to go before I sold the powertrain.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2016

More pictures from Dave, comparing the two gas tanks...

-imageimageimageimage

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Thanks a lot, Dave, this will be of help to those with older tanks which have rusted out.  Looks wider than the original, maybe a tad deeper, and about the same length from front to back.

Looks like the filler pipe from the old tank could easily be welded to the new tank, or possibly a new one bent from steel tube.

Where does the gas line attach, and is it a similar fitting on the new tank, as on the old?  Where does the gas sender go?  Do they both go in the blue area on the new tank?

The price of the T-bird tank makes this cheaper than a Gas Tank Renu overhaul, but on the other hand you then have to weld on a new filler pipe and maybe a pickup tube with the correct threads for the gas line.  Also, the fuel sender arm might have to be bent into so strange shape, to fit the new tank.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited January 2016
    FYI
    The ReNu Process in my area is over $300 now so those minor additions to utilize the Bird tank' would be helpful to people on a budget and not buiding a Show restoration. The Filler tube can be solved by installing a elbow hose using the original Fill pipe ontoTBird tank. A better pickup can be brazed into tank (Before fueling) since the screw on pickup are prone to leaking. Just saying....

• Definitely more doable for a modified Hudson. The Fuel pickup is on the short side opposite the fill neck just below the seam. (what were they thinking!?). It can be seen in the 3rd picture just barely. 

As Ol Racer says I will need to put a real pickup in it, especially since my "twin H" (dual 4BBL 500CFMs) will need a 3/8 line to keep that beast from getting thirsty.

I will decide once the tank is securely mounted whether all steel or steel/rubber/steel becomes my filler solution.
  • Rocket
    Dave I can not thank you enough for posting this I bought one of these for my 1936 Terraplane  and with just a few changes my radiator shop said this tank should bolt right into my car and I not only did I end up with a brand new gas tank it is a bigger tank Thank You So Much Tom.
  • Great to hear.

I am going all steel filler. Used a couple exhaust pieces from the parts store. 

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    That is absolutely awesome!
    Thank you sooo much!

Jeff
  • Rocket
    Dave could you tell me what you used for a sending unit the shop has the filler pipe on the tank (all steel) like you did now I need to find a 12 volt sending unit thanks Tom.
  • I used a new sending unit which had an ohm range that matched my stewart warner gauge. Believe there are 5 different ranges for vehicles through the years. My car is 12V, but the sender is really just a path to ground on all the gauges I have worked with on other hot rods. Not a historical real Hudson expert so I cant say how that sender worked. Bought my car in pieces so I dont even have any knowledge from taking it apart.
    Hope I helped a little.
  • HUDSONBROTHER1
    HUDSONBROTHER1 Expert Adviser
    I'm going to have to check the measurements and see if it will work in my 46 2 door sedan.
  • Did it look like it would fit your 46 2 door sedan?

Just hoping it does...  I have the same issue on a 47 2 door sedan
  • Rocket
    Thanks so much Dave I just got mine finished for my 1936 Terraplane and I could not be happier this is the only way to go.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey Rocket,
    Wondering if you kept the original exhaust system routing? Any problems with the pipe running next to the gas tank?
    Also what did you use for the fuel pickup tube?
    THANKS!
    Jeff
This discussion has been closed.