A roll call of sorts

Comments

• TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Yah, it doesn't do anything for me , but its not my view of the future of

Hudsons either. If the price stays low enough that a younger guy could afford it then

I think that would be a good thing. I've owned worse in my day and I'm for anything

that keeps them from being crushed and sent to China.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    If they end up lookin like that Pack em off to China...rather have memories than a constant nightmare....LOL
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    :eek: Some of you guys are just brutal! :) (Well, except for that one truck/car-thing - that really was ugly - sorry to the buyer :( )

It's no secret but people have been customizing cars for some time now - I hear at least since the '50-'s. And I dare say more of these cars were ruined in their day racing, moonshining and from just every day abuse as to worry whether a rusted out mess is customized.

Heck, in 50 years when fossil fuels are depleted hopefully somene will be putting a hydrogen fuel cell into my 49 and still be driving it every day!

Now what happened to the original intent of this post? Are people scared or unable to tell their story and post some pics?

Or is it just too easy to slam someone trying to get a brother Hudson on the road?
  • You know I agree with the guys on keeping them stock where you can. I did keep

all the stock stuff that I knew was orginal for my 50 Pacemaker coupe, like the

rearend & 3-speed overdrive tranny. If the orginal engine and the supermatic

drive unit were there I would have reconsidered going the drag race route.

Actually this Pacemaker had quite a few options like the Supermatic drive, radio

and heater, backup lights and something else I am forgetting right now.

I do have a 1942 Six Deluxe 2 door sedan that is unmodified. It has a 175 and

the 3 speed no overdrive. I do have a 212 that will go into it since this was

optional but other that that it will remain totally stock. Its a bare bones car

without a radio or turnsignals.

By the way I have been chasing this 42 Hudson since 1977 trying to buy it

and finally got her thanks to Doug Wildrick. I passed up buying her two other

times in the past but found her again after being hidden only 4 miles from where

I presently live. Doug and I figured that the third time was fate and I needed

to act on it.

later,

PaceRacer50
  • RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    Well, I didn’t think about this going into a Restore vs. Rod argument when I started it. Woops!!

I did lurk a while before I signed up to try and see if the brand x’ers were welcome here, and I think for the most part they (we) are. I agree that even though the most neglected rusted hulk can be saved and returned to stock with cubic dollars, most restorer’s will pass or use it for parts. If its used for parts it ceases to exist and most likely will never be a car again. But 90% of the modified cars could be returned to stock with a little time, effort and $$. Take the E-bay car mentioned. Why crush it and send it to China? Buy it (cheep), replace the front fenders, weld up the holes for the custom tail lights (got rust to weld anyway) pull the Ford engine, cut off the brackets, put a 308 and a hydro back in, paint it the original color and your done! As far as the real rare ones go, its up to the current owner I’m afraid. I wish that they be left alone along with the real original unrestored ones, but they are not my cars. I work both sides of the fence on the restore or rod mentality Restored my ’47 Chevy to stock when I was 14 and was disappointed when I got my license and found that it just could not stand up as to the highway use. (4:11 final drive and even a rebuilt Babbitt pounder won’t last long at 60-65 mph. Sold that car 27 years ago and wish I still had it. I’ve had a modified ’50 Chevy Pick-up for 20 years now and I won’t let it go. I still smile every time I fire it up. My daughters argue about who gets it when I’m gone even now (hello- I have not yet assumed room temperature). They have ridden in that truck all there lives, even on 2600-mile cross-country trips.

That being said I was looking for a project to restore when I found my Hudson in many boxes in someone’s garage (Or it found me) 3 years or so ago. The SBC was already in and it was done well. I’m leaving it in. If it had been the ‘ol twin H powered 6, I would be running that. Got me thinking to do an “era specific” type of look. Like it would look in say maybe ’62. (Year I was born) No, not a “Rat Rod”, just as it would have been modified in that time period by someone coming of age in the fifties who now had a job and a couple of bucks to spend on his used car. I think most of the real Rat Rods I’ve seen were never cars anyway. Just a bunch of miss-matched swap meet parts put together to get a certain look. Almost like a cartoon version of a car, but I like them too.

Sorry about the length of my comments, but since I started this monster I felt the need. Remember, everybody has different tastes or there would not be like 400 different kinds of something as simple as beer.

Just my 2 centavos, and worth every one.
  • Hello

Yep, I agree 100%! There is room for all types here. I like all the Hudsons, especially the stepdown series, and plan to finish the "hot-rod" job on my '50, and plan to restore the '53 someday. But, I'm not gonna knock the other guys ideas just because I don't care for them

Billy
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Pardon my igonorance what is a "Rat Rod"? Never heard the term down here in the antipodes.

Geoff.
  • Geoff, a "Rat Rod", would send any "True Purist" into instant cardiac arrest! The only rules are ,"The Rattier, the better". Any part you can put, on any car goes. NEVER EVER paint this car. Flat primer is the norm. Unfinished bondo is icing on the cake.Hoods, fenders, optional. No chrome, unless it's really, really pitted.The goal is,"Use what ya got", and focus on performance, not pristine appearance.Some of these cars look like the owner was on "UPPERS" and "Downers", at the same time. I'm trying to find a picture of a "Rat Class" motorcycle I saw at a bike show last year. It won the class, hands down. They look like they've used "Duct Taped', to hold them together, as they blow your doors off. Sort of like "Abstract Art", or "Rap Music". It's in a class all by itself, and certainly NOT to everyones liking!
  • A word on "Rat Rods", as I've built some rat bikes and know quite a few in the "Rat" metality and build their rides as such.

Those are the "rodders" the restoration folks should get along with. They build what they have, and stick with as much originality as possible in regards to mechanicals. I hang around with those guys because when the hood gets popped, you see original flatties done up with vintage speed parts, hooked to manual 3 on the tree trannies and they abhor automatics in any configuration be it the Hydro-matic or a modern 700r. The only difference is, as Wes said, the trim hits the shop floor and the paint is always primer. The main reason for the paint and raw bondo is that they work on their car as they go, and always DRIVE them! - no trailer queens allowed and you will be summarily chided for hauling in a car and standing over it like a prissy guard.

I've seen everything at "Rat" shows, they love anything of the time period and use the original mechanicals as they simply don't have the time, or money to go about "swapping" stuff around. If its "old", you will find it in, on, and working in a "rat" machine. They use parts that the "purists" throw away, that the "kustomizers" throw away - they are the true scavengers of things old and represent what hot rodding was in its infancy - use what you've got and keep things within your means.

At the Hot Rod reunion this weekend, I cruised the "Rats" and saw the autographs of some of the elite drag racing legeds who had autographed the primered paint jobs of the cars that reminded them of their youth and what the genre was all about. They are not easy on the eye but if you take the time to look at the mechanicals, which are usually proudly displayed in one form or another, you will smile and begin to appreciate the respect they have for pieces usually tossed into the scrap heap or relegated to obscurity.

They would pay to sit and listen to the tech tips old school mechanics like Geoff, Bill A, and the like would have to offer regarding 3 speeds, OD's, drum brakes - etc.

And when it comes to music, you won't hear anything but "rockabilly" - the only "rap" you'll hear is a flathead or inline's tailpipe!

My 2 coppers on the matter.

Mark S. Hudson

53 Super Wasp Coupe
  • This is a great discussion. Amusing how the super restorers knock other peoples cars while they tell your how they restored their cars, when everything they used was REPRO. PARTS or paid some else to do it for them. Enjoy them . In the 40 years I have been a member of the HET I could really tell some stories about nice Hudson sedans and such were butchered to make convertibles.
  • RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    Pardon my igonorance what is a "Rat Rod"? Never heard the term down here in the antipodes.

Geoff.

Geoff, You folks may have another name for them, but here are a few pix. I do not think they like the term "Rat Rod" applied to their cars though. (Just the "flavor of the month" wanabe's do) I would not consider the pix of the '54 a Rat Rod, just a custom. Most likely as Hudsonator stated it will have the 235 6 w/a 3 on the tree, maybe an old duel carb setup with a split manifold. I like them. Not going to build one but I respect the work and dedication it takes to build. :cool:
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Well said Mark. Rat rodders ARE true purists in the traditional sense.

Their "avoid the Boyd"[Coddington] mentality is the deserved backlash against

$100,000 hot rods that they refer to as "gold chainers" Cars/bikes that are

owner built without the benefit of vast aftermarket resources. They are for the

most part very era specific hot rods built with "junkyard" parts.
  • I went to, and entered the 54 Sedan, a ROD RUN, here in Newport Friday and Saturday. There were 3 hudsons, 2 street rods and my original. Anyway, There were around 400 cars there. Included was one that I know I saw in one of the street rod magazines, as a feature car( you know 100K custom built showcar )....This mornings paper had a picture (on the front page) of the show. Guess what was shown.....a Model T pickup rat rod, that the guy drove in. It had no seat, just a blanket folded up to use as a seat bottom, primer and bondo and bare fiberglass showing in spots. When we went on the cruise Friday night the guy had one of those leather pilots helmets on his head and a set of safety goggles to protect his eyes and a scarf around his neck. He looked like Snoopy going after the RED BARON!!! But, He was having a great time and it showed! That is what rat rods and car shows should be about...NUFF SAID!

BOB
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Okay, the debate's probably gone on long enough, and nobody's going to give way (as usual). I can only repeat my plea - please don't sacrifice extremely rare cars. I too have seen cases of perfectly good standard cars being cut up to make a so-called more desireable model. A local here cut up a perfect condition '37 Terraplane sedan to use in making up a '37 coupe, which a was rusted hulk hardly worth rebuilding. He would have been better to have rodded the rusty hulk in the first place, and preserved the sedan for someone who would have appreciated it. His son has the coupe now, has three youngsters who constantly bump their heads on the back window ledge with the restricted room in the back of the coupe, and wishes he had a sedan! And to boot, he threw out the original motor and has a V8 in it now! As to rat rods, having viewed the examples shown - if that's your kick, well go to it, just don't use any Hudsons in the process!

Geoff.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I did some late night inet searching awhile back and the term "rat rod" was not a term of endearment or a badge of honor in car building as some might lead you to believe.

The term "Rat Rod" was a derogatory term early Hot-Rodders used on...well...crummy looking cars (to put it nicely) :rolleyes:

I believe most custom Hudsons I have seen in these pages to fall into the Hot-Rod category rather than the "Rat Rod" - and although my car will be Satin Black(not primer) - please don't call it a "Rat Rod" or you might get a dirty look from me and a bite in the butt from Rambo the killer dog! :mad:

ok.jpg
    BEWARE! VICIOUS DOG
  • I don't condone sacrificing a very rare car, or any real survivor in good restorable shape. I wanted to restore my wasp in purist fashion, but as the damage began to reveal itself - the hot rodding wheels began to spin in my head. I have been swayed by the rat rodders to leave it largely intact mechanical-wise and use Hudson only parts wherever I can. As I talked around at the Hot Rod reunion this weekend, I was even repremanded for wanting to put in a t-5 transmission (but I'm still gonna!). I love my Wasp, and wherever I take it I want folks to look into that red grille emblem and say "thats a Hudson!".

Here's the truth of the matter, the person who owns the car decides its fate - end of story.

I love Dany Spring's Traveller, to me it represents the ultimate Hot Rod Hudson. I think I'd be in love with tombpa's Terraplane also from what I've read here in this thread. Dany's dedication to preserving Hudson's is unquestioned with his taking over K-Gap, but at the same time sports a wild hair for the extreme in Hudson - I think there is a little of that in all of us. My undying admiration goes to the fella's that turn thier own wrenches as much as possible and drive their rides be they purists or rat rodders.

Mark Hudson
  • Amen!! Remember, Hudson was at the forefront of "factory" hot rods with their "severe duty" parts, etc. Thanks all for a great discussion.
  • Here are some pictures of the 32' that started all the ruckus.
  • Hey this ain't no ruckus. Its fun. Enjoy what ever you do to the car. I know what I would do.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    :eek: Oh no! Phatboy your not rodding that 56 or 7 chevy behind it too

are you? Is that a shiny sbc hanging on a stand too? Bet its not even a

265/283. Oh the horror... ;)
  • Hey all, Im missing my hudson manual.

When I bought my ’53 hudson Hornet I thought it was a “cool old car I really liked” model. Turns out its either a “rat rod” a “hot rod” or a “restoration” model. Can anybody help me out?

Things that make me feel it’s a “rat” model

I drive it every day. Clearly Im wearing out irreplaceable parts by doing so.

My hands are always covered in grease.

Im using rattle can black primer as I go.

I dig the old speed parts and crazy old engineering.

Things that make me feel it’s a “hot rod” model

Im having the engine built for power.

My tires are as wide as I can stuff between those frame rails out back. (still on 15”s of course, I know they didn’t make a 22” “bling” model… or did they?)

Im contemplating disc brakes. I have this thing against smashing into those crappy little Hondas that always cut me off.

Things that make me feel it’s a “restoration” model

It’s a Hudson flathead, not a chevy, under the hood.

Im carefully putting back all the old chrome. OOH that’s definitely not a rat thing!

I like the interior. I think Ill get that duralee fabric that looks pretty close to my checkerboard… wait! That’s not really original is it! Is that a hotrod thing? Its all so confusing….

Oh god no! I just saw there is something called a “resto rod” model as well.

I really need that manual folks! Help! Tell me what to do!
  • One day I'll post pictures.... I found my 1948 Hudson Commodore 6 in South Dakota about six months ago. My friend saw it while he was doing his annual pheasant hunt. He is a car guy and fell in love with it. Fortunately, he spent $34,000 on an antique gun collection and gave me first dibs. This car was from the estate of the original owner. His name was LeRoy "Roy" Nessiem. Anybody know him? He lived in Washington state for years and years. He got the car brand new for his high school graduation and kept it ever since. He had it repainted the original two-tone burgundy and ruby in 1952. I think because of early paint production problems (the car is very early production, the 5006th built). He had the factory seat covers on it. The drivers area of the cover was very worn so I decided to remove all the covers.... both front and rear seats are mint original. Same for the dash, headliner, etc. Options include drivemaster / vacumaster trans with overdrive, rear window shades, fog lights, dual spotlights, aluminum head, ash tray, radio, heater, front and rear delux bumper guards, stainless window vent shades, sunvisor and original fender guides that lite up at night. This was a young guy who put every conceivable accessory that a 17 year old could want or find.

I have had many, many neat cars in my 47 years (Sunbeam Tiger, 57 Chevy convert, 59 Impala Convert, 59 Caddy convert, 71 vette convert plus others) but nothing so cool and / or original.

The car had been stored on and off inside a heated garage for approx 35 years.

I've had to replace the original cracked tires with wide white wall radials, replaced all the brake lines, brake cylinders, master cylinder, had the gas tank resealed and new gas line all the way up, recored radiator, etc. It finally runs like a top but I still need to replace a few old wires that may be an issue. I'm obviously keeping this thing original. It is a real piece of history.

One last interesting note.... I had called my mother and told her that I had just bought a Hudson. She says "Oh, your father had a Hudson. "It was a 1948 Hudson and it was Maroon". How's that for coincidence? A couple weeks later, my Mom went thru some old photos and found one of her standing in front of my Dad's Hudson in 1949. She was 19 years old and on their honeymoon in Palm Springs. I'm going to make a copy and send the picture into the WTN.

She said my Dad sold it because it would never start in the rain. He traded it in for a new 1951 Cadillac..... Niels
  • Sorry to hear the bad news, mrkramer, but it's sounds like you own an official "Whatyamacallit", for which there is no known cure.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    While we all debate the pressing topic of Restore to Original, Rat Rod or Street Rod a much more pressing issue has come up in the GENERAL TOPIC AREA..

Just asking who every1 thinks is the sexiest women on the planet today? Several co-workers, myself included, say Joanna Krupa. I’m not sure what playboy paid her to show off her birthday suit this month, but compared to the swimsuits she’s worn in the past this is amazingggg.

Anyone see it yet?

Tom
  • http://www.classiccar.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1484&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I am trying for the first time to post a photo of my 1952 commodore 8, off the Classic Car Gallery. If this works I will give a further explaination of it.

It worked.

My question could be, What do I do with it now?

I purchased this car in Feb. in pretty much the condition you see. I further dismantled it by removing the doors and rear fenders. I got all the parts in boxes and a partial parts car.

Motor and dual range hydro have been rebuilt. New master cylinder. brake cylinders, and brakes. All new front suspension parts. Rebuilt generator, starter, and carburator. Except for two small holes below the trunk lid, there was only minor surface rust on the car. There are a number of small dents and dings which need to be bumped out.

I had purchased this Commodore with the purpose of putting it back togeather to have a nice driver. I had planned on making a few minor modifications, 12 volt, Air, possibly power steering and upgrading the brakes.

The problem is that, I have found that 1952 Commodores are rare. There were only a little over 3000 made. Going through the club directory I found only 11 '52 Commodores and only 4 of those were sedans.

Now do I restore it to original condition? Make the driver I wanted? I have even considered selling it and buying a Hornet to do with want I want. I know, the answer to these questions are in the above posts.

It's a good thing I have a limited budget. Before I removed the doors, I was looking at the lines of the body and thinking, with the right paint, mild custom accessories and the right mechanicals I could make a sweet sleeper for the street.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with doing the modifications that you are considering. Two things to keep in mind are comfort and safety when driving the car and what you are talking about are nothing more than upgrading to today's standards. Another thing to keep in mind is that your modifications are indeed minor and if you ever wanted to go back to 100% original it would be an easy project. My car is 12 volt with an alternator, electronic ignition, halogen sealed beams, seat and shoulder belts and radial tires. It feels safe, starts and runs good and other than other Hudnuts, nobody knows the difference. Go for it!
  • If you didn't live so darned far away, I'd look at swaping you. My first car was a 1952 Commodore 6 sedan back in 1972. I've got a 1952 Hornet sedan now that will go back together after all of the "hunting and gathering" (my wife's words). If I don't have all of the parts ready to go when I start, I'll not get started again easily if I hit a roadblock. Oh well...
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Hey, this must be the "most viewed" topic ever by now! Regarding the '52 Commodore, nobody is going to chew you out for doing what you plan with it. There are modifiications, and there are alterations which change the whole character of the car (like chopping the top, etc.). As stated, most folk have "modified" their cars in one way or another, but the character and presentation of the car can still be maintained as pretty original in spite of such mods. As a long-time Hudson so-called purist, I do like to see the basic car kept all Hudson, but there are improvements which can be made to enhance road safety and driveability. My '29 Hudson 7 passenger sedan is restored as near as possible as I can to original, but does have the wrong wheels ( wood 19" instead of wire 18"), and has telescopic shock absorbers at the rear to overcome body roll. My '28 Essex Coach looks completely original, but has internal mods in the engine to enhance performance and economy, has indicators, shock absorbers, and a higher geared rear end. My Jet and Hornet are all completely original in every respect, as for my purposes they are completely usable and roadworthy in that state. Good luck with your re-assembly of a rare and desireable car.

Geoff.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    TwinH wrote:
    Well said Mark. Rat rodders ARE true purists in the traditional sense.

Their "avoid the Boyd"[Coddington] mentality is the deserved backlash against

$100,000 hot rods that they refer to as "gold chainers" Cars/bikes that are

owner built without the benefit of vast aftermarket resources. They are for the

most part very era specific hot rods built with "junkyard" parts.

I agree that the rod vs. original debate will never be resolved because all car guys are eccentric anyway and getting them to agree is like herding cats. Seems to me even the hot rodders can't agree with eachother and we're talking about more like 4 classes of cars on a spectrum. 1. Original 2. Modified. 3. Rat Rods 4. Customs. And all of them span the range of socio-economic cost of fixing up. Seems to me that for all the talk about improved roadability and improved ability to drive your Hudson in modern traffic I don't see hot rodders on the road with more frequency than people with restored/modified cars nor do I see any used as daily drivers (at least in my area). Why? My guess... you put so much work and money into these things you hate to see them smashed up by some teenager in a new Honda. Of all cars of the '50s Hudson's were probably the most road worthy in handeling and I think are adeqaute by today's standards since they were built in a time before the interstate system (Interstates built in 1956). Before that there were less cars on the road and more 2-lane highways. Me I got a set of radials on my car and so it's modified in a minor way but I'm a rare youngster in that I prefer original...just my personal taste. I have the most respect for people that work on their own cars as much as possible within the ability of their garage space and inventory of tools allows them. I love to hear that some of us are getting our cars out to shows and driving them rather than trailering them. That's what HET is supposed to be about. We're going to be facing some challenges in the next few years keeping our cars on the road at all and I hope we don't loose sight of the big picture. :) Now let's get back to the original intent of this thread which is show and tell about our cars.
  • I'd like to show everyone my 37' Terraplane after 3 1/2 years of searching for parts. Folks on the forum were a big help (Jon B and Alex ). Robbie Williams was the greatest help of all.

I have the photos in Classic car Hudson gallery. I don't know how to get them to the forum. I think restoring this old car was easier, but I am probably wrong.
This discussion has been closed.