Recommended seatbelt location for a step-down coupe?

I have seatbelts in the front but nothing in the rear.  I'd love to get the whole family in the car for some rides but I'd at least like to install some lap belts in the back so they can strap in.  Does anyone have any pointers/locations for where they mounted theirs?

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Pretty much directly under the rear edge of the seat cushion or slightly further back works well.  Are you installing 2 sets or 3?  3 can be doubled up, in the middle.  Make sure you use the proper mounting brackets, or at least very large washers (underneath the car) and don't drill a hole any bigger than you need to slide the bolt through.  

Also, if you have not sourced any belt sets yet, Juliano's makes a nice retro set in a myriad of colors that looks like they belong in a vintage vehicle.  
  • Thanks Russell - I was planning to only add two belts at this point…just enough for the two car seats. I'll be using some good grade 8 bolts and large steel washers. I currently have a set of run-of-the-mill belts to use for now but once I get to a point in the restoration where I'm ready to tackle the interior I'll definitely be looking for some vintage style belts so thanks for the lead on Juliano's.
  • I put rear belts in my 51 Hollywood with the universal plates. With nuts welded to them. I can take photos if you would like them? On each side in the rear there is a flat spot ahead of the rear springs that was a perfect place for the outer mounts. Ed Moore
  • Thanks Ed, great information.  If you happen to have pictures handy I'd appreciate any visuals but if you have to crawl under the car to snap them, I can make do without. I still need to look at the seats to see how they come out.  
  • Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    I have lap belts in the back of my 53 sedan.
    using large flat washers is dangerous as they
    are prone to tearing thru the sheet metal.

The proper rectangular Seat belt mounts are available on ebay for short money.
  • I took photos of where I mounted my rear seat belts in my 51 Hollywood. I bought the mounts on ebay and they fit perfectly on the flat area in front of the rear wheels. Ed Moore
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Looks good, Ed!
  • Looks great Ed and that happens to be exactly where I ended up putting mine. The kids are happy they can now both go for rides!
This discussion has been closed.