Hudsons and Street Rodding?

2»

Comments

• Alex, I can't figure out our membership at all. Locally, like any other club, it's the same eight or ten people that are doing all of the legwork, particuipating in the activities, contributing to the newsletter, etc. There are some outstanding cars in the Dust Bowl Chapter that I've only seen pictures of. I'd like to hear what progress people are making on their cars-under-construction. Everyone knows how my '37 is coming along, because it's my normal topic in the newsletter. What shows have people gone to? No one shares this information with me, the lowly editor, and yet they get tired of reading about my car.

There are maybe three members in our Chapter that take their cars to non-Hudson meets, of over 40, ar least that I am aware of. One of them is a '46 Super Six with a Buick V-6 in it that he drives every single day to work. But I digress from the origianl topic...

If modifying a Hudson is what it takes to get it on the road, so be it. Do I want to see somebody take a perfect Stepdown and put a small-block Chevy in it? Of course not. If it's all there, I'd lean torwards restoration or restification. But, if you have a shell, do what you want!

One last thing - why are Hudson owners so reluctant to have their cars judged??? I understand the all-Hudson thing at the Nationals and at regional events, but what is the big hang-up about judging? "It's a judged show, so I'm not going to it!". What's up with that, frankly elitist and snobby, attitude???
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I agree. If you have a rusty old Hudson or even a halfway decent one of which there are hundreds of examples, you can modify it with a clear conscience. And that's great! Taking something that was going to the scrapyard anyway, and making it into your own personal creation, is a wonderful thing. It takes ability to turn out a beautiful customized car, it turns heads at shows, and it will attract many of the younger folks who otherwise would have had no interest in Hudsons.

But what if there are only a handful left of your particular year and model? Or what if you've got a really low-milage, solid and original Hudson? If you're really intent on creating a really neat street rod that uses a Brand X running gear, and heavily modifying the body, wouldn't it make more sense to sell your 'good' car (to someone who values it for its originality), then take the money and buy something that's in worse shape (since you intend to re-make it anyway), or something not so rare? Then, you're putting TWO Hudsons on the road: the one that was going to be junked, and the "original" one as well. A net gain for Hudson-dom!

People keep saying, 'it's MY car, I'll do what I want to with it!' Well, I have never heard anyone seriously suggesting otherwise! But as someone once said to me, 'they're not making any more Hudsons!' The total number of all Hudsons still around is probably a tiny percentage of all the 1957 Chevies still in existence, just for example. Once they're scrapped, or heavily modified, they are no longer capable of ever coming back as 'originals'. So, if you want to customize, street rod, or modify a Hudson, go ahead, and more power to you. But just keep in mind that there is a finite number of decent, original examples left. And if someone really appeciates the uniqueness of Hudsons, I'd think they'd agree that we need to all work together -- modified and original owners -- to maximize the number of Hudsons on the road.

And, incidentally, we should also work together to get our Hudsons -- modified or original -- out to car shows!
  • maybe its something as easy as a lot of hudson owners don't have anything in common with the average person who goes to car shows. i know most people in our local club don't like street rods and they would be real out of place at most car shows where most of the cars are modified. there is something different about the local hudson people and the streetrod bunch, can't really put my finger on it but it seems to be like oil and water. i think its a whole different train of thought. don't know if i can make anybody understand this but i would rather hear how you made seville disc fit on your car and shaving the door handles or how you modified this piece of metal than how you rebuilt the original brakes on a hudson. and i'm sure it works both ways alot of the origanal hudson owners even though they could do all these mods aren't into it and don't hang around these shows where the main thing is showing off your mods. i don't know if trying to mix these different cultures is a good idea or not but i edo know that its your choice to modify or keep origanal just like its your choice where and when you take your car out.
  • frankmn wrote:
    maybe its something as easy as a lot of hudson owners don't have anything in common with the average person who goes to car shows. i know most people in our local club don't like street rods and they would be real out of place at most car shows where most of the cars are modified. there is something different about the local hudson people and the streetrod bunch, can't really put my finger on it but it seems to be like oil and water. i think its a whole different train of thought. don't know if i can make anybody understand this but i would rather hear how you made seville disc fit on your car and shaving the door handles or how you modified this piece of metal than how you rebuilt the original brakes on a hudson. and i'm sure it works both ways alot of the origanal hudson owners even though they could do all these mods aren't into it and don't hang around these shows where the main thing is showing off your mods. i don't know if trying to mix these different cultures is a good idea or not but i edo know that its your choice to modify or keep origanal just like its your choice where and when you take your car out.

Frank,

I hope your wrong. I find it hard to believe that most Hudson owners don't like or appreciate other brand cars or even looking at some street rods. Let those who pretend that the club will live forever by wearing blinders stay home and drink their prune juice.

Seems to me one the best compliments and admiration one can get is from the owner of a fellow car enthusiast. Niels
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    I hope so too.

I haven't done any surveys, marketing analysis, etc. (although I am sure that somewhere, someone has), but...

Honestly, I don't think the percentages of Hudson owners who routinely drive their 'collectible vehicles' are much different than any other brands, makes or models. In fact, they're probably equivalent or higher, given the overall percentages of Hudsons still registered and 'on the road'...

Neils, what have you got against prune juice?

I'd have to disagree - at least here in Washington State. Other than seeing TOM-WA's stepdown I have NEVER seen a Hudson of any flavor driving the roads in the Seattle area - and I have lived here all my life -I see plenty of the other brand X's all the time... :mad:

It also seems to me that most of these HET club sponsored Hudson meets are all back east - you guys got a west coast bias or something?

I'd much rather see 10 Hudsons driving down the road than 10 Hudsons sitting at a car show - now back to my trunk pan!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2013
    Grumpy wrote:
    I hope so too.

I haven't done any surveys, marketing analysis, etc. (although I am sure that somewhere, someone has), but...

Honestly, I don't think the percentages of Hudson owners who routinely drive their 'collectible vehicles' are much different than any other brands, makes or models. In fact, they're probably equivalent or higher, given the overall percentages of Hudsons still registered and 'on the road'...

Neils, what have you got against prune juice?

If the prune juice is fermented...maybe 13% alcohol or higher, I'm game! Niels
  • I am 28 years old and have grown up around Hudsons and old cars. My love for the Hudson automobile was passed onto me and my younger brother (25) from our father and uncle. Everytime I take out our 49 Sedan I am amazed at how many people come up and talk about Hudsons.I try to tell everyone I talk to about the Hudson Club. Just a little word of mouth and an occasional cruise night or car show can really help out the club(s) on a local and national level.

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Matt Firestone

Sgnl50
  • Well, here we go again into the restore/modify discussion...

I digress though. I was at a small (30 cars) old car barbeque this last Sunday only because the guy sponsoring the meet saw the '54 in my driveway. I didn't even know it existed. My '54 was the only Hudson there and everybody had something positive to say about it, especially with the fully restored, Twin-H powered 308 under the hood!

I met another Hudson nut there at the meet but he brought his fully customized '49 Mercury and what a beautiful car it was. We spoke for a little while and he was really positive about me joining the club again as "most of the members are in their upper 70's, 80's and even 90's". He was at the National meet in Reno and was disappointed with the general age of the Hudson club members. It makes me feel like a real youngster at 50!!

On another note, we discussed the modification of Hudson products at length as he is rodding a '52 coupe. He was totally amazed at the engineering and strength of the Hudson as from the facotry. I let him know that I support rodding a Hudson as it still gets the marque in front of the people and let them know how cool the car is!!

We agreed to pass information back and forth so I can bring the '54 to a lot more of the cruise-ins and other old car events. I was really jazzed about seeing the different types of cars that are in the clubs here in SLC. Full customs, street rods, low riders, street machines, restored muscle cars, you name it and it was at the event!!

Let's keep Hudson in front of other folks and put away the restore/rod hatchet. In the long run all it does is divide a great bunch of folks.
  • why do you guys keep insisting that a discussion on original or rodding is always going to be an argument. even the thought of talking about it threatins the club. lighten up a little this is a car site and the topic is cars nobody here wants to hurt the hudson club no more than when you are talking holley verse edelbrock are wishing to damage one or the other. goal is understanding. by the way who makes hudson. lol
  • took my street rod to a national muscle car event in july, i was the only street rod there. i felt like i had a original orphan car at a street rod show. there were 3000 or more cars there. i parked way out of the way i felt like i was invading there ground or something.
  • Frank

Welcome back... missed your chat participation! Good to know you are still Hudsonin'. Check the chat and come back often... lets see some pics of your Hudson here too!

Cheers
  • Well, here we go again into the restore/modify discussion...

I digress though. I was at a small (30 cars) old car barbeque this last Sunday only because the guy sponsoring the meet saw the '54 in my driveway. I didn't even know it existed. My '54 was the only Hudson there and everybody had something positive to say about it, especially with the fully restored, Twin-H powered 308 under the hood!

I met another Hudson nut there at the meet but he brought his fully customized '49 Mercury and what a beautiful car it was. We spoke for a little while and he was really positive about me joining the club again as "most of the members are in their upper 70's, 80's and even 90's". He was at the National meet in Reno and was disappointed with the general age of the Hudson club members. It makes me feel like a real youngster at 50!!

On another note, we discussed the modification of Hudson products at length as he is rodding a '52 coupe. He was totally amazed at the engineering and strength of the Hudson as from the facotry. I let him know that I support rodding a Hudson as it still gets the marque in front of the people and let them know how cool the car is!!

We agreed to pass information back and forth so I can bring the '54 to a lot more of the cruise-ins and other old car events. I was really jazzed about seeing the different types of cars that are in the clubs here in SLC. Full customs, street rods, low riders, street machines, restored muscle cars, you name it and it was at the event!!

Let's keep Hudson in front of other folks and put away the restore/rod hatchet. In the long run all it does is divide a great bunch of folks.

Hi

Being the owner of a Al Saffhran repaired Hudson will provide you with years of great service. Your being in SLC puts you in Hudson territory. Glen Johnson, Robert Johnson, Shiftless Leo and many others have long campaigned Hudsons from the great state of UTAH. Even my oldest son remarked to me that when he lived in Park City and worked in SLC, he saw more Hudsons being driven than in his native Texas. I think you will find there is a great bunch of Hudsonites all round you... good luck with your 54.

:D
  • !!!BOY!! I missed it. I was in Iowa on Vacation till 8/21,but I will comment anyway, I was in a car show earlier in the month in Hanover Pa with maybe 100 other cars , only HET product there was my 33 T8 Coupe, it was a FREE meet.there must be at least 25 club members with cars within 20 miles of this meet Where were they?Again only if it is a HET only meet. There must be a least 15 car shows in this area every year that are no show for HET products. As to street rodding Hudsons, I love it, Whatever it takes, but dont put my car down just because you dont like them,as to restored cars I am currently restoring a 1919 Essex a fellow in England and a 1920 Essex for a fellow in Florida, both tourings
  • ever hear of a John deere tractor product called blitz black, it looks like black primer and wears like arcrylic enamel

That was suggested to me before I painted my 46 p/u. I forgot about it and painted it with black arcrylic enamel and added a flattening agent

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Tom, since it was earlier this month, maybe all the local Hudson owners were still exhausted from showing their cars at Macungie in the 90+ degree heat, LOL!
  • WELCOME BACK FRANK! As you can see, the original/modify thing has been going on, since we first talked about it, on the old Hudson Chat, back in '99. I changed all the stuff I said I was going to do, and had a blast with the car all last Summer. I now have the car in a million pieces, and am putting it back together, painting, powdercoating, and plating as I go. It'll be a while before it's "roadready" again, but at least all the changes worked, without a single flaw. Once again....glad to see you're still kick'n!
  • YEA RIGHT, It was before Macungie, In 20 years in this area, the only HET members I HAVE EVER SEEN at a local meet(and we have a lot of them locally) are the bunch from Spring Grove Pa
  • been watching your pictures all along wes your car is looking good.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I live in the nothern Virginia area and attend a lot of the local shows/cruises. The only members that I ever see are the Lewis's and the Boyles' cars. I know that we have more cars than that in the local area, they just don't come out. For example- The Great American Race stopped in the Front Royal area this year. One would think that Hudson more members would have shown up to cheer the Hudsons and Essexs on as they came through. The only ones that were there myself and Alan Lewis. The guys running in the race were THRILLED to see our cars posted on each side of the road welcoming them in! Like John B. said "We also have an impressive Hudson turnout yearly at the annual Winchester, Virginia multi-make "Apple Blossom Meet", held the same spring weekend as the "Doc's Meet" Hudson get-together in nearby Front Royal. Twenty-five Hudsons were on the show field this year." The only problem was there was only TWO Hudsons at the 300+ multi-make car show at THE SAME field only the weekend before. I guess If its not all Hudson or an AACA meet, folks won't go.
  • RE:street-rodding vs restoration

I don't know about the rest of the country,BUT around here (arkansas-southeast missouri-west tennessee)most street rodded vehicles are those that was saved from the crushers,in defense of street-rodding, many parts are made available that would otherwise be crushed and sent to the metal re-cyclers.

I dearly love restored vehicles but I also dearly love street-rodding, and some are fortunate enough to live in both worlds at the same time.
  • Your a good man, my sentiments also.
  • don't let one persons opinion distract you. I built my 53 superwasp and it looks better than just about any car I see runnin the road. And faster too. The is a man in Indy that spec in the hudson 6's and ford flathead v8's. He can get almost 800 hp out of the flat 6. I saw a hudson he built for a doctor that will run 165 mph. He updated the frame, brakes, etc. Check out his web site. Uncommon engineering. Give him a call. He loves to chat with hudson lovers and is willing to give free advise. I almost enjoy driving my wasp than I do my 48 ford coupe. Give him a call, you'll be glad you did
  • is that 165 in the 1/4 mile? or across the state of texas? LOL
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    MOJOJONNO wrote:
    G,day, I've Just Got A 49 Supersix 95%. It's Full Of Rust I Hope I Can Save It. I Was Glad To Find Your Website 49c8.i Will Be Watching For Inspration.

I own and operate 49C8.Com and wanted to say - Hello!

Rust problems can be a pain! Just look through the forum and you'll find many posts dealing with rust and finding parts.

My 49 Commodore is now finally starting to resemble a car again - I see less and less day-light filtering through rust holes as they are almost done being repaired!

There are a couple of people making some small patch panels for stepdowns but no one making replacment panels (search the forum for Ken Amman and Green Mountain Parts)

If the car is really rusty - think seriously about getting a solid donor car for parts or vice-versa (making your car the parts car!)

2 fairly inexpensive but indespensible tools I used to make my patch panels where a Hand Bead Roller and a 2 pc. shrinker/strecher combo set. About 280.00 total and I have been able to make all patch panels (including the 4 panel trunk pan replacement) - door edge bottoms, etc. (I'm going to buy front floor pans from Ken Amman and Rockers from Green Mountain Parts)

Eastwood Tools - more high end tools, full restoration supplies. - Tools, Rust Encapsulator

Harbor Freight Tools - lower cost tool alternatives. I've been mostly satisfied with what I have purchased from them to date - Bead Roller 88.00

ebay - do you really need a link for this one? - I bought a shrinker/strecher combo set on ebay - they had the best price. 170.00

The only other tool I would have loved would be a sheet metal bender/brake - but maybe someday...

Good luck with your project and ask lots of questions!

P.S. Keep watching http://www.49C8.Com for more updates soon!
This discussion has been closed.