Interest in rare 1951 Hudson Advertising Supplement to Detroit Free Press

My stepfather was the advertising manager at The Detroit Free Press in the early 50's and sold Hudson on a 14 page Special Advertising Supplement which was included in the Friday, October 20, 1950 paper. He was very proud of this supplement which I found among his belongings after his death. I thought either a member of your club might be interested in having this original advertising. Please let me know if there is any interest in this rare piece.

Best Answer

• MrPete
    MrPete Member
    Answer ✓

Also, I’m a car guy too. ‘28 Peerless, ‘61 Cadillac convertible, ‘67 Cadillac convertible, Delorean, ‘’66 Corvette and Cadillac XLR. I’ll make arrangements to drop the piece off at the museum as a donation. I’ll see if I can digitize it first though.

Answers

• stbryson
    stbryson Senior Contributor

Hello,

I am interested in your 1950 Detroit Free Press Advertising piece. How much are you asking for it?

Thank you, and take care,

Steve Bryson

• Is $50 fair? There's really nothing that I can use as a guide.

• I'm sure there are a lot of us that would love to have this for our collections. I feel the value is much greater than $50.00. Why don't you list it on EBAY and let the market dictate its value - that way we all get a chance to own it.

• What about making copies of it to sell to all of us. I would love to have a copy if that is an option. Maybe Office Depot or someone could pull that off.

• stbryson
    edited December 2023

Hello MrPete,

How about this: I will send you the $50.00, and if you are nearby, you take it to the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum & National Hudson Motor Car Company Museum, In Ypsilanti, MI. If you are not near Ypsilanti, after you receive the payment from me you could mail it directly to the museum. In either case include a note explaining your father's connection and donating it in your father's name.

This would allow it to be preserved, as well as allowing many people a chance to see it.

Edited to add a link to the Museum website: https://ypsiautoheritage.org/

Thank you, and take care,

Steve Bryson

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser

Or do we have the Club library still and they could make copies ? Gert _ I believe Mr. Pete is our original Machinist teacher of note on You Tube videos I have been following for years. Thanks

• If it goes to a museum somewhere, not that many people are going to see it. I’ll never get to Ypsilanti to ever see it. Many of us would like to have some kind of copy just for the information in it. Most of us have never seen such an elaborate write up on our cars.

• I like the idea of digitizing it and posting the digital asset in the club library for all to see, download, and print. The original could live in the Ypsi museum with the other original artifacts.

• Wow! These are great ideas. I pass through Ypsilanti every week and will drop it off there. But before that I’ll see if I can get it digitized first. Stay tuned. As an aside it really is a great piece.

• Thank you for posting MrPete! We really appreciate the time you're taking to share this! Love the collection -- DeLorean was always a favorite of mine.

• stbryson

Hello MrPete,

That sounds great!

I can't figure out how to send a private message here, but I have sent an e-mail to you.

Take care,

Steve Bryson

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Thank you for taking the time to seek a fitting place to preserve your father's article telling the HUDSON STORY. For 60-plus years I have been a Hudson owner and appreciated the quality of the Stepdowns. This story has given me new insight into the producers of the parts Hudson used to produce these cars. Very well-written and produced information. Please feel free to contact me if there is a need to support the cost of digitizing this important part of Hudson's Advertising history. Ken Cates Waco, Texas

• Good news! I was able to download the entire Section plus a Hudson ad that was also in the October 20, 1951 Detroit Free Press. Here it is. Enjoy. I'll drop the original at the museum in the next week or so.

Pete Ronan

• This is wonderful, thank you so much for sharing it. Looks really sharp too!

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Thanks for the time you spent and the link!!!