Hudsons and Street Rodding?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just wanted to get everyones opinion of street rodding. I happen to be a fan of Hudsons and classic street rods. In the not so distant future I plan to bring the two together. However I'm not a fan of "modern street rods" My goal is to build my hudson just like a young kid would have done in the 50's. This means keeping the Hudson drive train. Primer black finish and some mild customizing. I come from a family of Hudson purists so Im going a little against the grain.

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Sgnl50

Comments

• TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Zip up the firesuit its probably going to get a little warm... :D
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    TwinH wrote:

Yeah, get the :) firesuit on, an extinguisher handy, a thick skin graft at the ready and put in "Street Rod" or the like on the forum search for a taste of what will most likely be coming. Other than that, welcome to the Forum!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Sgnl50 wrote:
    I just wanted to get everyones opinion of street rodding. I happen to be a fan of Hudsons and classic street rods. In the not so distant future I plan to bring the two together. However I'm not a fan of "modern street rods" My goal is to build my hudson just like a young kid would have done in the 50's. This means keeping the Hudson drive train. Primer black finish and some mild customizing. I come from a family of Hudson purists so Im going a little against the grain.

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Sgnl50

If you haven't seen any of my posts I'm Resto-Rodding a 49 Commodore and have a website at 49C8.Com I'm going with a GM drivetrain and some updated electronics but otherwise plan to keep it looking like its original "flair" - BTW - I haven't gotten too beat up on this forum for making my custom mods, so don't be shy!

If you are going to use the Hudson drivetrain I would suggest at least checking out Uncommon Engineering and their 7X+ 308 Hornet Engine Exchange or Outright motors - spendy but cool! Uncommon Engineering

Be careful with a "primer black" finish. Primers don't generally have UV protectant and will not hold up - letting moisture soak through and you know what that does - cause rust.

There are a couple of different rust encapsulating primers out there many are using

1. POR15 - good product but needs a topcoat for anything exposed to sunlight since it does not have UV protection

2. Eastwood Rust Encapsulator - good product and it DOES have UV protectant and can be left as a topcoat.

(you can search the forum on either product and see past discussions of pros and cons)

Black Satin Paint is what I am going to topcoat my car with - I'm leaning towards DuPonts HOT HUES Hot Rod Black. It comes 'pre-mixed' with the correct level of flattening agents to produce the satin finish.

I think Sherwin-Williams automotive paints may have a satin clear which may be another alternative (I have to do more research first to find out)

Good Luck feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions.
  • It all boils to the fact that it's the OWNER'S car, period. What he does with it (resto, rod, whatever) is the owner's business.
  • KOOL HUDSONS come in ALL FLAVORS.... OEM, ALMOST OEM, LOOKS LIKE OEM, GEE THATS A MERC, isn't it?
  • Sgnl50 wrote:

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Sgnl50

You are speaking my language! You'll find no flamethrower from my end of the forum.

My candidate for the same type project.

8a_3.jpg

Mark
  • Sounds cool which Hudson you going to rod?
  • My first thought was a 51 or 52 Coupe. But since this is something I've never done before I think I might start with a Jet.
  • go ahead!! i owned a 51 coupe hudson full kustom and i like that!!!
  • TwinH wrote:

Welcome, jump on in!!! The water's fine...well, most of the time. :D

I will probably end up doing both; resto on a 1952 Hornet Sedan and rodding a 1951 Hornet Sedan (I got it for parts for the '52). I just bought a 1954 Hornet for an everyday driver.
  • Get A 41 Tp 47 Longwheelbase Coupe And Build A Twin H 7x Hornet, You Will Have A Street Rod, Bill Albright
  • hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    Hey guys be careful what you say, sgnl50 is my son. How many 28 year olds can boast that their first ride in a car was a Hudson. If he wants to resto a Hudson I don't care as long as its not the 49 sedan that I brought him home from the hospital in.

He knows what I went through restoring my 49 brougham trying to keep the car as pure as possible. This past Sunday I had my car at the Cruisin' On Main Street show that I help put on in Manchester, CT. We had 5 Hudsons at the show. My 49 Brougham won another trophy, but I have to admit that the 50 Hudson Street Rod parked next to my car got more attention than my car.

The car show is five years old and we had an estimated 2800 cars and about 30,000 people. Not bad for a one day Main Street Cruise.
  • Don't worry Dad! The sedan will stay stock.
  • Jet sounds like a good project. Friend of mine has a Jet with Twin H goes like stink. Its painted two tone cream and red so its quite the sleeper.
  • Howdy

I've got a '50 Hudson Pacemaker tudor that was a shell when I got it. I'm gonna put a Chevy drivetrain in it. It already had a Chrysler rear end and front suspension installed. I am also buying a '53 Horney twinH that I plan to restore.

The guy that I bought these from also has a '50 Commodore coupe that has a '77 eldorado motor mounted in the rear!! It can be bought cheap!

Billy
  • a 7x rodded Jet would be a nice, and quite a bit quicker than a stepdown. I'm not a big advocate of chopping the top of a stepdown, I really don't see the need in it. The Jet on the other hand, needs its roofline to be lowered and maybe even some body sectioning to get it a bit leaner looking.

On the other hand, I have to agree with Bill A - there is something about a prewar coupe with a 7x in it that just screams "Hudson Hot Rod". I'm perpetually envious of Dany Spring and Randy Maas. Finding the right candidate for that kind of rod without cutting up a good, restorable coupe is tough.

I'm gonna finish the '49 as a traditional, Hudson powered, hot rod and the Super Wasp as an original (308 powered) before I even entertain anything else.

Somewhere down the line I'd love to build an Essex w/308 for drag racing in old fashioned "Gasser" configuration.

Mark
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Go for it !! Look, cars have been changed and remodeled from the very first time someone built a buckboard with wheels and stuck a motor on it. For the purist, I love you guys and your dedication to the hobby but how far do you carry keeping something as it was first built. The first time you have a flat and put a patch on the tire, changed the oil or put a sunvisor on it you have changed the original car. What if your spouse or child needed a heart valve or a lung transplant. To carry the purist thought process to it's logical conclusion would you say, "Sorry, you were not built with a plastic heart valve or someone elses lung" so you'll just have to do without it. So listen guys, there is room for all of us in this wonderful world of cars.

Chaz
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    pic.php?u=21959xUBm8&i=172305 Here is something to ponder
  • TOM-WA- wrote:
    pic.php?u=21959xUBm8&i=172305 Here is something to ponder

Thanks for that. I just lost my breakfast...
  • ever hear of a John deere tractor product called blitz black, it looks like black primer and wears like arcrylic enamel
  • Sgnl50 wrote:

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Sgnl50

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY FRIEND IN TO A HUDSON FOR EVER.WELL I DID IT WE FOUND A 1934 HUDSON TERRAPLANE COOL. O IT IS NOT STOCK , IT HAS MICKY TOMSONS ON THE ALL AROUND 9IN. FORD REAR 350 CHEVY 350 TRANS AN IT (RUNS) .I HAVE A 1946 HUDSON P/U WITH A 283 CHEVY 350 TRANS 9 IN FORD REAR NOT A ROCKET BUT A NICE RIDE.I LOVE MY TRUCK .TO ANSWER YOUR? DO IT .I LOVE MY FRENDS 34 I LIKE ALL CARS AND THAT IS MY THOUGHT.

HUDSON DAVR
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Sgnl50 wrote:

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Sgnl50

Well since you asked for opinions, to me Hudson speed equipment is more interesting engineering to see in a period rod (please no one take this personal but..) everyone and their grandma has a V8 under the hood at shows.

I'd rather see a 308 twin H 7X with Edmunds or Clifford equipment or an uncommon engineering engine under the hood. Don't think there's any need to chop the top of a step-down either since A. it's uni-boy design and B. it came form the factory with 11" windows. I'm only 27 and I prefer original and I won't wax on philosophically or get into a big debate about as to why....... but Patrick is right it's your car and this is only my opinion.
  • If you go the "CHEVY" route, just try to find ways to make "IT" unique.
  • boothguy
    boothguy Senior Contributor
    Well since you asked for opinions, to me Hudson speed equipment is more interesting engineering to see in a period rod (please no one take this personal but..) everyone and their grandma has a V8 under the hood at shows.

I'd rather see a 308 twin H 7X with Edmunds or Clifford equipment or an uncommon engineering engine under the hood. Don't think there's any need to chop the top of a step-down either since A. it's uni-boy design and B. it came form the factory with 11" windows. I'm only 27 and I prefer original and I won't wax on philosophically or get into a big debate about as to why....... but Patrick is right it's your car and this is only my opinion.

I would like to see an Uncommon Engineering engine under the hood too, I just don't want to be the one paying for it. There are more old cars out there than people with the skills, cash and desire to do a full restoration on them. Its great to see a 27 year old interested in Hudsons but they are pretty rare. I'm one of the young guys in our chapter and I'm 50. If my Grandfather hadn't driven stepdowns into the 60's I'd be into 60's stuff like the rest of my generation. I'm glad to see any old car brought back to life modified or not.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Ideally all surviving Hudson's should be put back on the road.....but you're right there is a shortage of people.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm the kid in our Chapter and I'm 44. The members never take their cars to any other shows (and hardly to Chapter meetings!), so there is no exposure to the public with our cars. I'm the founder of the local Mopar club (1982-present), and, since Chrysler and Hudson do have a relationship through the AMC deal, we invite AMC, Hudson, and Nash cars to our annual show, but only the AMC guy shows up! We even have a "not-judged" class that only takes ten bucks to enter, and you get to have a great time! So, why is it that HET members are so reticent to even drive their cars, much less display them at a non-Hudson or any open event? And, they are the first to gripe out a fellow Hudson ownere for modifying a Hudson and, horrors!, actually taking a car out and enjoying it!

As soon as the '37 Terraplane is legally drivable, you bet it's gonna hit a few shows, and maybe even win something with it! But, I tire of the "old-fart" mentality that seems to permeate everything Hudson. If my words upset a couple of you, good, then you know who you are.
  • When modifying, you're only limited by your imagination, your mechanical ability, and/or your pocketbook!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    66patrick66 - we have the same problem here in New England. (1) Most New England members will NOT, under any circumstances, take their cars out to a brand x show, especially if, God Forbid, they might be asked to toss in a fiver to help with expenses. (2) Most of these no-shows are the first ones to scream to the heavens if a street rodded Hudson shows up somewhere - but I'll guarentee you if there is one in the area you WILL find it at shows. Usually other than Hudson shows because some people don't get the msg.

Msg?? Yeah, that msg that says it may be rodded but it ain't in a junk yard!!!

I once put a post on the old forum - I'll put it here again. "If you got a Hudson, and you ain't proud enough of it to take it out to shows, then give it to me and I'LL take it out to shows!! I'll get the Hudson msg out, I'll educate the younger generation as to what Hudsons are, about their legacy, and I'll make converts out of them." Any takers - or are you guys just going to hide your Hudsons in your garage or back yard meets.

I know, I know - I don't have a Hudson, can't afford one (really), and I know there are some that bring their Hudsons out - but damned few. At least around here.

My soap box for the day.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

(See - I don't hide behind a moniker)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The Macungie, Pa. antique car show last weekend, proves that Hudsonites can get their Hudsons out to non-Hudson shows -- and in great numbers! A 1300-car mixed-make show, and over 100 of the cars were Hudsons! To be sure, this was a 'one year wonder' because Hudson was chosen as the featured marque in 2005. Still...

We also have an impressive Hudson turnout yearly at the annual Winchester, Virginia multi-make "Apple Blossom Meet", held the same spring weekend as the "Doc's Meet" Hudson get-together in nearby Front Royal. Twenty-five Hudsons were on the show field this year and we've sometimes had even more.

And, our local chapter works hard to 'get out the troops' to non-Hudson shows, working with show organizers to set up non-judged "Hudson" classes, which allow all our cars to be displayed together regardless of year of manufacture. We also put such shows on our yearly events schedule as official Chapter affairs; miss that show, and you miss that month's Hudson activity. Two years ago we managed to get out 12 Hudsons at the Frederick, Md. 'Rose Hill" car show.

You're correct: getting Hudsonites to bring their cars out for other to see, can be like the proverbial herding of felines. But it can be done, usually through the concentrated efforts of a few people on the local level who roll up their sleeves, play up the event in their newsletters, and even get on the phone to twist some arms.

It might be that if we actively work to encourage such turnout, Hudsonites will actually get used to the concept of sharing their cars with others, and will begin to show up of their own accord. But until that happens, it is obviously going to require that a few committed people take the bull by the horns and wrestle him into the local AACA show!

The payoff will be that more and more people who never even heard of a Hudson will see one, like what they see, and join the Club. This benefits us all.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Our chapter has only done one multi-make open show this year everything else was backyard barbecues. Those are fine once in a while but we get into annual backyard barbecues and no one ends up seeing our Hudson's. We're not even booked for the local orphan show this year (I'm going though) Some members seem to only care about Hudson's and no other makes but I think at least HALF our scheduel of meets should be public. Plus members should get eachother out to local cruise nights. When I host meets I try to make sure they are very public, me and another member put together one at Chicago's Navy Pier and were swarmed with people admiring our cars and asking questions. As long as my Hudson is running I'm going to drive it.......I'd even use it as a daily driver. This hobby is waaaaay too expensive for you to just finish your car and leave it in the garage. That makes for a pretty expensive garage ornament. Why not get a full size poster of a car and put that in your garage? Accomplishes the same thing and costs a lot less. Only way that makes sense is if your car is the only one surviving on the planet. Meritt Marks intended for HET to be a non-judging DRIVERS club.
This discussion has been closed.