Gasoline Prices

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello everyone,--- I am quite surprised that there has been no conversation regarding the ridiculous gasoline prices of the last few days. This has got to influence the attendance at some of our meets. My closest station (7 miles down the road) has it priced at $3.60 a gallon as of yesterday. Are all of the other States experiencing these radical gas mark ups overnight? Cliff Minard.

Comments

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Cliff,

Here in southern Maine, yesterday, gas prices stood around $3.06 about 8am. By 9 they had gone to $3.09 - in the afternoon, in the space of a half hour they went up to $3.69, a .60 cent spike. Havn't gone downtown yet - walking is looking to be an alternative, or getting the bike out - almost afraid to go downtown.

I can see stations raising prices as new supplies come in, but to me, charging $3.60 for gas that the station bought for, say $3.00 and sold for $3.09, then jacked up to $3.60 is price gouging pure and simple.

We have an interesting situation here in Maine - our fuel comes from Canadian refiners; they purchase their supplies from all over the world, not doubt at best price. So you would think we in Maine would be paying a lower price to Canadian suppliers, but such is not the case. Their prices to us are fixed by the U S National Prices. If you think American oil companies are rolling in money..................Canadians got to be making even more.

Well, what do the oil companies and speculators care - they'll keep warm this winter. They don't need heating oil, they got money to burn.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • I gassed up my Tahoe, and PT on Monday, thinking that the events were going to have an impact on gas prices... I guess I was right... I paid $2.45 on Monday, just topped off the PT today, on the way home, for a measly 30.00 (and that was at $3.29 a gallon..)

I cannot afford to drive my Tahoe, it is sitting for the most part, with a full tank, and Iam going to invest in a set of locking gas caps for each vehicle today, I have heard many stories of gas theft recently, and I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

Also, not to get political, but I guess I will cross that line, I really think that we (the US ) are being punished for the decisions being made by our fearless leader. I think the world is so upset (mainly the OPEC nations, okay read MIDDLE EAST, so what, if someone says, well the US only gets a small portion of their fuel from the middle east, still OPEC sets the price...) at us, that they finally found a way to impact us, in a major way, not to forget about the hurricane , but gas was already high enough without the additional strain on the price structure. As a registered republican, (an I did not support GW this last time around, since I feel his track record was not good for the first 4 years) I really disagree with the direction the party is heading, and the stance it is taking in the world theater. Not only are we paying close to three times at the pumps as what we were at the end of 2000, but my medical insurance has gone from $1200 a year to now, $5400 a year in 4 short years.

So what does this have to do with hudsons? Okay, i'll relate it all. I got my Hudson out of storage to work on it, enjoy it, and try to bring another one back from the "dead" unfortunately, if this is the trend of the future, continual rising cost, just to get by, I (as well as others) will not be able to afford to do projects as such. Hobbies such as this will likely die out. nobody (or very few) will have the extra income, after you feed and clothe, and school, and provide a roof over a family's head for several years.

As a side note, I was talking (via a messaging system we have at work) to a guy in India (yeah how about all of our jobs that continually are flowing over seas?) about my Hudson, and having a car as a hobby, and he could not comprehend the idea of having a car for anything other than basic transportation. They pay around $9.00 for a gallon of gas, and most of them (with a good job) make around $6.00 an hour.

I don't know Cliff, but I guess you asked a question that will get a lot of response....

I hope someone out there can feel my pain....

On one happy note, my wife did go back to work yesterday, so it's me, My little girl, and the newborn.... during the day, until 1:00 in the afternoon, by which time I get to go to bed to get up and work third shift, because day care is too expensive...

Oh well, I can at least retire when I am, umm... let's see,... 68, I think it is.....

Best!

Rick

haha, one more thing, now that gas is so high, buying the hornet conv on eBay was one thing, but going to get it will cost too much.... just in gas..... 1700 miles one way
  • I am in NYC. You dont want to know what gas costs here. high $4's to $5+. I am headed back to the hills.
  • I'm not going anywhere, including Chapter meets. Not at $3.26/gallon.

At least Diesel is still below three bucks here.

Gas went up from $1.92 on 27 July, to $2.12 on 4 August, to $2.51 on 15 Aug, to $2.77 this past Monday, to $2.99 the next day, $3.09 on Thursday. to $3.26 this morning (Saturday).

No price gouging going on here.

They're raising the prices to the point where people are going to start killing each other, then they'll bring it down...a penny a week. Oh, wait, we're going from the "summer driving season" (whatever the hell that means; I drive year-round, personally!) to the "winter heating season" where, surprisingly enough, people need to stay warm.

Our EPA is certainly in part to blame, too, with its' requirement for 55 different gas formulations nationwide. You can't just move fuel destined for Atlanta and move it to Denver because the need may be greater, nossiree. It's not the same for emissions. What a bunch of crap.

Enviromentalist wackos have blocked new exploration and drilling in nearly every area of the country. Wouldn't want to displace a caribou flea or a desert cockroach now, would we? There have been no refineries built in the US since around 1978. Over 20 refineries are shut down or running on limited capacity due to the storm, but prices were alreeady skyrocketing weeks before the storm. Hmmmm...!

Alternate sources of energy sound all nice, pretty, and oh, so Utopian. Where are these sources that can be used economically NOW??? In the meantime we have over 125 YEARS of proven and accessable reserves of that eeeeevil oil, much we can't utilize because of bureaucratic BS. Ever wonder why California, which produces a sizeable percentage of the nation's oil, pays the most for their product???

Ever want to know what will piss people off to the point where something drastic will happen in this country??? Limit their mobility, like is what's happening now. Inflation in the real world is going up just like in the late '70s under Carter (remember 18% prime rate???). It's costing over $100.00 just to fill a tank from dead empty in many parts of the country; of course, the bigger the tank, the bigger the impact and cost. Doesn't matter if you drive a Hummer H2 or a Kia Rio, it's the same.

Keep watching, boys and girls, our days of what was loosely interpreted as "freedom" are very limited, indeed.

Fuel, food, and guns. If you have these, you're ahead of the game.
  • Our good friends in France have some of the most radical environmentalist in the world yet 80% of their electricity comes from nuclear power ( the horror!). The environmentalists have always proven to be hypocrites. Perhaps the high energy prices will force certain lobbist and their political affiliated parties to change their tune. God Bless America! (sorry if saying that offends somebody). Niels
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    hudson8 wrote:
    Hello everyone,--- I am quite surprised that there has been no conversation regarding the ridiculous gasoline prices of the last few days. This has got to influence the attendance at some of our meets. My closest station (7 miles down the road) has it priced at $3.60 a gallon as of yesterday. Are all of the other States experiencing these radical gas mark ups overnight? Cliff Minard.

Please don't forget that at least for us folks in Taxington State - er... I mean Washington State are paying over .50 cents a gallon for state and federal gas taxes.

At 3.50 a gallon that's about 18% tax!

We can rant all we want about politicians, policies and events that have gotten us here but the truth is - there is no oil shortage - the shortage is available gasoline and that is because there has not been a new refinerery built within the Continental United States for almost 20 years.

So all you tree huggers out there complaining about the price of gas - remember its the EPA policies that have a lot to do with building new refineries and it's like wanting to put a dump, jail or chemical plant - no one wants it in their back yard.

That also tells me this is a seemingly artificially created scenerio based on the oil companies not increasing their ability to produce gasoline for 20 years. Other than the price of materials and labor it cannot be much more expensive to produce a gallon of gas than it did 20 years ago - in fact they have probably refined the process to make it cheaper.

Truthfully the only thing I can hope to see is oil company executives getting thrown in jail for raking us along the coals like all the other pri#ks that ran Enron, Aldelpia, Failed Savings and Loans..etc...

In the end I may cut back on extracuricular driving to save money - but I will not change my preference of vehicle (V8 powered) based on the cost of gas. My feeling is if you are going to sit in traffic and spend hours upon hours in your car - you had better be sitting in something that you enjoy!

Besides - you can't take your money with you - so spend it now! :eek:
  • Dont blame the enviomentalists, just remember who was in charge in the 70's when we had the other gas crisis. Wasn't the envioment people or liberials. Just set and think just who controls the oil companies. You voted for these people. Ever wonder who is a major contributer's to the republican party. When I started work in the 1950's my salary was $58.00 weekly and gas was 30 Cents a gallon, when i retired I was making a lot more that $580.00 a week, That's 10 times more than when I started working. Gas hasn't gone up 10 times till now It took a lot more out of my pocket more for gas then than it does now
  • Anyone tried running a Hudson on an alternate fuel like ethanol? or something like that? be curious as to whats involved in running this type fuel. Just in case I need to consider this in the future.
  • Hal
    Hal Senior Contributor
    Milk. Cheaper per gallon than gas and choices of whole, 2%, 1%, and skim seem interesting. I think vitamin D might keep valves from burning. Just trying to think outside the box. How much is beer per gallon?
  • rambos_ride
    Hal wrote:
    Milk. Cheaper per gallon than gas and choices of whole, 2%, 1%, and skim seem interesting. I think vitamin D might keep valves from burning. Just trying to think outside the box. How much is beer per gallon?

Yeah - but I don't drink 20 gallons of milk (or beer :p ) a week!

Lattes average around 80.00 a gallon...doh! :eek:

Although I'm old enough to remember when beer cost less than soda :mad:
  • hudsontech
    One answer is abundantly clear - as Pogo possum once said "We has met the enemy and it is us!!!"

Don't like things the way their are - vote the politicians out of their cosy little nest. The new ones coming in will be just as bad, but maybe it'll take a couple years for them to get that way.

This will, in more ways than you can imagine, impact our hobby - and probably not to far down the line. I feel it won't be to long before our cars either will be parked in museums or we'll have to convert them over to alternative fuels, if possible. Why single out the old car hobby, you ask. Simply because we are "different" we stand out. Don't believe it - park your Hudson in the middle of a Wal Mart parking lot. If that ain't "different" what is. "Different" attracts attention.

Think about it - then start voting with your shoe leather. And come 2006 and 2008 let us not vote "oil" people into office again, please.

HudsonTech
  • rambos_ride
    hudsontech wrote:
    One answer is abundantly clear - as Pogo possum once said "We has met the enemy and it is us!!!"

Don't like things the way their are - vote the politicians out of their cosy little nest. The new ones coming in will be just as bad, but maybe it'll take a couple years for them to get that way.

This will, in more ways than you can imagine, impact our hobby - and probably not to far down the line. I feel it won't be to long before our cars either will be parked in museums or we'll have to convert them over to alternative fuels, if possible. Why single out the old car hobby, you ask. Simply because we are "different" we stand out. Don't believe it - park your Hudson in the middle of a Wal Mart parking lot. If that ain't "different" what is. "Different" attracts attention.

Think about it - then start voting with your shoe leather. And come 2006 and 2008 let us not vote "oil" people into office again, please.

HudsonTech

Can't blame it all on the current politicos in DC (although they need to take some blame) - Here in Washington State the Governor and Legislators and has been democratic controlled for the last 20 years and we pay some of the highest gas taxes (and other taxes) in the nation - and I don't even live in Seattle paying that stupid monorail tax!

I think a Hybrid-Hudson could be cool if done correctly. The step-down models already weigh less than many of todays new 'efficient' cars. Perhaps with some creativity you could lighten a stepdown up even more.

But ultimately anything that doesn't get 25mpg+ is destined in 10-20 years (at the rate of rise in gas maybe sooner...) to be driven only by a select few that can afford to spend 100.00 in gas to drive 250 miles...;)
  • The cost of other liquids is completely irrelevant. No one drinks 40 gallons of perfume every two weeks, or milk, or anything else.

Who was the majority in the US Senate and the House in 1974 during the first oil "crisis"??? Wasn't the right, that's for sure, they were outnumbered about 3-1 by the left.

Why do people not want "oil people" in office??? Personally, I want someone who understands these critical issues and businesses, not somebody completely ignorant of them/
  • IMHO both political parties have let us down and it is nieve to blame one party. Both parties have been in control for long periods and it is always business as usual in Washington. What I meant in my earlier post about nuclear power and evironmentalist is that nuclear power is clean and efficient yet the eviromentalist scream every time someone wants to built a nuclear plant. I guess they like smog. Hudsons won't go away due to gas cost increases but they obviously won't be driven as much and that is a darn shame. Scooter and motorcycle sales have doubled since 2000 and thats a good thing... less traffic, easy to afford and bugs in your teeth.
  • Alex,

they are going to single us out because we own, drive and are interested in Hudsons. When I bought my 51 Hornet I instantly became the coolest guy on the block. In the social pecking order, I, the Hudson owner am top. The rest of the neighborhood knows this, there is no way of fighting it short of getting a Hudson. And then it would be down to who does the best wax job. On warm saturdays when the other neighbors are cleaning there sad, sad brand X vehicles I slowly pull the Hornet out. It nevers needs cleaning as you all know Hudsons just shine. I pretend to polish the bumpers which sends a wave of jealousy through the rest of them. Even the wives sense their husbands are inadequate somehow and become desperate.

Where does all this lead. When the crunch comes they will come for me I know it that pent up we drive brand X crap and he has that show piece will bring things to the boil. Luckily I caught on pretty quickly and have fortified my property with a series of motion sensors and army surplus rail guns. I suggest you all look into this because being this cool comes with a dark side.
  • Ah, darn...

The rhetoric here is focused at folks in political office, attributing the current price of oil and subsequently gasoline and heating fuels to thier actions. I for one would not take that position for love nor money.

Make an effort to find out what drives the cost of oil and gasoline. Do not surcome to emotions and what you have been told by others or worse, the media. Become aware of what trading oil futures is all about. What effects the price of oil and how that is passed on in the price of consumer goods like gasoline and diesel fuel. Another part of the puzzle is hidden in our tax and environmental laws. What is the capacity of currently operating domestic gasoline/heating oil refineries? When was the last refinery built? Capacity increased? If the your answer is ... I do not know... find out why! Take a look at the enviornmental tax levied on refineries. What does it take to expand versus rebuild? Can a company rebuild with the enviornmental and fiscal taxes imposed? What must the cost of a barrel of oil be to all these things to occur if the taxes remain?

What geographic location(s) in the US host gasoline refineries? Who in YOUR STATE has supported the building of refineries? What incentives has YOUR STATE provided to any oil refinery owner?

How do we get the raw materials to the refineries? What cost does that add to the cost of a barrel of crude?

If we have storms in the Gulf of Mexico or earthquakes in the western US or Alaska what will happen to oil flow? What countries nationalized billions of US based oil pumping and exploration activities? Are these countries helping or hindering the process of oil prices?

My point ... if you vote, do not squander the vote! If you, your neighbors and the majority of the folks in the US spent just four hours in a public library or online researching these topics ... an informed electorate can be the result. Gasoline prices today are due to the hysteria in the futures market coupled with limited gasoline production capacity.

Stop growing wheat in the US ... then guess the cost of a loaf of bread. Supply and demand folks ... controlled not by politics... but the angry rhetoric of a few who want all the rest to follow their example.

Off the apple crate from now.
  • Vote out ALL incumbents next election, from mayor to dog catcher; from county commisioner to governor; from the House to the Senate in both your State and the US Congress. Make ALL of them scared for their political lives.
  • you;d certainly have a lot of newbys lookin' for the bathrooms. but it soulnds like a great idea. whats your take on this mr. cates ?
  • If it'll make ya'll feel any better, to fill up my truck with diesel, @ 2.81gal, cost me $843! That will last me 1 week! If fuel stays this high for more than 2 weeks, expect EVERYTHING to go up, because EVERYTHING gets moved by trucks, and fuel surcharges "DON'T" keep up with this type of rise in prices. The difference will HAVE to be passed along to the consumers. It's liable to be a "white beans and neckbone" winter.
  • hudsontech
    wkitchens wrote:
    If it'll make ya'll feel any better, to fill up my truck with diesel, @ 2.81gal, cost me $843! That will last me 1 week! If fuel stays this high for more than 2 weeks, expect EVERYTHING to go up, because EVERYTHING gets moved by trucks, and fuel surcharges "DON'T" keep up with this type of rise in prices. The difference will HAVE to be passed along to the consumers. It's liable to be a "white beans and neckbone" winter.

One week you get baked potatoe - save the potatoe skins for next week, you might need 'em. I can see a new column coming in our chapter newsletters - Alternative Living Ideas and Tips

Oh, yes, before I forget - I'm still selling Hudson Service Merchandiser CD's - sold 10 or 12. 3 or 4 more and I'll have enough money to fill the '92 Buick, the '87 Dollar Dodge truck AND the wifes '96 Olds!!! My son just bought a very nice 1994 Lincoln Town Car, for $950. He's on his own, fuel wise.

Hudsonly

Alex B
  • rambos_ride
    51hornetA wrote:
    Alex,

they are going to single us out because we own, drive and are interested in Hudsons. When I bought my 51 Hornet I instantly became the coolest guy on the block. In the social pecking order, I, the Hudson owner am top. The rest of the neighborhood knows this, there is no way of fighting it short of getting a Hudson. And then it would be down to who does the best wax job. On warm saturdays when the other neighbors are cleaning there sad, sad brand X vehicles I slowly pull the Hornet out. It nevers needs cleaning as you all know Hudsons just shine. I pretend to polish the bumpers which sends a wave of jealousy through the rest of them. Even the wives sense their husbands are inadequate somehow and become desperate.

Where does all this lead. When the crunch comes they will come for me I know it that pent up we drive brand X crap and he has that show piece will bring things to the boil. Luckily I caught on pretty quickly and have fortified my property with a series of motion sensors and army surplus rail guns. I suggest you all look into this because being this cool comes with a dark side.

SWEET - HUDSON ENVY! LOL!
  • Both, like I said it ain't easy being this cool and those who think it is obviously don't own an Hudson. Its got so bad I have to pull my Hornet out early in the morning to go for drive, even then one of the desperate housewifes is running along side trying to sweet talk me into a ride. Just to be close to that cool is enough for some of them. Lukily the Hornet has plenty of torque and they usually tire after 15 blocks or so........sigh I didn't know what I was getting myself into, and I can't get rid of it or I would lose face with the wife and that, as you all know would be fatal. I have to keep her convinced that some part of my crazy Hudson schemes have logic. Lucky for me the sense of pride she gets knowing we are the top of the food chain has kept her guessing.......
  • Boy this is good, Shows we have a lot of thinkers on here. I just came back from a trip to IOWA where they push Ethenol, Costs 10 cents a gallon cheaper for a 10% mix, My wifes Honda still got 38 mpg, I loved it. Used it 25 years ago when I lived there in the 5 trucks and 2 cars including a 50 Pacemaker I had at the time, never a problem As for politicians , It does'nt make any Diff. between Demos and Repub. All the same.
  • talk about cool, my 16 year old took his 46 to high school friday for the opening day. everyone know who he is and what he's about now ! "who ownes that ugly old black car " what the hell is that thing "? from teachers to students. its so cool. and its his car, to be driven in nice weather only and NOT every day for certain. maybe once next week then he can drive the goobermobile. (van) in a couple weeks he can drive my hot rod chrysler 300 once. how proud is a dad ? wow!
  • davidh wrote:
    talk about cool, my 16 year old took his 46 to high school friday for the opening day. everyone know who he is and what he's about now ! "who ownes that ugly old black car " what the hell is that thing "? from teachers to students. its so cool. and its his car, to be driven in nice weather only and NOT every day for certain. maybe once next week then he can drive the goobermobile. (van) in a couple weeks he can drive my hot rod chrysler 300 once. how proud is a dad ? wow!

There's nothing nicer than having a cool car in High School. It's a difficult age and kids are so easy to try to stereo type each other. Kudos to you Dad! I can't wait till my kids are that age. I pick up my 1st and 4th grader on Fridays in either my Hudson or my Unimog army truck. All the kids love it!
  • unimog ? how cool. my buddy has had one since the mid 60's. its a 32 mph max diesel that will even climb trees i think. hardly enuf room for feet. what a neat toy you must have. pix's anywhere ?
  • rambos_ride
    tombpa wrote:
    Boy this is good, Shows we have a lot of thinkers on here. I just came back from a trip to IOWA where they push Ethenol, Costs 10 cents a gallon cheaper for a 10% mix, My wifes Honda still got 38 mpg, I loved it. Used it 25 years ago when I lived there in the 5 trucks and 2 cars including a 50 Pacemaker I had at the time, never a problem As for politicians , It does'nt make any Diff. between Demos and Repub. All the same.

I don't know about where you all live but between November and February (or something like that) they already put 10% ethenol in our gas in Washington - isn't any cheaper either :mad:
  • hudson8 wrote:

Wow, I really feel sorry for all you guys, Just how are you going to cope with $3.60 a gallon.

Perhaps you had better all move to England, we still only pay £1 GBP per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What people overseas seem not to grasp or realize is that distances we travel between places in the US are much, much greater between two points than they are in Europe or the British Isles. You may think one pound/liter is no big thing, and that we spending $3.50/gallon is just the US getting what it "deserves", but let me tell you, it's gonna roll downhill right to you in the end. Our suffering is going to be your suffering, like it or not. It's coming, you'll see.

I've been to your country several times since the late '70s. Nice place to visit.
  • davidh wrote:
    unimog ? how cool. my buddy has had one since the mid 60's. its a 32 mph max diesel that will even climb trees i think. hardly enuf room for feet. what a neat toy you must have. pix's anywhere ?

Added a picture of my 63 Unimog and 49 Dodge Coronet. The Unimog is absolutely incredible off-road. Niels http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/nielshudson.msnw?Page=Last
This discussion has been closed.