What options for overdrive?

2»

Comments

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Look in Hemmings motor news under services look for transmissions and overdrive units the person you want to talk to is Loyd Young he builds overdrive units that can  bolt on to the back of your transmission or you can bolt in to your rear end he is in Ohio if you can not find let me know I should have his number (side note) the wife and I were  going to a car show  down the freeway doing 70 when I was passed by a  Ford model A coupe the guy went by me like I was standing still I thought he had a street rod when we caught up with him he was at a motel with a bunch of other model A people they were the model A club going to the same show as us I asked him what motor he had under the hood and he lifted the hood and it was the model A four cylinder I asked how he passed me so  fast and he said it was because he had a bolt on over drive unit built by Loyd the unit was so small it was just an over drive unit not the whole transmission that is how I found out about these units.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Hey Rocket,
    Thanks.
    I have looked into a couple of the (Ford) options and they seem to be used with the torque tube type driveline. Dont know how that would be with my traditional type driveline.
    J
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited October 2017

Here's another method.  Remove 1st gear and reverse from your extra tranny and install it backwards bolting the modified bell housing to the differential.  2nd gear will be an overdrive.

For a truck, leave the reverse in and double reverse will be a granny gear.

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Lloyd Young makes these units for both types of drive shafts torque tube type and open bolt in type drive shafts just give him a call 614-837-7832
  • jjbubaboy
    OK Rocket, I will give it a try.
    Seems like some of the mention of him I have come across on other forums may indicate he is not still doing them....
    Thanks!
    Jeff
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi there.

Have been reading your posts. Just a thought do you have laycock overdrives over there I am in NewZealand they were fitted to many English cars.  eg MGB. triumph ect.  If you are interested I can send you the plans to fit the overdrive to any  30s cars. I have a friend who has done the conversion to a 38 Packard  It is a fairly simple conversion .  I would need your e mail address. Or I could post the details on the forum.  Let me know Regards Trevor  

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

I have attached the details for you interest. Let me know if you need anything further.

trevor.dot.johnson@xtra.co.nz

• jjbubaboy
    Hey Trevor, 
    Thanks for the info!
    Never heard of them but will research them also. Seems like all the 'vintage type overdrives, rear ends etc. are hard to come by or just too cost prohibitive.
    What a drag... :s
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi there.  No problem I have some photos of the set up that I can post as well but my wife is away for a few days and she will know how to post them.  I tried last night with no success.

Regards

Trevor

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    These overdrives sell in NZ for about $500.00
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi there.

Did you get the photos of the unit to your E mail address.

Regards

Trevor

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Trevor, we have a picture-posting tutorial here under the "Instructions and Tips" category: https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/169414/how-to-post-pictures#latest
  • jjbubaboy
    Trevor, yes I sure did.
    Thanks!
  • Val
    Val Member
    If you call Wildrick's 317-398-4163 and talk to Doug he will tell you what trans to use and what needs to be done. The good doctor is the Hudson expert and did suggest the one for my 39. He also helped me repair it when it failed.  
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

I have attached pics of the overdrive unit in case other members are interested or know where there is a unit.

Trevor NewZealand

• jjbubaboy
    So, I  have been kinda looking around and their are different variations of the Laycock overdrives.
    There's MG, Triumph, 'LH' type and even Volvo...
    Guess I have more questions now than answers...PER USUAL! LOL
    Probably should talk to someone at this point to narrow it down and see just what I would need, and what I would need to do.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi Jeff. As far as I know all the overdrives that you are referring to including the Volvo are basically the same.  Interestingly enough I have a Terraplane box with a Laycock overdrive attached directly onto the rear of it with what looks like a factory adaptor I will send you a photo if interested.  Apparently it came out of a 39  Hudson that had been in England maybe there was an adaptor available there in the day 

Regards

Trevor  

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Trevor,
    I'd be interested in pics of the Laycock O/D directly attached to the rear of the gearbox. I've got a Laycock O/D in the garage & this sounds a much nicer solution that what I've been considering for the Essex Coupe.
    Thanks
    Dave Young
  • jjbubaboy
    Trevor,
    Sure, send or post the photo.
    That wouldnt be an option for me tho, as that is where I lack the room due to the frame.
    It would have to be past the frame or back on the rear differential in my application.
    Thanks,
    Jeff