stepdown tire sizes

2»

Comments

• sfmxiv14
    sfmxiv14 Member
    edited November 2017
    Thx Richard. Sounds like a pain in the butt to change. Probably a pain anyway, just making it a little worse.  I was checking craigslist for wide whitewall tires for sale, and was curious if they would fit or not. 
    Do u know, is the “h”the width or height?
    thx again
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited November 2017
    Read the recommendations above. 215 should be the largest to best use.
     Hard for old men to lift tires anyway~~~ You only want to raise the tire about 1" off ground.
    Wouldn't buy a tire from Craigslist.
  • Do u know recommended size?
  • JDutra
    JDutra Member
    edited November 2017
    My 1952 Hornet had 235/75R15 on it when I purchased the car. The tires were way too large and the sidewalks were rubbing against the rear fender. I switched to the standard tire size specified in the manual: 7.10-15. Going to that size had the added benefit of fitting in the wheel well, and I don't have to worry about difficulties changing a flat. I went with Goodyear Super Cushion wide (4.25 inch) white walls from Universal Tire. Good service. I had only driven radials in my life, and was wary of bias ply, but I find the bias ply a pleasure to drive. My wife also finds the vehicle easier to turn at lower speeds. I don't drive the vehicle a lot, so if you plan to drive longer distances, going with radials may make sense.  My understanding is that the equivalent is 215/75R15. 
  • I also have 235's but have never had them rub the body or skirts and I do love to sling the car since I have the HD anti-sway bar in front and it is a PLEASURE to do that !! But they certainly need to be 225s or 215s; now that is said !
    One thing I have that most likely helps is '54 power steering on my '53.
    Another thing I have that you need to change tires safely is a foldable tire chock to put on the front tire if you have a flat on the back BEFORE jacking the rear body up as high as you can. Important !!
  • Thank u very much my Hudson brothers. 
This discussion has been closed.