Gasoline Prices

2»

Comments

• coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    My banking and broker days have passed but I still realise the NY Merc, Chi and London Mkts still trade gasoling futures. Gas trades 9 times between the refiner and the pump. Check the futures price,three mo or so ago when what you now buy was sold add the state tax and you will quickly see we are being ripped off. Better still go to your local broker and look at a reacent year end statement and proxie. Not a one that did not make more in one year than the NW of Gen Motors.If it was not so hi I would be watching Howard Scruggs run his Hornet today at the race track?
  • I just went to North Carolina over the weekend to get my daughter and my new one month old grand daughter. I spent $457.00 on gas and another $200.00 on Hotels and meals. Plane tickets would have been cheaper. I could not stand to think of the little ones ears popping on a flight. I saw some pretty country along the way. I will not be able to do some of the other things I wanted to this month, but I will enjoy their company for a month and not look back. Gas prices ranged from $2.99 to $3.39 per gallon. I knew where I was being ripped off. It seemed at times like I was filling up just after I filled up. I will be riding my Harley to work and anyplace else I need to go until we get some relief. I had about 2 gallons of beer while I watched about 50 members of my family welcome the new addition home. I would forego anything else on this planet to watch that scene again.

Tell me 'bout the good ol' days!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    greggd wrote:
    I just went to North Carolina over the weekend to get my daughter and my new one month old grand daughter. I spent $457.00 on gas and another $200.00 on Hotels and meals. Plane tickets would have been cheaper. I could not stand to think of the little ones ears popping on a flight. I saw some pretty country along the way. I will not be able to do some of the other things I wanted to this month, but I will enjoy their company for a month and not look back. Gas prices ranged from $2.99 to $3.39 per gallon. I knew where I was being ripped off. It seemed at times like I was filling up just after I filled up. I will be riding my Harley to work and anyplace else I need to go until we get some relief. I had about 2 gallons of beer while I watched about 50 members of my family welcome the new addition home. I would forego anything else on this planet to watch that scene again.

Tell me 'bout the good ol' days!

Airline tickets are going up too and if you didn't get the tickets in advance I bet between time and rental cars, taxis...whatever and the extra $$ for a short term ticket (you always get better deals by buying in advance). That it might have been cheaper but you wouldn't have enjoyed the drive and the beer!

You're right though - seeing your family together had to be worth every penny!
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Ok, we have all had a stab at the politicians, the oil companies and the environmentalists. Now does anyone realize that gasoline is a waste product? Go to a refinery web site and learn how a barrel of crude oil comes down the cracking tower. All the products that come out before gasoline, like plastics, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, synthetics, lubricating oils and heating oil and diesel. Now that said, don't be surprised to find out gasoline is what is left with maybe naphtha. It can't be used in anything but a internal combustion engine. It can't be destroyed, burned away or used to heat houses.

It is just a waste product, unless you have a need for waste, to run your car. Household Garbage, spent fuel rods, or just plain dog poop would be $ 600.00 a dumpster full, if it ran our cars. We are never going to see the internal combustion engine leave this earth or even become obsolete until we find a way to crack a barrel of oil, for all the things we use every day, and not have this waste product to deal with. By the way, gas cannot be stored, it sours, and it cannot be sold elsewhere, or converted to another product. If we slow down our use, they are stuck with it, then the price will drop like a rock, only so they can get rid of it. Sounds crazy but just read up a bit on that almighty crude, and see I'm that far off.
  • Diesel and home heating oil are less refined than gasoline, yet cost more at the pump. Explain that.
  • rambos_ride
    Diesel and home heating oil are less refined than gasoline, yet cost more at the pump. Explain that.

TAXES PLAIN AND SIMPLE.... :mad:
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    In NC there is a 6 cent tax above gasoline for diesel. I still love my VDub and its 40+ mpg

Big O
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    Diesel and home heating oil are less refined than gasoline, yet cost more at the pump. Explain that.

They are about the same and it is tax tax tax for the diesel. Home heating oil delivered is less but there is a delivery charge. Some folks use the #2 heating oil, delivered at a less price than diesel at the pump and then pump it out to run all summer for their diesel cars.
  • rambos_ride
    bobbydamit wrote:
    They are about the same and it is tax tax tax for the diesel. Home heating oil delivered is less but there is a delivery charge. Some folks use the #2 heating oil, delivered at a less price than diesel at the pump and then pump it out to run all summer for their diesel cars.

Don't forget Bio-diesel - with gas prices getting to what they are this is looking to get more popular.

The only drawback is that your exhaust smells like "american fries" and with that heppening - I guess it won't take long before politicians get "wind" of this one and tax the livin' @#$% out of it! :mad:
  • Gotta put in my .02 in. As some of you know, my wife and I picked up our first Hudson today and drove it the 200 miles home from WV to VA. Shortly, I'll put up a new thread relating that experience, but I gotta respond to this one.

For those of you that have been complaining about the politicians and the IRS, you've got part of it right, I think. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in this world comes down to the $$$$, whatever country your from. That's what we get for living in a capitalistic world. Prices are set solely by supply and demand. Think about this: The freeway system was conceived, begun and instituted in the mid-fifties by Truman so that we could easily ship the military and military goods faster from one part of the country to the other. They also provided faster escape routes (think atomic bomb threats). Of course, as a sideline, we would also be able to ship our goods via highway. BINGO! Railroads were almost single-handedly wiped out, EVERYONE hit the highway, including an incredible amount of trucks hauling our goods. Supply and Demand (for gas, oil) continues to grow with our growing population, etc. Whoever posted earlier about cutting back our driving as a protest of sorts would be felt, but minimally. It would take a drastic change to alter the demand. Shipping goods by rail again would certainly cut our consumption. Been out on the highway lately and compared the # of trucks vs. the # of automobiles? This is not a slight against truck drivers at all, just our system of operation. We did well shipping our goods via trucks-created a lot of jobs, kept the economy (somewhat stable) and thriving for the most part.

Personally, I think we're lucky to be here paying $3.00/gal. The English have been paying 4-5-6 per litre for years. In the end, if we don't change our consumption rate, gas will continue to rise in price to meet the demand. Most of us, I think are probably not willing to change our driving habits very much. We just love to get out there and do our thing. It represents our freedom, our form of expression. Americans have had a love affair with the automobile for an entire century.

And, if gas were 7.50/gal., we'd all be griping about that and how outrageous it is and what a sham the gov. is putting us through . . . of course we'd be saying all that at the pump . . . getting ready for our next adventure.

BTW, is the Hudson going to be my daily driver? Of course not. I've got a 9-year old Honda Civic that has at least 200K more miles in it at 30 mpg. We still have to be as practical as we can. Think I'm going to trade the Hudson in 'cause gas is 3+/gal.? Hardly. On the contrary, I can't wait till we get to take her out again.

Russell
  • I agree Russell, yet there have been cases in history when prices weren't set by supply and demand, but rather by corporate coersion amongst major companies (probably small occurances in the overall scheme of things).

I love my vehicles as much as most all of you here. I don't like the gas prices either, but not much I can do about except my part to lower the overall bill. Sold my 10-12mpg Suburban for a 17-20mpg Range Rover; putting a 24-26mpg LT1 in my Pacemaker because it will be my daily driver (the Rover is for the trails and until the Hud is done). The only vehicle I don't care about gas mileage at all is my Motorhome. Its a motel on wheels so I don't have to pay their rates. Makes up for the 8-10mpg (tanks fully loaded) enough for me and my family, we have a blast in our 29' Jamboree.

Thankfully we don't use heating oil here in AZ. We have only 2 seasons.........."hot!" and "not quite as hot!" Heck, even my fireplace is used only for ambiance! lol

Jay
This discussion has been closed.