35 Terrplane Wiring

2»

Comments

• 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Thanks Ric, Well I'm half way there. Just have to find the correct lens. Tom
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    I've been meaning to post a few things from my rewiring of my 35 Terraplane.  One issue I had was the horn.  The brass/copper contact spring was relaxed to the point that when I screwed on the horn button locking ring the horn would beep.  I'd wiggle the button and it would stop momentarily.  The button was also loose and not fully lifted to make contact with the outer threaded locking ring that holds it in place.  Turned a teflon spacer / shim which lifted the contact spring enough that the button was fully up against the locking ring.  Now the horn only beeps when I push the button.  Just hoping the added stress on the contact doesn't eventually break on of its leaves.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  When I got the car a button had been mounted on the steering column and the original horn wire was cut at the bottom of the steering column.  The weak contact spring may have been way. 

Also had a problem with the grounding of the head lights.  Was getting high ohm readings from the head light bucket to the battery ground strap. Didn't want to take the head light mount apart to clean all the contact points SO.  Sent the head light harness's Rhode Island wiring had made. per the originals I sent, back and had them make new ones with a ground wire soldered to the head light socket.  They had to reduce the original wires from 12 GA to 14 GA to fit the extra wire in.  My calculation indicated the reduction to 14 GA would have negligible effect for the short length they are. The wires from the dimmer switch to the junction on the fender are the original 12 GA.  I'd previously checked the ground at the screw that holds the clip to the fender that holds the wiring in place.  Attached the head light ground with that screw after cleaning the fender around the screw and it worked well.  I coated the ring terminal and screw with NO-OX.  I also coated any of the other ground points with the NO-OX just because.  YA it's a fakey, but to the untrained eye it kinda looks original.

Made new felt washers for the bulb sockets on the instrument panel.  There was one that was still intact that I could measure.  Made templates in CAD, cut them out and thumb tacked them over the felt.  Used a nice new exacto blade to cut them out.  Had to double them up as the only felt I could find was thinner than the original. 

Anyway, nothing much but I thought I throw it out there.

Tom

• 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    That's great info Tom. Nice to have you close by for extra guidance!
This discussion has been closed.