Hudson - Toyota wet clutch plate

2»

Comments

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Does the Kevlar go on both sides of the clutch plate and are the grooves are needed on both sides? Is the overall thickness of both sides is .225 cm (assuming that you guys are on the metric system).  If that's the case, I am assuming that Kevlar must come in different thicknesses.  
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Yes, the Kevlar goes on both sides, the thickness given is in imperial, and grooves are on both sides. The thickness of the bare plate is .075 therefore the thickness of Kevlar on each side is also .075.Some of us old Aussie's still use imperial measurements.
  • Huddy42
    Jason, the plates shown will be used with a pressure plate I'm  rebuilding at present to suit a 1937 Hudson 8 cylinder for one of our club members, hope the pictures come out clear enough for you to see.image
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Commercial Clutch rebuilders in USA have used this and other material to renew forklift fluid filled clutch packs. They also use cork as required.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    That is real interesting.  I have a spare clutch that came out of an old parts car and if I can find a clutch repair shop that is willing to mimic what you guys do in Australia (at reasonable price) I may have it done just for the heck of it.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A bit of a milestone today. Got all the major components cobbled together in the chassis and went for a trundle up and down the yard. Its probably the first time the car has moved under its own power in 40 or 50 years.

The engine/kevlar wet clutch/Toyota 5 speed combo seems like its going to work OK.

The little geared starter motor has an amazing amount of power, it turns over the H8 at pretty much the same speed with the plugs in or out.

I've fitted a 37/8/9 steering box and the steering is nice and light. There is 100kg or so of sheet metal and radiator yet to add to the front end which hopefully won't change the feel of the steering too much.

Onwards and upwards!

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    love your project! very practical and still Hudson powered---
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Brilliant ; I love to see cars coming along and remember many happy times just driving a chassis around because I could!
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Congratulations, Bob!  That's awesome. :D
  • Huddy42
    Good to hear Bob, very wise move going for the later steering box, lucky fella finding one here in the first place, we ratted most wrecking yards years ago of those later boxes.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I have 2 spare ones here in South Australia. Postage can be high and difficult to wrap and put under the tree.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    It seems odd to have so many speeds, ie a 5-speed box given that a H8 can start in second then slip into top soon after.

Would you start in second with the 5-speed then slip into fourth? With 5th for the motorway/open road?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Huddy 42,
    I went to the local clutch repair shop and they say they can't put Kevlar on my old spare clutch disk, but can attach cork as used in a forklift as shown in the attached pics.  In looking at what you intend to install in the '37 mentioned above, it looks like it's made of cork instead of Kevlar. Am I correct?
  • Huddy42
    If they use it in fork lifts I would imagine it should be fine,do they guarantee it. .??
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Good question.  I'll ask.  Thanks for the response.  
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Wonder if the forklifts have issues after long periods with the clutches setting idle ?
  • terraplane8
    When the Railton came out, it was hailed by some as the gearless car given the extreme flexibility of the engine. I don't understand how five speeds could be anything but a nuisance.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    terraplane 8, I won't know in practice how all this is going to work until I get the car on the road, but this how me and my calculator see it all happening. The 5 speed has a 15% overdrive and will be coupled to a 3.55 rear end, effective 5th gear ratio will be 3.01.

3rd gear at 4000 RPM will be good for about 65mph, that will be my around town overtaking gear.
    4th gear at 4000 RPM will be good for about 95mph, that will be my highway overtaking gear.
    5th gear at 2300 RPM will be about 70mph, ideal for cruising.

• terraplane8
    I'll be interested to see how it goes.

I was offered a reconditioned '40 o/drive gearbox but that was $4k so not cheap. I think someone is making an aftermarket overdrive also not cheap.

This discussion has been closed.