Hudson Disk Brake kits, once again available

2»

Comments

• faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    DavidC,  that may have been my bracket.  The samples that I got to start this with didn't include anything to handle the Ebrake cable.  A slight mod to the corner of the bracket creates enough clearance.   Most of the kits I have sold, especially early on, were being used with firewall mounted master cylinders which I do not provide. I have since revised the brackets to have the corner removed. 

I wasn't aware of the Quick Take Up (QTU or low drag) concern with GM Metric calipers until Kerry made me aware of it awhile back. I've researched it across various forums and with various aftermarket suppliers.  There is a lot of misinformation out there, but here is the summary of the QTU calipers as I understand it;  In the early 80s GM changed the caliper design slightly so that the piston seal pulls the piston further from the disk to reduce drag and increase MPG.  To accommodate this change, the master cylinder also changed to provide a large amount of fluid on the initial pedal press to make the pads touch the disk quickly.  In short, QTU calipers should be matched to a QTU master for best performance. 

All that said, the aftermarket has handled this pretty poorly.   In most cases,  it seems that the re builders and OEM suppliers have decided that the older non QTU applications would be acceptable with QTU replacements to minimize their stock. It is difficult if not impossible to tell if a caliper is QTU without taking one apart,  since most suppliers are not aware of this feature and they don't list it in the data sheets.   Some of the big aftermarket suppliers cover this with disclaimers about matching QTU parts,  but in their catalogs also pair these QTU and non QTU items.  

The calipers recommended in my kit by application are supposed to be non QTU to match the master cylinder, but the same part number I reference is generally used on later QTU applications as well.  I cracked one open and sure enough, that one was a QTU type.  Research has lead me to believe the only way to get a non-QTU caliper is buy a new one from a known supplier that sells it as a non QTU such as Wilwood.  

Between Richard and myself,  there are close to 250 of these kits out there.  I'm sure that there are some that are not yet installed, and many that have an unknown (to me or Richard) master cylinder.  Neither of us have had any complaints of this nature regarding the typical QTU symptoms.   Richard tested a few master cylinders before he arrived at the 7/8" bore unit which gave the best pedal pressure and overall performance. This is a manual master cylinder in fairly large car,  but the feedback I have gotten to this point has all been positive relating to the overall performance.      

Going forward,  I will recommend and include known NON-QTU caliper part numbers and supplier information with the kit.  I am still researching this and getting samples for my car to confirm everything.    I will also describe this in the instructions, so that if a user is selecting their own master cylinder solution they will understand which type  of calipers they should use (QTU or non-QTU). 

Thanks,
    Matt

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Matt, I finally found this older post I remembered reading.
    Haveyou received feedback on your brake kit usage recently?
  • faustmb
    Sorry for the delay, I'm not on here too often lately. I have had only good feedback, save one customer that is working to determine a stiff pedal issue. I've still been supplying kits, but have been very busy with my own projects and other things that consume my time outside of work. There is another company in CA I think that lists Hudson brake kits along with most other brands. I'm not aware of anyone supplying a master cylinder solution.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Matt,
    I'm really pleased with the front disc brakes that I put on my 48.  I took it down the same mountain today that scared the crap out of me ten years ago when the drum brakes overheated and had no problems at all.  I was wondering if the brackets and hubs that come with your kit would fit my Kaiser since both use the same bolt pattern and wheel size.  I figure I can work out a master cylinder solution from other sources.  Let me know what you think.  
    Jason  
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2015

I haven't been following this thread at all but saw latest posts.
    FYI: I have Labud's {Fla} disk brake kit on my '53.

Perhaps the parts fit the other kits also and would help someone.

I do not have power brakes nor do I have a soft pedal (even with DOT-5) and I am perfectly happy with the response. But perhaps I don't know what a soft pedal feels like.

• raidmagic
    raidmagic Senior Contributor
    I bought one of these kits and have it about 1/2 installed. I bought an under the floor master with booster. I'll report back when I get it together to let you all know how the master works with the system.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    My experience when I removed drum brakes and installed M&N Master Power Disc Brake Kit on my 84 El Camino, the kit came with either 7/8" or 1' master cylinder. It's been to long ago to remember but I remember what it was like when I barely touched the brake pedal/ It was like a panic stop trying to throw me into the steering wheel every time I barely touched the brake pedal. I changed master cylinder with one that had 1 1/8" bore and now it stops the way it should with light foot pressure. They probably put the smaller master cyl. for none power brakes in kit by mistake.

Lee O'Dell
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    My El Camno is 64 not 84.
    Lee
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited August 2015
    FYI

Matt's Disc Brake Assembly's and Hub's are really nicely machined. Master Cyl's can be sourced elsewhere.

.A Site that ive utilized for Tech Info, Master Cyl's, Residual Valves & much more is ecihotrodbrakes.com. ECI overs under floor pedal assy's.
  • Raid,

I'm curious about clearance issues with an underfloor booster in a stepdown......there isn't much room under there even with one of the small diameter units. I can't imagine that it wouldn't protrude below frame level. Have you dealt with this part of the project yet?

Frank

• faustmb
    Jason, Glad to hear that you are happy with them. I have no experience with Kaiser, so that would be a research project.

Raid, I'd also be curious about fitting a booster under a stepdown. There is almost no room under there, especially on SWB cars. I have a friend that fit a compact power booster in his 47 truck, but I haven't seen the finished product yet.

Matt
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    So Matt, get busy doing your homework LOL ....
  • Necroing this old thread.

Im planing out my build. (401 Nailhead in a 49 4dr)
    Wanting to go disks all around.
    Looking at Wilwood.

These kits being made still?

Ship internationally? (New Zealand)

Thanks
    Alex
This discussion has been closed.