A roll call of sorts

13»

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    93537_Hudson_T-Plane_006-med.jpg

Nice car, Gregg! Nicer than mine, that's for sure!

It's not difficult to post photos or the URL for their location, Gregg (and everyone else!). It's basic 'cut and paste'. You can simplify the following directions if you want; simply scribble down the URL on a piece of paper and re-type it. But cut-and-paste gives you less of a writer's cramp.

First, the photo has to be SOMEWHERE on the internet. You cannot directly upload pix to this Forum. Gregg has posted his photos over at the Classiccar photo site so we can do this.

Just open the largest photo of your car (the Classiccar site has 'thumbnail photos' -- just click on them and a much larger photo opens up).

NOW...if you simply want to post the URL (or printed 'location' of the photo), RIGHT-click on your mouse while holding it over the photo. A dialog box opens up. Look for the line of type in the box that says, PROPERTIES. LEFT-click that. Then a new box opens up.

Read the line that says ADDRESS: slide your cursor over what's written there while holding the left button down, to 'highlight' it. RIGHT-click immediately and select COPY. Now you've copied your photo's URL (or location code) to your computer.

Now close the various windows and go back to where you're posting your message on the Forum. Place cursor in the message box (where you're writing your message), and RIGHT-click again. When dialog box open, LEFT click on PASTE and your URL is transferred to the message box. People can then click on this after you post it, and will be taken to your photo.

Want to actually put the photo in your message?

Hit the GO ADVANCED button when you want to make a new post. Above your message area, you'll see some little symbols. Press teh square, yellow one. A little dialog box opens. Put your cursor in it and RIGHT click. Then LEFT click on PASTE in the dialog box, and your URL will be copied to the dialog box. Then hit OK in the dialog box. The words will appear around the URL, in your message and this will open up as a photo when you post it.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    showphoto.php?photo=1438&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
  • TOM-WA-
    929S3000039-med.jpg
  • Jon B]93537_Hudson_T-Plane_006-med.jpg

Nice car, Gregg! Nicer than mine, that's for sure!

It's not difficult to post photos or the URL for their location, Gregg (and everyone else!). It's basic 'cut and paste'. You can simplify the following directions if you want wrote:
    will appear around the URL, in your message and this will open up as a photo when you post it.

As always, thank you Jon B!

Gregg
  • I normally lurk around this forum, but felt that I should throw my two-cents in for once.

I have a 1953 (possibly 1952) Twin-H 4-door. Inherited it from my father when he passed away about a year and a half ago. He obtained it in the mid-sixties, so probably only one previous owner. When he moved out to the country, he put it in "storage", by which I mean that it was parked in a covered area on his farm. It sat there until the early nineties, when he decided to bring it out and restore it as a retirement project. The body (and most of the interior) was intact, but needed repainting, chroming, etc. The engine had to be completely rebuilt. Rats had made a nest under the hood. You can still see where their piss corroded the block! Many thousands of dollars later, it was back in beautiful condition. Not show-room, but still looking damned fine.

I've since moved the car to the underground garage of my apartment in the city. But I moved clear across the continent for a year ago, so its been just sitting there, waiting for me to return (in another year or two). I start it up whenever I return, but it makes me sad to think of it. Such a fine vehicle deserves to be out on the road!
  • Funny! When I realized I would probably never get around to restoring my Hudsons, I tried advertising them for sale and got no interest at all. So who cares if I rod them or even cut them up for parts.
  • Just two cents worth for information: Bill Albright can verify without question that my partner and I personally junked over 150 RUSTFREE Stepdown Hudsons in the early 1970's. Nobody wanted them. The restorers of the day had what they wanted and didn't care to save any more of them. We saved as many trim parts and sheetmetal as possible and Bill ended up with a good portion. The 'restorer' cars of the time frequently were the type of the 1953 Hornet Coupe on EBay that's all original. The restore/rod debate will go on forever. Now that it's 30 years later, the cars that did survive frequently were 'parts cars' of the 1970s. I think that the owner of the car should be able to do what he wants with it. That the Hudson name lives on no matter what incarnation is a solice to me.
  • Well here goes for the 3rd time !

Just trying to answer your roll call but keep getting kicked out.

Hi guys this is Jerry of 'RuthandJerry' in England..

Now I don't want to get caught up in all your side-shooting discussions on stock v modified v rodded Hudsons, just listing for your interest our little collection.

First up is my 1934 H8 Convertible, which incidently I had up for sale recently on this very forum and in the WTN with little to no interest.

After 7 years of a nut and bolt restoration, with no foreseeable end, and the car being a no sale, a decision was made to put it on the road as a roadster i.e no fenders, hood or top. This now means it will be back on the road next year after an absence of nearly 40 years. People are now gagging to see this car finished to that point, and for me while I'm still of an age to enjoy it. The fenders can wait til I'm an old man.

Next up is Ruth's 1935 Terraplane Coupe, which we imported 4 years ago basically as a rolling shell and boxes of parts (been there ?!?). Now 3/4 of the way through a 95% correct restoration.

Also have 2 1935 H8 LWB sedans awaiting restoration. Ruth has ideas of wedding car use so modifications to meet whatever legalities will have to be made.

Then we have 'The Trucks' ....

First one is 1942 C20 SWB which was imported around 4 years ago, bought unseen and was a mess. I doubt many of you would have took this on as a restoration. This is now, thanks to good old Ebay, friends and the bank manager, back together, painted and with insignia to represent a miltary vehicle that would have been used on any of the US air bases here in East Anglia during WWII. Now I know Hudson probably never issued such a vehicle to the miltary during this period, but this is just my tribute to the servicemen who flew from the bases in this area.

Then we have my 1941 C10 SWB truck which when imported was a stock running truck albeit having had a hard life. It was all stock and original, but pretty worn out. Now if you've ever visited England or live here and have experience of driving on our roads, and that's not just sitting in your cab driving around Buckingham Palace Guv, I'm talking about our twisty 10 feet wide 2-way bumpy country roads, or busy 2-way A roads with a big-wheeler up your butt, a 175 ci flatty with sloppy gears at 45mph ain't always fun! So it now has a 289 ci Ford V8, top loader gear box and 9' rear axle. I now enjoy the truck much more, have confidence in it and can drive it 100 miles to a show, where it's normally the only Hudson there.

Finally we have a second 1941 SWB C10. whih I imported recently to re-build as a project with my son Luke who is now 15 years old. This may well end up his truck so which way we go with it, at this point, I don't know, but I hope you guys will be here to answer his questions when the time comes!

It's very easy to say 'Oh I wouldn't have done that if it was my car'. We love our Hudsons and do what we feel is in their best interests, to suit our requirements, and also to hopefully keep them alive to be enjoyed by future generations.

Well that's all, hope it's been fun reading, thanks and Hi to all our Hudson friends around the world.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    My opinion, in case anybody gives a damn, is you pays your money, you buys your car - it's yours to do what you want with it and the devil take the rest.

If you want to street rod or modify, fine - it's yours.

If you want to paint it pink with purple polka dots - you got to live with it.

Bottom line is restored, modified or street rodded - it ain't a square bundle of scrap metal ready to be made into razor blades by the Yokohama submarine, screen door and razor blade factory in Japan!!!

Only thing I ask of anybody modifying or street rodding - try to do it in such a way that someday somebody might be able to restore it to original with as little trouble as possible.

My soap box for the evening.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr
  • I thought this thread was to tell everyone about our cars, not go over and over that same 'ol stock V modified line. Alex I for one am interested in your cars and experiences with them, I'm sure your Hudson knowledge and history with them goes way back past mine.
  • In answer to your comment. Thats why this is called a Forum. We discuss things, all kinds of things.
  • I'm with Alex completely on this matter.

I don't intend to do anything that I can't reverse back to original and in the process of looking for the parts I want/need for modification - I'm picking up original pieces that I lack along the way.

Mark
  • TOM-WA-
    100_0838.jpg

I always thought it would be great to have so much money that I could

buy anything in the world that I wanted....

I would buy the Mona Lisa and since I own it I could Modify it and bring it

up to date since it is so old and outdated..

Well since I can't afford That maybe I'll just do a hudson..
  • TOM-WA-
    100_0840.jpg100_0845.jpg Couple More Shots Of The "RATMOBILE"
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    YIKES!!! "Dagmars" on steroids!!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    YIKES! I like nicely done custom cars but - (insert sound of violent wreching) - Perfect example of what NOT to do to a HUDSON! A Pacer or Matador would have made a better start.
  • Ok here's to the roll call I have a 1930 Essex Challenger sedan 4 door

Since its not a Hudson can I do what I want out of it :)

Rolling frame just about done when I get to the body can I count on any one here for help locating a few things that I need body was going going just about gone.

Is there anyone I can bug for pitures of there's so I can get things right?

Have a good 4th

As far as it goes what ever turns your crank!!

My sons are into lowriders they want me to put 20" rims on all my cars LOL
  • 20" rims were pretty common when your Essex was new :D Oh, the new styled rims... :rolleyes: Enjoy your car however you want to make it. Welcome to the forum, you'll find a great bunch of folks here that are really willing to help out whenever possible. :D
  • Hi, this is my first time on this forum so I hope to do this correctly: I own a 1937 Terraplane utility coupe. I've had it since 1973. I used it as a driver thirty years ago until it developed a rod knock. Strange, but even then it was an extremely unusual car - several times I'd be driving along and other cars would come up along side. I thought I'd cut them off or something, but what the other driver really wanted to know was, "what kind of car is that?" At least once I was pulled over by another driver, who wanted to know what kind of car it was and was it for sale? Another time some people followed me home from school, knocked on my door and when I answered, asked if I would take $200 for it . . .

My favorite story is this: Once a friend and I were at a bar shooting pool until 2AM. We were riding home in my '37 when we noticed a car following us. This was in a dark secluded residential area, so we were a little fearful that it would be a robbery, or that the unknown occupants wanted to start a fight for some reason. Finally we decided to get on with whatever was going to happen. We were two reasonably strong males in our twenties, so we figured we could handle ourselves if worst came to worst. I pulled down a side street, the other car made the turn behind us. I pulled up and stopped and waited for the occupants of the other car to begin whatever they intended to begin.

The following car pulled up alongside my driver's side. I rolled down my window. The passenger in the other car rolled down his window. The passenger asked:

"What kind of car is that?"

Me: "It's a Terraplane"

The passenger had a talk with his driver that I couldn't hear, then asked: "Is that an American car?"

Me: "Yes, it's a Hudson"

Passenger: "Thanks, I just won ten bucks!"

The other driver gunned it and disappeared. My drinking buddy and I laughed all the way home.
  • Very rare car. Great story, welcome to the forum. Yes, you did it right. Is it time to put her back together again? I hope so, there are very few Utility Coupes left.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    I feel like a relative youngster here being all of 46! It is clear that many people here have a long lifetime of Hudson experience, and that is great. For myself I am more interested in the pre-war cars and have a couple of original, dilapidated but mobile '36's (a Terraplane and a H8) and am currently looking at adding a nice '33 T8 sedan that I can use daily if I want to.

A Railton Light Sports Tourer replica is also on the "dreams are free" shopping list (0-60 in 8.8 in 1935 and 110mph on a 3.3:1 axle) using the T8 and later the H8 chassis & running gear, but that is a dream that will have to wait quite a while!

I do find that these cars draw the older folk like a magnet whenever I stop, there are lots of these people who know what a Terraplane is but haven't seen one for years and years. And in fact they still perform pretty well on the hills and corners of which there are many around here. The handling has surprised me actually, one can get around corners quite rapidly and also stop in a hurry.
  • Amusing, Your member name is the same as my younger sons Email name,
  • In response to BacktoHudsons, yes the car is in a long process of restoration. The engine is rebuilt, the body welded, sandblasted, primed, painted a dark maroon and back on the frame. Soon maybe it will be back on the road. Since I've figured out how to post on this forum I will no doubt be asking for help now and then . . .
  • I feel like a relative youngster here being all of 46!

Heh.

In that case I'm a baby at 35.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Thank god someone is finally older than me... (43) ;)
  • Let's not go there...I'm 50 :cool:
This discussion has been closed.