Spicer axles with big engines

13»

Comments

• An update on this situation.

The Fairborn Studebaker - Hudson Dana axle conversion, is on the move. Phil has had all the pieces he needed for about a month now and e-mail conversations floating back and forth between. He has also been in cahoots with a Hudnut nearer to him.

The revision being considered is a matter of the outer seal retainer. This will likely be incorporated into the new bearing retainer. This project is on the move, and in capable hands who are working on it as they can, namely Philip Harris of Fairborn Studebaker.

Mark
    Mark:

Any update on this?

Thanks......Jay
  • I got an email back from Phil Harris stating they should have some info in a couple weeks.

Jay
  • I wanted to resurrect this thread to bring some more information to light regarding the Dana 44 rear end.

As you may know, the Fairborn Axle conversion to update to flanged axles is available even now. However, budgets being tight for yours truly, I wanted to do something a bit more sequential in terms of spending my money and eventually getting to the same place. The Fairborn Kit is $495.00. The original tapered axles are 19 spline to work with your existing carrier, or they can have axles made that have the newer 30 spline end.

I called the folks at Reider Racing, as Park suggested. The reason was to hunt down the different carriers that are still made for 19 spline axles.

Something interesting came up in the discussion. The original limited slip carrier as used by both Studebaker and the original 427 Shelby Cobra (Dana 44 equipped), is still available new. And guess what, its 19 spline. And, its the preferred piece for restorers of the previous mentioned vehicles as it is able to be certified as original. Reported by Reider also to be the best limited slip/positraction carrier out there for street driven vehicles.

Link to the Carrier in question

http://www.reiderracing.com/danapowrlok.htm

Its an original Dana Powr-Lock. Cost is $400.00

This means, you can replicate the Jack Clifford hop up of using a Studebaker Twin-Track (Its actually the Dana Powr-Lok) with the rear ratio of your choice, which is also Dana original gears @ $159.00.

By using a 19 spline carrier, you can get up and going with your original tapered axles and be able to switch to the Fairborn flanged axles of 19 spline later.

Or, all at once.

You will also have to buy a new pinion yoke for the finer pinion splines produced currently.

Dana Power-Lock = $400.00

Dana Ring Gear and Pinion = $159.00

Dana 44 Overhaul kit = $100.00

New pinion yoke = $30.00

For $689.00, you have a posi-traction Dana 44 rear end of the ratio of your choosing. That you can also update with flanged axles for and additional $495.00. If the flanged axles are a bit much, you can run your original tapered/hubbed axles.

If it was good enough for Carroll Shelby - I think it will hold about as much as anybody here is going to unleash upon it.

and the good thing is, nobody will be able to tell anything about it - Its all Hudson from the outside with no fuss in the swapping.

Mark Hudson
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Mark:

A quick note. Make sure you get the thrust buttons that fit inside the carrier and allow the axles to not rub the inner portion of the carrier. They look like a nail with a flat top that the axle end buts up against. The shaft of the button slides into a hole in the carrier. They are easy to not know they are there and are not used in an open carrier setup, only the posi carrier.
  • Thanks Dan, I was not aware of the thrust buttons.

One more thing, the Reider links will not show a carrier that works with 19 spline axles. The Tech man looked them up and confirmed they were available as a 19 spline, its just not common enough to list on the website.

Mark
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    `Hudsonator wrote:
    Thanks Dan, I was not aware of the thrust buttons.

One more thing, the Reider links will not show a carrier that works with 19 spline axles. The Tech man looked them up and confirmed they were available as a 19 spline, its just not common enough to list on the website.

Mark

I hate to ask since you've done so much of the leg work already...do you have part no's to go with the price list? :o What model would you get the housing out of...or is this posted earlier in the thread?

Thanks!
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    I hate to ask since you've done so much of the leg work already...do you have part no's to go with the price list? :o What model would you get the housing out of...or is this posted earlier in the thread?

Thanks!

Actually, the exact Dana part #s I do not have. The availability was based upon talking with the tech man at Reider Racing. Evidently, I'm not the first Hudson Dana 44 inquisitor he's had. The one thing he did ask that I do before we nail things down, is to disassemble the entire rear end and give him a list of bearing and seal #s so a kit could be put together for my application. Also, he wants to double check the pinion yoke dimentions.

I was shocked and awed that the original Dana limited slip carrier was still available for the 19 spline 44's. This is not listed in the online catalog, but they could get one for the same price as the ones that were listed, the request is fairly common as Jeeps of the same era use these carriers as well.

A Dana 44 ring gear and pinion, is a Dana 44 ring gear and pinion. Unless it states that its for a particular type of rear member, for example a Corvette IRS, then its run of the mill Dana 44. This is why I like this rear end, you can find ring gear and pinions easily and affordably. You can literally open up a JEGS catalog and pick your favorite Dana 44 ratio, then install it in your Hudson Dana 44 rear end. The only issue is that of the pinion yoke as the pinion splines are finer/more numerous than the original.

As far as identifying the Hudson Dana 44. If your differential cover is made of sheet metal and removable, its a Dana 44. They were used in stepdowns from mid '52 - '54.

Its going to take a while, but I will definately report on the findings - including part #s when I get further along in the process. However, I'm motivated now by having the '49 back on the road and needing a rear end badly.

Mark
  • `Hudsonator wrote:

You will also have to buy a new pinion yoke for the finer pinion splines produced currently.

Dana Power-Lock = $400.00

Dana Ring Gear and Pinion = $159.00

Dana 44 Overhaul kit = $100.00

New pinion yoke = $30.00

For $689.00, you have a posi-traction Dana 44 rear end of the ratio of your choosing. That you can also update with flanged axles for and additional $495.00. If the flanged axles are a bit much, you can run your original tapered/hubbed axles.

If it was good enough for Carroll Shelby - I think it will hold about as much as anybody here is going to unleash upon it.

Mark Hudson

Hudsonator - so all of the above upgrades for $689.00 are a go or still need research? I want to start looking for a DANA 44 rear for my 51 if I can get this setup now, or are you still researching if it will all work as you think?

Anyone have an extra Hudson DANA 44 for sale?
This discussion has been closed.