Headlight relay

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
I would like instructions on how to install a headlight relay on my 54 Hornet.
Could you please draw a diagram and maybe a picture.  Hudsonly  Ray

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might want to mention whether you have the relay already and if so, is it a single or dual?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Witch is better single or dual .
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    I have one on my Hornet that was purchased from Fifth Ave Auto Parts in Kansas for about  $35 and comes with instructions. Basically  it  is wired through the dimmer switch and from the battery "hot" wire with a fused circuit. Can't beat it .
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the help I think it would be good to have a relay.  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi Ken  The car is 6V. I have been thinking of going 12V but am not sure.I hear a lot of problems with breaking noses.  Ray
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Here is a diagram I used for a 6 volt relayimage
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks 48 Hud    for the picture.  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Hi 48 Hud  I went out to my shed and come up with a headlight relay
    that looks the same as you used. How do I tell if it is 6v or 12 v. and how do I test the relay to make sure it works properly  Ray
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Ray
    Take the cover off and see if there is a factory label that gives the voltage.
    To test follow the diagram and connect up an old headlight to the terminals labelled lights and using a jumper put power to each of the switch terminals one at a time and see if the headlight comes on or connect up an old dimmer switch as shown and test .

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    What's the main advantage of retrofitting headlight relays? Is it to keep from running all that amperage up under the dash and back?
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Keeps the headlight current from running through the switch,now all the switch does is turn on the relay.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Think of the miles of lousy wiring and corroded switches that the electricity must pass through on the way to the lights.  No wonder they're so dim, nowadays.

Another way to insure brighter lights is to ground the light socket via a wire to the frame, so that you don't have to depend upon the electricity having to run through rusty bolts and brackets to ground itself.

This is especially true for the pre-1940 cars with the old style headlights, which are fairly dim to begin with.

I love relays so much, that I even installed one to power my pre-war radio.  The on-off switch (never a good design to begin with) was always running hot due to the amperage it had to handle. Now, it only has to signal the relay, which does all of the work. 
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks Jon B  That is very good information .  Ray
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

I was going to ask the same question about the advantages of fitting a relay and find it's been asked and answered.

Thanks for the information guys!

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the great info. I appreciate it.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Just FYI, the max draw of two 12v H6024 headlamps is 10 amp, so I don't believe you need such big fuses or separate relays.  A 15-20 amp relay/fuse system will more than suffice for headlights only.  That's the beauty of doubling to 12V!  A 6V system may require double the amps, wire thickness, and fuse capacity.  If you are re-doing a whole bunch of wiring consider a modern 12V system under the dash.  Either way, 60 yr old wiring carrying all this current scares me.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    My American Autowire kit came with 20 amp breaker as you described. I should not have used the term 'fuse' whre a breaker was indicated I just did not want anyone rejecting this kit because the breaker seems too low in amps.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited February 2015
    Here is one of my post from a few years ago.  I did a relay and also halogen insert bulbs.  You can see the difference.  Not afraid to drive at night after this.

see below cutting and pasting threads no longer work for some reason.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I finally got around to installing my 6V headlight relay and replaced the standard sealed beams w/ reflectors and 6V dual filament halogen bulbs. I have never been really happy driving my '50 at night since it has such a short light reach. So here are the before and after pictures, not great but I think you get the idea. In use it is even more dramatic. I would recommend this upgrade to everyone!

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The big advantage of q-h bulbs is the extra lumens from the same wattage.   My 1928 Essex still has its original steel sheathed wiring, and the  headlamp switch used to get so hot the  solder in the fuse would melt occasionally.  The problem was that originally the bulbs were only 24 watt, and  you can only get 36 watt these days, so the extra current was too much for the old circuitry.  I  upgraded the charging system by fitting a later model (post war)  2-brush generator and voltage regulator, which fitted straight in to the Essex cradle.  How's that for interchangability?  All I had to do was weld the drive collar on to the front nut of the generator.   I then installed a wire direct from the bulb holder to the chassis for good ground circuit,  fitted a relay right up by the radiator, and  q-h bulbs.   These lights are fantastic, and still using 6 volts and 87 year-old wiring.  Now when driving at night, with the lights on low beam, I let the oncoming traffic flick their lights at me twice, then I give them head beam full bore!   Only down side (if you could call it that) is that you no longer get a net reading on the ammeter, as the supply for the headlamps now comes direct from the  battery terminal on the starter.   So now  instead of showing about 2 amps charge when driving with the headlamps on  (before fitting the relay), it shows 15 amps.   Enough wittering!
    Geoff 
This discussion has been closed.