Ebay Hudson Hornet- For Sale again???

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
:mad: There is something not right here..... just did another view of the Forum and the following came up... RL Chilton bought this car and picked it up... will be sending email to RL... as soon as this edit is complete... Y'all let the rest of HETers know about this .... Ken

:confused: I thought this car sold and had been picked up by a HETer who posted here? Am I missing something??? This car was previously listed in the following thread: http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3202&highlight=1952+Hornet+Ebay

The new sale requires ....preapproval before bidding... did the car sell or not??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-1952-HUDSON-HORNET-2-Tone-Very-Nice-No-Rust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6472QQitemZ4586677409QQrdZ1

6a_1.JPG

2b_1.JPG

as my grandkids say ... Wassssup?

Comments

• Yes, this car is happily at home and in my garage. It is NOT for sale. This is a mistake and I'll let E-bay know about it. What's sad is that the new "Buy It Now" price is 5500.00-which is considerably less than what I paid.
  • Something smells very fishy here. That, or the exact identical twin of the car is out there.....umm....don't think so.
  • THIS IS A SCAM!! Please, no one bid on this and don't click on the "Buy It Now". There is a "Buy It Now" price of 5500.00 and the seller listed is not the same as the nice people I bought the car from. Someone's trying to make a quick 5K.

Russell Chilton
  • hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    I think the same people have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. Unbelievable
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    WOW! Thats scary...
  • I notified E Bay of this and they are looking into it.......Something is rotten in Denmark
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    Have seen hundreds of these SCAMs on Ebay... The seller's ID has been "hijacked", and is being used to post a fake auction... It is "pre-approval" and you'll never get an approval to bid thru/via Ebay - That way, they have the possibility of getting multiple people to send the 'quick' money for what they think is a STEAL - and it is - problem is, those that follow-through on the instructions are the ones getting something stolen from them, their $$$

Ebay is VERY lax about following through and tracking-down these scams, as the actual transactions are always 'outside' of Ebay. About all they do is 'close' the auction - and only then when a complaint is registered.

I sent well over 100 complaints on various SCAM auctions in the past couple of years - and gave up, as it is a big waste of my time.

If you make an inquiry on this auciton, as questions, etc., when it eventually is closed by Ebay, you'll get a message from Ebay warning you not to send any money to them...

Couldn't agree more - eBay - I both love it (the idea) and hate it (corruption, greed and graft)

Ebay doesn't do enough to eliminate these type of threats - why? Because they currently are making money hand-over-fist and by instrumenting a business model or policies that would make it impossible for someone to do something like this as it would cut into their bottom line.

The Non-Paying bidder on one of my auctions had been with ebay for 5 years and when I looked up their personal information the name was "John Doe" - Come on! I filed reports and sent about 10 emails to ebay - guess - what the guy is still an ebay member...

Personally - I'll never sell another car on ebay unless its worth less than 2k so as to stay below the radar of these bullsh@t scammers!
  • Couldn't agree more - eBay - I both love it (the idea) and hate it (corruption, greed and graft)

Ebay doesn't do enough to eliminate these type of threats - why? Because they currently are making money hand-over-fist and by instrumenting a business model or policies that would make it impossible for someone to do something like this as it would cut into their bottom line.

The Non-Paying bidder on one of my auctions had been with ebay for 5 years and when I looked up their personal information the name was "John Doe" - Come on! I filed reports and sent about 10 emails to ebay - guess - what the guy is still an ebay member...

Personally - I'll never sell another car on ebay unless its worth less than 2k so as to stay below the radar of these bullsh@t scammers!

Vicki and I have been buying from e-bay sellers since mid-'99, if I remember right. While we are not "power sellers" or even "power buyers" by any stretch of the imagination, we've had almost 100 transactions and every single one of them . . . I mean EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION has been executed exactly as expected. Most are not worth mentioning, i.e., we did our homework, checked out the seller's ID, bid on something, won it, paid for it, product got sent, both parties leave positive feedback . . . no biggie. It was also probably for a $10 or $20 or maybe a whopping $30 item.

The very best experience we've EVER had involving E-bay was buying the Hornet. Of course, the car was close enough to us to go test drive it, check it out, do the touchy-feely thing, get to know the sellers, etc. I honestly don't believe we would have bought the car if we had not been able to do these things. Of course, the item in question wasn't a $20 whim.

Dan's right in that it just isn't prudent to spend thousands sight unseen for anything, IMHO, especially an automobile. This whole scam irritates me because I think that 99% of the E-bay buyers/sellers are good people. It's always that 1% that's out to flat-out ROB someone. These days there are literally tens of thousands of individuals making their income solely through E-bay. Most of them are good people just trying to feed their families, like all of us.

I don't yet know what impact we have had on E-bay, but if they'll pull the listing, that will be good enough for us.
  • RL Chilton wrote:
    Vicki and I have been buying from e-bay sellers since mid-'99, if I remember right. While we are not "power sellers" or even "power buyers" by any stretch of the imagination, we've had almost 100 transactions and every single one of them . . . I mean EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION has been executed exactly as expected. Most are not worth mentioning, i.e., we did our homework, checked out the seller's ID, bid on something, won it, paid for it, product got sent, both parties leave positive feedback . . . no biggie. It was also probably for a $10 or $20 or maybe a whopping $30 item.

The very best experience we've EVER had involving E-bay was buying the Hornet. Of course, the car was close enough to us to go test drive it, check it out, do the touchy-feely thing, get to know the sellers, etc. I honestly don't believe we would have bought the car if we had not been able to do these things. Of course, the item in question wasn't a $20 whim.

Dan's right in that it just isn't prudent to spend thousands sight unseen for anything, IMHO, especially an automobile. This whole scam irritates me because I think that 99% of the E-bay buyers/sellers are good people. It's always that 1% that's out to flat-out ROB someone. These days there are literally tens of thousands of individuals making their income solely through E-bay. Most of them are good people just trying to feed their families, like all of us.

I don't yet know what impact we have had on E-bay, but if they'll pull the listing, that will be good enough for us.

I have well over 150 transactions on ebay - buying - since around 1998 and I also have had nothing but good results. Only two problems, one was slow shipping, but turned out it came thru the Canadian postal system - and they, apparently are worse than ours. The other was a little harder to track down - the guy apologized for taking nearly a month to ship - said he had to leave town for a while. But I did get the item. So I give that one at least a B.

I will say 95% of my purchases on ebay have been $30 or under, but still and all, even tho the remaining 5% were $50 to $100, still had good transactions and good results.

Given the large amount of trading going on it is inevitable that there are going to be some people who are going to loose out. And given the huge number of transactions it is understandable that ebay cannot keep track of everything, nor respond until a complaint is filed. It's like the man says, you pays your money and you keep your fingers crossed.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • I've had over 400 transactions on EBay without any real problems. I've sold 15 cars and shipped them all over the world since 1999. Most of my experience has been with buying though with very few items over $100. I always figured that if it didn't go through the deal wouldn't break the bank as it were.

I bought the '54 via EBay and quite frankly was pretty nervous about the purchase until I got to see the car and the seller handed me a packet of receipts for over $10,000 worth of work done on the car that I bought for $4600.

I've also seen and received a lot of 'spoof's and 'phishing' emails that I routinely delete without a thought. I would however never 'prequalify' or purchase anything outside EBay from an unknown seller. Even though it's not much consolation and I'm not sure how much protection it really offers, I used the guarantee from EBay for the purchase.
  • I sent him a question: "So, are you in New York or Florida? These pics are the same as a car that sold a couple of weeks ago on ebay. Is this your car?"

Like that'll get an honest answer, if any reply at all.

Scammers just pi$$ me off.
  • rambos_ride
    I sent him a question: "So, are you in New York or Florida? These pics are the same as a car that sold a couple of weeks ago on ebay. Is this your car?"

Of course another reason someone might do something like this is to phish for email addresses to abuse and/or general contact information (see 'pre-qualify') to use as identity theft - as opposed to getting the cash...just something to think about before contacting a known frauder - which this listing is.

• Not if you hide your email address, just check the box that says so. The only way they can reply is in their sale ad in the "questions for seller".
  • I sent him a question: "So, are you in New York or Florida? These pics are the same as a car that sold a couple of weeks ago on ebay. Is this your car?"

Well, me too! I noticed the Florida, New York and it looked bogus, so I had to look it up on Mapquest.com and sure enough, in So. NY, close to NJ is a little speck on the map that is known as Florida, NY. I think this is either someone trying to make a quick buck OR, like Dan said, someone fishing for to steal their identity. Surprisingly enough, not too long before we bought the car, Vicki and I had our username and password stolen (through my ignorance) and used it to post (i,e, sell) a car. They used my name so they wouldn't have to pay the $40 or whatever it is to list the car. It took a while to get that all cleared up and we had to change our password. Probably several people have asked the seller a question regarding his honesty, but I almost wish they hadn't. We were trying to use a third party to maybe get info on the culprit (probably futile, I know).

Russell Chilton :mad:
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    I am mocking up some hollywood regulators on a 50 hudson convertible 1/4 back windows. I am having trouble figuring out how to make the transition from cylinders. Can they bolt up or do they need to be modified some how? i bought some 54 regs at the national and was given some regs that supposly were off an hollywood from a convertible guy in New York. They are slightly different in size but both have one arm for the window as I would expect it would have (are differnt from the back door sedan regs). But both have no match to bolt up to the body panels on the convert. Anybody have pics or ideas? I assume hollywood regs would work. The front door hollywood regs work fine.

thanks Russ
  • rambos_ride
    I suppose someone could just hit the Buy It Now button - that would instantly end the auction listing - and then just not pay and call the hoser on the deal...

• I suppose someone could just hit the Buy It Now button - that would instantly end the auction listing - and then just not pay and call the hoser on the deal...

I suppose they could. Wouldn't want to do it with my normal user name, though. It's silly, but I still have a 100% feedback rate and doggone it, I want to keep it! :eek:
  • rambos_ride
    RL Chilton wrote:
    I suppose they could. Wouldn't want to do it with my normal user name, though. It's silly, but I still have a 100% feedback rate and doggone it, I want to keep it! :eek:

I know - me too! I have Zero neg's and only 1 neutral - guess who that was from - My Non-Paying Bidder what an A-hole!

But really if it was a scam and they left bad feedback ebay would have to reverse it right? Of course how much time would that take...

• rambos_ride
    Replying to my own reply...

I created a fictional account with ebay and sent the "seller" an email to see If I could pre-qualify... It also really shows how easy it is to get an ebay account it's ridiculous.

The real question is - Why hasn't ebay pulled the item yet?
  • As of 10:35 this item has finally been removed by eBay... this is what is posted

Invalid Item

This listing (4586677409) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.

If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction canceled. If anybody contacts you to complete the sale, please ignore the request. Completing the sale outside of eBay may be unsafe and will not be covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

Items that ended more than 90 days ago are no longer accessible through the eBay system.

.... Hope they get a handle on the perp.. and give them to the Law.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    When buying on cars on ebay remember that you are the guy (or gal) with the money, and you get to dictate the terms and conditions.

When bidding, make it quite clear to the seller the conditions you are placing on your bid.

eg I'm placing this bid on the condition that if I'm top bidder I will send you $100 within 24 hours of auction close. After the vehicle has been inspected to make sure the goods are as described, title is in order and there are no liens, payment will be made. This process may take 7 to 14 days. If these conditions are not acceptable to you please cancel my bid.

If the sellers are genuine they will go along with you. If the sellers don't like it you are probably better off out of there.

The worst thing you can do is get swept up in the vendor's rush rush of 30% deposit within 24 hours, remainder within 72 hours. This where the shonky operators catch people.

You're the person with the money so you are in charge of the process, just make sure you spell it out when you bid.
  • I'm new to this forum, but have enjoyed reading and learning so much from all of you about my new passion-Hudsons. Here is the reply I got from the dubious seller.

Hi ,

Before i can add you on my pre-approve list i just wanna let you know the terms of this deal.

The car will be shipped from Ullapool ,Scotland & i will cover shipping fees, since the car is shipped on a military cargo , all you have to pay for this car is the BUY IT NOW price ($5.500) . Will be shipped over sea to NY, from there DHL will pick it up and you will receive it within 14 days tops.DHL will deliver the car at your door.

The car is in perfect working condition , no damage,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects, and it is as advertised.You can see more pictures of the car here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/just4army/album?.dir=abc0 ,will be shipped with CLEAR US TITLE.

I work as a sergeant in the US army and i was deployted to work here in Ullapool for a while. I've brought the car here with me 1 week ago so i can drive it during my free time but i found out that i have to pay a large amount of money to register the car here, because it was purchased and registred in US and Europe emission regulations are different from US ones.

I only go home once in 8 months, it's a shame to keep a car like this garraged for such a long time .

If you are interested get back to me and i'll let you know the terms of this deal.

Thank you ,

Sgt. Chris Greenberg

US Army
  • RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    Wow, I had no idea a sergeant in the US Army could make so much money! Shipping cars around the world, and look at his other cars! I’m 43, is that too old to enlist?
  • rambos_ride
    What a freakin' loser - to assume a fictional identity as one of our best.

Our guys are out there all over the world putting themselves in harms way to protect our way of life (I don't want to make this is a political discussion - whether you agree with recent gov. actions you have to support our people in the field)

Of course the reply you got was full of the requisite spelling errors as well but I really love the line about the Euro emissions - for a 1948 Hudson?

What a loser - I hope someone he scams finds him and beats him senseless!
  • bob ward wrote:
    When buying on cars on ebay remember that you are the guy (or gal) with the money, and you get to dictate the terms and conditions.

When bidding, make it quite clear to the seller the conditions you are placing on your bid.

eg I'm placing this bid on the condition that if I'm top bidder I will send you $100 within 24 hours of auction close. After the vehicle has been inspected to make sure the goods are as described, title is in order and there are no liens, payment will be made. This process may take 7 to 14 days. If these conditions are not acceptable to you please cancel my bid.

If the sellers are genuine they will go along with you. If the sellers don't like it you are probably better off out of there.

The worst thing you can do is get swept up in the vendor's rush rush of 30% deposit within 24 hours, remainder within 72 hours. This where the shonky operators catch people.

You're the person with the money so you are in charge of the process, just make sure you spell it out when you bid.

Hate to say it, but you can't set the terms, no matter who you think you are. If the seller has set terms, then you either follow along, or don't bid. Some of the terms set by sellers of cars on eBay are ridiculous, and honestly, I would be affraid to bid on most of the cars on eBay. The unfortunate part of this is that the seller gets to set whatever terms he or she wishes, and you get to abide by them. If you disagree with them, guess what? don't bid.

If the auction looks too good to be true, it likely is.

If something seems fishy, guess what, it is.

If you don't like the terms, contact the seller, ask them whether there is some flexibility, if not thank them for their time and walk away.

nobody forces you to bid on an item, if you don't like the terms, as with any other buying scenario, you don't have to enter into the agreement.

You can't e-mail a seller and say here's my terms and my bid, don't like my terms, cancel it. If you bid at all, you can stipulate whatever you want, once you place a bid, you are accepting the terms of the seller unless you worked something out previous, and this is all legally binding, as far as eBay is concerned. I would be very cautious of this approach.
  • so, what would a person have to do to track down this A#$ H#$@ ? his brashness in absolutely unbelievable . . .
  • I just got through reading all the new posts since last night. I thought I would update everyone with what I know.

We got my mother-in-law involved as a neutral party to try and solicit some more info. Ironically, she received the EXACT same message that DAN58 got (see post above).

As Ken mentioned, we did get E-bay to pull the listing, although I haven't checked that out for sure, yet. As Dan has said, it is unlikely that E-bay will take any further action against the seller, hence known as BOZO. Vicki & I, on the other hand, have not stopped trying to corner the BOZO. We close to DC for a reason and have some connections we are currently pursuing, of which I'll not intentionally be more specific right now.

Some idle random thoughts:

1) If BOZO is in Scotland, why is the car listed that it is in Florida, NY?

2) Someone else mentioned the atrocious spelling and grammatical errors. I've found this to be common. Many scammers are foreigners and English is obviously a second language. This can also bring up huge red flags for those of you who find a listing or e-mail or really any unsolicited material to be somewhat skeptical.

3) It's highly unlikely that BOZO is even in the Army, much less an American. I tend to believe the foreigner theory, myself.

4) I'm not sure about this but I thought that DHL doesn't even DO auto transport. Am I right on this?

5) Did ya'll click on the link that showed BOZO's stable of cars? If you didn't, stop here and go check it out.

6) Dan (I think) mentioned that Sargeants in the Army must make pretty good money to afford such a collection fine automobiles. As a matter of fact, my brother-in-law (Vicki's Brother) IS in fact in SF, in 5th Group and is currently in the Middle East on his 4th tour and will shortly make E-8. He has a 69 Ford PU that is in need of restoration but the funds right now are just not there. While he is getting combat pay right now, I would venture to guess that he makes a salary that is comparable to a teacher's (which in my opinion is grossly under scale). Nevertheless, he can only make it to E-9 (a Chief Master Sargeant) and that is as high as an enlisted man can go (excluding NCOs).

7) His newest "passion": Hudsons. Give me a break, BOZO didn't even wait 3 or 6 months after the REAL sale before he listed my car. He wouldn't know a Hudson if I ran him over with one.

8) Obviously, he doesn't belong to the Hudson community or he NEVER would have listed one. This is a pretty tight-knit group of guys and everyone communicates amongst each other with great regularity. He'd been better off with any Brand-X before a Hudson. Speaking of which, I also haven't checked but is he listing his other "stable" cars on E-Bay. Surely my car isn't the only one.

9) Did you notice that BOZO deleted the picture on the listing that showed the rear of the car? It clearly showed the license plate from West Virginia.

10) Did you also notice that he even gave the link that showed all the additional photos that the REAL seller included in the REAL listing?

I could go on.

We'll see what happens . . .
  • I saw on ebay motors fourm that a fellow was complaining that some one was try to sell his Panthra. I wonder if it's the same guy. His Yahoo photos page has a folder for a Panthra
  • TOM B wrote:
    I notified E Bay of this and they are looking into it.......Something is rotten in Denmark

Denmark: used to own England, France, Ireland, all of Scandinavia during the Viking times. Even Shakespeare wrote about her. Ahhhhh, I miss the good old days! Niels Pedersen
  • Neils, You're drinking too much Tuborg. It was Norway that had the Vikings . The Danes had Victor Borge .Norway had Eric the Red!!
This discussion has been closed.