Roof Decking Repair and Water Pump, other solutions

Comments

• 32huson said:
    Tack strip and roof pictures. The large holes are for the wood cross bows fasteners. The smaller holes for the tack strip  hold down staples
    That’s a lot of tacks in that trim lol. In the manual the oval holes are so you can stay tack the material on one side of the hole and attach trim on other I believe. I couldn’t find any reference to staples. 
  • I am misleading you by calling them staples. They are pieces of u shaped wire inserted through the tack strip and roof with the ends folded over. That is what I removed from mine. Can you post pictures of the info from the manual ?
  • 32huson said:
    I am misleading you by calling them staples. They are pieces of u shaped wire inserted through the tack strip and roof with the ends folded over. That is what I removed from mine. Can you post pictures of the info from the manual ?
    Absolutely. I forgot I posted to another thread. I’ll also include what Eric Haartz sent me! 
    First is the Hudson Maint manual though. 
  • See attached file from Eric for further info
  • Guy came by finally to take a look at the roof paint. he figured once I got the top off, it could go to him before it’s reinstalled, for him to paint. He’s also wanting to paint the doors, and the front portion under and around windshield I guess the cowl? Not sure what you call that. Told me that would be the time to remove windshield, get new seal for it and get trim cleaned up. $900 total…does that sound like a good price? It’s basically a “side job” for him. He does modern cars for a living and normally doesn’t take side jobs but when he saw what it was he wants to do it. He told me all about the primer he saw called it “Lacquer primer” and reinforced the fact it was done long time ago but looks to be perfect and in great shape. The price involved me removing the door handles and such to help with price. 

Do y’all think this is a good price? I’m not familiar with this. I’ve never had a car painted or anything. He said he needs it to be a good weather weekend, for him to get started and prep, and it would most likely take a couple weeks. 

Seems to be coming along, maybe the stars are aligning! Lol I think it’ll at least get me by until I can afford a complete paint job. He said complete I would possibly be looking at $6K and that’s with me doing disassembly. 

Got a tool made today to remove tacks easily. Hard to do anything when I’m working days, so may not get to make much progress until Friday. 
  •  I think $900 is reasonable with you doing some disassembly and prep. Does the rest of the car really need a paint job latter?  Car projects take time with work, family and life.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Last year I had a suburban repainted at Maaco.  The cost was $2300.  If your friend paints cars well and he is willing to repair your car’s paint the price quoted is reasonable.  Ken Cates
  • He refuses to discuss until he got to see it, he said normally he much rather look at the vehicle in the sun on a good day, as it was in my garage with lights. Ima ask to see some of his work this weekend. 

Honestly the rest of the car looks really decent considering the age of it. No rust or anything like that, but I’m not looking for show car perfection quality right now, as my kids are young, I’m learning and I’m sure scratches will be made at some point lol. Right now I’d say it looks really good at 50 ft, except for the roof of course. I don’t think I’ve posted good pictures of it yet I think I’ll do that tomorrow when I get home if the weather is decent. I’m in love with the car, it’s by far my favorite I have owned. Once I get roof squared away and make sure water pump is good, I’ll most likely install the rubber mat replacement I have for front floor board, and just enjoy it like that and drive it way too much for a long time😊👨‍👩‍👦‍👦
  • Busy busy week at work so not much progress being made. However I ordered some of this “Quick-Glo” after seeing it on Jays Garage, and it being a company in my home state of Louisiana I just had to support it. Man it works…and you just use no pressure just a rubbing motion. I haven’t used it on anything but ash tray and gas cap. I’ll post pics. This is the original formula they also have finer and finer formulas. 

Also, the new chrome gas cap from wildrick was smaller than my original one  :'(

• Pictures of my water pump. I’ve contacted Jeremy Burris just in case. I got a whole ROLL of packing today lol have plenty to trial and error my way to completion changing the packing. This is with me backing the nut off a bit before taking pic. You can see the pretty silver has turned rusty 🥺. I would think there would be residue on the front of the block but there isn’t. Odd. 

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I wish I could keep my motor looking that clean ! 😩😩😩
  • I wish I could keep my motor looking that clean ! 😩😩😩
    Hahaha I’m sure it’s cause I haven’t driven it much! 
  • Any advice on removing vent windows? My mom has the glass business and wants to cut me two new windows as it bothers her for some reason they’re foggy at the bottom lol I see I can probably remove panel with screws along side, and as I remove screws I’ll place them in evaporust to get the surface rust off everything before reinstallation. Want to also lube everything well inside once off. I figure I’ll need to removed handles inside then screws for panel…but didn’t know if there was a trick to get glass out. I’d like to make my way around and lube all the window mechanisms. 

Getting ahead of myself and I’m currently 3 projects In and trying to do another! 😂

I made some mods to a tool from Walmart today to remove tacks. Should make it go a lot faster
  • Guardian1fox2
    Guardian1fox2 Member
    edited February 2022
    Oops double post 
  • Old Fogey UK
    I have a set of vent glass but no brackets or clamps - because a friend who borrowed them to make a pattern lost them.
  • I have a set of vent glass but no brackets or clamps - because a friend who borrowed them to make a pattern lost them.
    Hopefully you were able to get another set. At the bottom of the vent glass on mine the old laminated glass has become “foggy” and while it doesn’t bother me right now as I have other things I’d like to do I don’t wanna turn down help! At that point tho I need to go ahead and replacement the vent glass seals. Jesus that rubber is incredible expensive online 
  • Old Fogey UK
    I'd appreciate some pics and dimensions of the brackets and clamps please and I might have a go at making some as next Winter's project.
  • I'd appreciate some pics and dimensions of the brackets and clamps please and I might have a go at making some as next Winter's project.
    You’re talking about the windows? He’s coming tomorrow to help finish roof and he’s gonna show me how to pull vent glass and he’ll cut it. I’ll try to take plenty of pics and video!
  • I made a YouTube video of the water pump…if anyone is interested and maybe they can see if the drip is excessive or not. Tomorrow big day as I’ll finally get the roof off and install new one (I hope). Got some help from family friend supposed to come by tomorrow! I’ll take plenty of pics and videos for those interested.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I'd appreciate some pics and dimensions of the brackets and clamps please and I might have a go at making some as next Winter's project.
    You’re talking about the windows? He’s coming tomorrow to help finish roof and he’s gonna show me how to pull vent glass and he’ll cut it. I’ll try to take plenty of pics and video!
    I'm talking about the hardwear that holds accessory external wind wings onto the the car door not vent panes that wind down into the doors. I think we may be talking at cross purposes.
  • I'd appreciate some pics and dimensions of the brackets and clamps please and I might have a go at making some as next Winter's project.
    I'm talking about the hardwear that holds accessory external wind wings onto the the car door not vent panes that wind down into the doors. I think we may be talking at cross purposes.
    Oh gotcha lol I’m not familiar with those, although I’ve seen some accessory (or for lack of a better word aftermarket) vent window extensions from the 30s on eBay looks like that hold onto the window. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Correct.
    I've got a pair of glass wind wings and no attachment hardware, so they're useless !
  • Correct.
    I've got a pair of glass wind wings and no attachment hardware, so they're useless !
    I’ll see what I can find out for you! 
  • Okay, more progress made on the roof! Also shown is the tack lifting tool I modified from Walmart. 

• Old Fogey UK
    Impressive !
    You've been working hard !
  • Guardian1fox2
    Guardian1fox2 Member
    edited February 2022
    @32huson I know you wanted updates. I have a YouTube channel I kind of “redirected” to cover the car restoration and my “journey (lol)” learning all the trick of the trade. This link is for the playlist as I update on progress and how I’m doing it: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDHZNd1tDm37UznOWMlCXgwiY3y12IQi

Generically titled so that way someone else googling how to do this it will pop up easier as I know a lot of information is same across cars. 

• The little tacks are just common upholstery tacks. You don't need stainless tacks. First of all, these have lasted for 70 years with minor rusting. The car will now be used lightly and probably not in bad weather. Those tacks have to be able to bend over a little when seated. Stainless steel would be much more brittle and likely break off the tip rather than bend over and bite tight.
  • The little tacks are just common upholstery tacks. You don't need stainless tacks. First of all, these have lasted for 70 years with minor rusting. The car will now be used lightly and probably not in bad weather. Those tacks have to be able to bend over a little when seated. Stainless steel would be much more brittle and likely break off the tip rather than bend over and bite tight.
    You know I saw that when removing them, a lot of the tacks were curled at the end. So I purchased normal tacks. What is underneath this next portion? I see the tacks here have larger heads, is there another strip? 

I brought it to an upholstery shop today, and he said it’s been many many years since he’s done one, but said since I have the materials, $600 he’ll do it and it’ll take him 2 days. He asked for all the documentation I have on how it’s done properly…made me kind of nervous. There’s just no one locally with the experience to do these. I went ahead and got on his schedule for March 7th. However until then I may continue to make progress to see how it goes. Not sure which way to go. 

I am happy to report I drove it for the first time round trip to town, 35 min one way. When I got there I put my trusty cup under the pump, but nothing seemed to have come out overflow and just a little bit went into cup from pump. It sat about an hour while I waited. Just drove back home and garaged it. Put the drip pan under and the cup under pump to see if anything leaks after a few hours. 

I do wish there was an rpm gauge in these cars…I can’t help but think in 3rd going 45mph it just sounds so high lol 

• I would prefer to use copper tacks.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Whew hen I cleaned all the grungy original sealant out of my tack strip, I found many bent nails and quite a few places where they'd been missed out altogether.
    From this, I deduce that even back in the day Hudson workers also must have found this job a pain in the posterior !