suicide solution

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Now you've got me curious... :confused: Can't wait to see what you do with it!

That's what I was thinking, especially when he is not sure what he is going to do.:eek:
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    SRCraftsman2 wrote:
    That's what I was thinking, especially when he is not sure what he is going to do.:eek:

Just from a purely aesthetic standpoint (and fully functional) would be that he's splitting the fender to make it a skoosh wider.

Aesthetically a slightly wider rear fender would look good with the wider front fenders and functionally for a fatter tire and some more clearance when its sitting on the ground.

Just a guess mind you...
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Sorry for the confusion. If you look in the first two pictures of the rear fender you can see there is a gap where the fender meets the running board. The plan is to reshape the fender and bring it out so it fills the gap and ends up about an inch wider then before. Probably about flush with the running board edge (if you were looking down the side of the car).

The tire actually needs to be a bit smaller too. The rim is ok, but the tire is too wide. Right now the only way to get the back wheel off is to first remove the back fender. :eek: Not very convenient if you should get a flat along the road somewhere.:)

The reason I cut the fender like I did was because I want to visualize it better. So I'm removing the triangular piece, it's junk. The large side piece is good just the way it is. The flange where the fender meets the body has a bad fit from the factory. There is a small body line that the fender should follow. Sorta' out-line the fender. That reveal varied from about a half inch to flush. It could look better.

So that's the plan. An inch wider, remake the front area, and better fit where it bolts up to the body. ...Now I'll mock it up and decide on some details. Like maybe continue the detail line from the running board into the fender? Maybe end the line where the fender and running board meet? I don't know yet. Any opinions or ideas???
  • bent metal
    How about this?
  • That looks good! They used that same transition on the front fenders of the 1939's and it should still allow you to use fender skirts if you like that style! Though I don't know how skirts would look on a sedan.

Kevin C.
  • rambos_ride
    bent metal wrote:
    How about this?

I'd carry the bodyline thru on the rear fenders as you illustrated...possibly redo the front fender to running board for a smoother transition (ie matches the back)
  • bent metal
    I think I'm going to have to get the basic shape done and work on the details later, if I have time. I remade the front part of the mounting flange and patched the mounting holes in the very back. Now I'm working on the triangle piece.
  • bent metal
    I think it needs to be a little more round, not so flat where it's been widened.
  • bent metal
    I'm shrinking with the Pullmax using a thumb nail die then smoothing everything out with the plannishing hammer. I also use the English Wheel a little bit, mostly just on big areas that have just a slight curve to them. Like a door skin.
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Bent,
    Just curious! Do you belong to MM?
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • bent metal
    mrsbojigger wrote:
    Hi Bent,

Just curious! Do you belong to MM?

Peace,

Chaz

I'm pretty sure your talking about "Metal Meet"? I've been on their web site, it's been years, but I've been there. I know Stan Fulton who is pretty active in that club. He's a good guy. I do try and see what others are doing to try and learn things from them. I look around on the "Jalopy" web site, I think it's called and also once in a while on "allshops". For right now I think my biggest obstacle is lack of experience. I need to do a little less reading and more working.:)

But yes, I agree Metal Meet is a great place to learn.
  • bent metal
    I've had a few e-mails/PMs from people asking me to give more details of how I did certain parts of this build. So I'll try to do that without getting too crazy. These next pictures are of the bottom side of the running board, now with the rear end caps on. Then I wanted to test fit the fenders on the car before I did all the final welding. They warped a little more then I had hoped, but it will all work out okay. ...If I ever do another job like this I would do it different. I would remake the body mount flange and make it wider. The width of the fender widening. That way there would only be one weld seem down the length of the fender. I got a little rushed, but this will work fine. Just more work for me the way I did it.:)
  • rambos_ride
    The running board to fender is looking good.

Wider! Make it Wider ~ the owner pays gas taxes right? Wider fenders Lets them use the whole lane up - getting more out of their tax dollars!

:D
  • Wow dude! That's some beautiful work. Keep the pics coming so the rest of us can drool over work can't do!
  • bent metal
    rambos_ride wrote:
    The running board to fender is looking good.

Wider! Make it Wider ~ the owner pays gas taxes right? Wider fenders Lets them use the whole lane up - getting more out of their tax dollars!

:D

Hahaha! The guy wanted about an inch wider and that's pretty much what he got. I made the front (on the top) an inch wider and the back a half inch wider. But, the bottom is leaned out a total of about two inches. This makes the fender look more straight up and down, doesn't tuck under so much. That also helps a lot toward bigger wheel clearance. It would be great if someone had a stock fender and could post a picture so we could see how much of a difference leaning the fender makes. It also helps to make the car look less top heavy, IMO. Just a side note, even after all of this I still couldn't get the tire on!!! You can get the wheel on, or the fender on, but not both at the same time. With the wheel on I couldn't reach the top most bolts in the fender, only the ends. So I told the boss, he says no, I want those wheels on that car. Hmmm, okay?? So I ended up bolting the fender on then lifting the car up as far as I could and disconecting the suspension, dropping it down far enough to mount the wheels. Then dropped the body back down over the mounted wheels and bolted everything back up!:eek: haha, crazy.:D But I think the overall look is good. I just don't want to be the one who has to change the tires!:D
  • bent metal
    I still want to knit pick the fenders a little bit. But they're pretty much done.:)
  • bent metal
    The wheels fill up the hole real nice, just too big to take on and off. If I remember right they are 295s, or so. Anyhow, this is about it. I also decided to go ahead and remake the fender support piece. The old ones would of had to of been widened and straightened and the mounting holes were too sloppy. Better to just make new, IMO.:)
  • rambos_ride
    Lookin' good...I still think the rear fender needs to be fatter Really..I'd like to see the rears widen out as much as the front fenders do - the look from front to back would be more symetrical. IMHO ;) -
  • bent metal
    rambos_ride wrote:
    Lookin' good...I still think the rear fender needs to be fatter Really..I'd like to see the rears widen out as much as the front fenders do - the look from front to back would be more symetrical. IMHO ;) -

Yeah, maybe. I wanna' see it outside. Then we'll see if it looks right or not. I was thinking it might of looked better if the running boards got more narrow towards the back. That would do like you say, make the front and back more symetrical without the rear fenders hanging way out. But, I'm sure as heck not going to change it now! :DIf the owner doesn't like the look I can unbolt the running boards and make new or alter those ones. We'll see.:)
  • bent metal
    Okay, my to-do list is done. Unless the boss wants something changed or added, my part is finished. I'll try and get pictures of her as things get done by other people.

Hope you enjoyed the journey.:)
  • bent metal
    During the build I couldn't really take a good photo of the passenger side (garage is too small) so here ya' go. ...Nice to be able to step back and take a look.
  • bent metal
    hmmm, wonder what it would look like as a "street rod, ...or a "low rider", ...or a tail dragger? :rolleyes: :D
  • rambos_ride
    You, very rightly - should be proud of your work...I wish I was the bodyshop getting this car :D

Most of the time "metal guys" don't finish their work out to the quality shown in your project-progress photos.

Hopefully you were able to put some "food on the table" with this project and it wasn't all done "for the love of metal work :p"

Thanks for sharing the pics - when do you want to start your own website for your business? ;)
  • bent metal
    rambos_ride wrote:
    You, very rightly - should be proud of your work...I wish I was the bodyshop getting this car :D

Thank you very much Dan. Yeah a lot of parts had to come together and fit tight. Time consuming.:)

Most of the time "metal guys" don't finish their work out to the quality shown in your project-progress photos.

Hopefully you were able to put some "food on the table" with this project and it wasn't all done "for the love of metal work :p"

Your so right! It seems like a fine line between doing the work and being happy with it and not putting so much time in that it goes above and beyond what I can reasonably charge a guy. ...So I think I put some food on the table, but it wasn't steak, we had spaghetti. Which is fine with me.:D

Thanks for sharing the pics - when do you want to start your own website for your business? ;)

Are you wanting to build web sites now?:)
  • rambos_ride
    bent metal wrote:
    Are you wanting to build web sites now?:)

That's what I do - um... did for a living :rolleyes: up until a couple of weeks ago!

My usual website work is custom, database driven (ie expensive to build) but we could throw together a static website with some upload capabilities to let you manage the content pretty simply and then most of the cost involved is for the domain name and hosting.

Having a website to promote your work and yourself would pay off eventually!

Send me and email or pm if you want to explore it some more.
  • bent metal
    I sorta thought web sites were below you. Kinda' like a good engine rebuild guy doing oil changes. I waiste of his time. But, if your willing to do it, I'm for sure interested. ....I'll e-mail you.:)

Thanks!
  • I really like the stance on the first shot. Really beautiful work man!
  • Something about the lines on this car look better than original. I held the edge of a sheet of note book paper up to the side view picture of the belt line on your car and it is as straight as can be. Was that luck or did you make that happen? It seems that most Hudsons of this era have a tipped up hood, in the front/grill area which makes the whole car appear bent down in the middle. Which ever the reason, the result is good. The body lines look good.

I enjoy seeing the craftsmanship, please keep the pictures coming.
  • FABULOUS WORK!

Kevin C.
  • bent metal
    Thank you guys for the compliments. It's very much appreciated. :) As I have a great deal of respect for the people on this forum.

Mr. Chapin, yes, I did alter the mounts on the front fenders in order to make the belt-line straight. I also made the fender to cowl fit better. They always seem to not line up in that spot. I did a couple of little things like that to try and make the car more like how I think the designers would of wanted it. But the Hudson factory maybe just couldn't spend the time fussing over.

Funny, I didn't think anyone would notice exactly what I did. I thought it would just look right to someone, without them knowing really why.:)