A Classic Dilemma

124»

Comments

• With that '51 starting at $3,500, any bets that it won't go over $5,000. Seems that most of the Hudson being sold on eBay are bringing some good prices.

hudsonkid, to answer some of your questions..........

I do plan on long distance travel, and many trips. I do not believe that if I breakdown in po-dunk, whatever state, I will always be able to find Hudson parts. Some people may drive there occasionally to a long-distance run, but I see that as apples vs. oranges. I want a daily driver as well as a car I can put the family in and drive anywhere. I often make multiple trips from Phoenix to So. Cal. and Las Vegas during the year and am not convinced in the long-term, heavy use reliability of Hudson parts. Basically, other than no off-road use, I don't want to treat it any differently than my old Suburban. I will use it the same as I would a normal sedan, truck, or whatever anyone drives on a daily basis.

Driving fast......I plan to open her up once in awhile (without the kid in it of course!). Some 3.07 gears in the rear will be fine on the highway and I should be able to pull 24-26mpg. I don't drag race anymore, so I don't plan to to run lower gears and eat up fuel economy.

And your right, I wouldn't pay $15K for this car. But in all my research, thats about what it would cost to get another car in the same shape as mine. So, do I restore the car and end up with a machine I don't like? No. Do I sell it for $5-8K and buy a worse off car and dump more money (more than my current investment) so I can get a car in the shape mine is now? No. Doesn't make sense economically.

My reason to buy a Hudson...............frankly, I want a lead-sled and these cars don't need to be chopped. The Mercs are way too expensive guys! Besides, I do appreciate having a model that not everybody has (even if I run a chevy drivetrain), even a rodded one (I was building a '38 Dodge 5W Coupe Street Rod when everyone had Fords and Chevys). Actually, it seems that my rodded Hudson will still be in the minority, as it seems there are many more restored ones I see than rodded ones. I don't build my street rods for investment purposes either.

Some people say it should remain stock for historical purposes. My answer is if was such a valuable historical vehicle, people would be knocking down my front door to buy it. Since they are not, I can only conclude that people who make this argument do so based on their own personal feelings and not the market.

I guess to original Hudson fans, it is a shame that I bought this car. It would have been a good restoration project. But, thats how the cards were dealt. I make no apologies for that. Yes, I plan to rod this one. As I do appreciate all the feedback I have received (even that with a different viewpoint) and have met some nice people on this forum, there seems to be no valid reasons (at least in my view) to me for not rodding this one.

That '51 on eBay looks like a nice project car, but again, would take some money to get it in the same shape as mine..........but hey, maybe someone would buy that one, get the body and frame in good shape and in primer, put good glass all around, get a new interior in it with excellent dash and gauges, and make sure there is no missing trim pieces, make sure has a clean title in the year of manufacture, and then I would trade them......they could even keep the motor and trans from the '51! I think that would be a fair deal for all parties.

What say guys? Any takers?

Jay (glad tax deadlines over!)
  • There is a very straight '54 Hudson Special Brougham with all-new glass and set up for a 455 Olds, in central Kansas for $800.00!!! Clear title, many additional repro and used parts go with for just a few extra dollars, plus the car only needs some minor floor replacement. The body and trim are from very good to excellent condition! The owner died about eight months ago. I've seen the car close-up, and this would be a sweet car to rod!
  • Patrick:

Where is the ad for this? Is there any pics? I hate to sound stupid, but is it a 2 door or 4? I'm not real wild about the 53-54 body lines, hood, or grill......just a personal preference. Actually my favorite is the 51-52 grill, but the 50 is nice too.

Jay

Jay
  • Actually Dan, the more I look at that '51, the more I don't like the lines. It has more slope back which looks funny to me on the shorter front end of the Pacemaker. Mine I think has a longer look because it has the shorter slope at the rear window. I don't know if thats a model thing or what, but from the side, it looks like its pushed from the front bumper to the rear bumper! I saw a side view on a '49 Pacemaker with the longer rear cab slope, and it looked cool, but maybe my eyes are tricking me, but this one looks funny......like its been front-ended and rear-ended in the same accident!

Jay :-)
  • Jay, she had several Hudsons and Packards. The ad was listed here and on the Packard forum, so that ad is listed below. Her daughter can e-mail you pics of the cars:

Went to look at a couple of Hudsons in WaKeeney, KS, and found a couple of Packards there, too. This lady's husband died recently and she's looking to sell. I'm just passing the word for her.

1952 Caribbean 4-dr sedan, rear-ended hard, good glass, doors, hood. Grille off the car, front fenders damaged, it could probably be had for nothing!

The Hudsons are a 1954 Hornet Special 2-door brougham with a 308 auto and a 1951 Super Six 4-door with a 232 3-spd. The '54 has mounts welded in for a Buick 455, and she has both the original drivetrain and the 455. The '51 is good only as a parts car, but it is very complete.

These cars are garaged and titled. WaKeeney is located between Oakley and Hays, right on I-70. Easy access for a rollback or a trailer! Be prepared to spend some time loading, these cars and parts are loaded in this shop like sardines!

Tillie 785-743-2560
  • Hudson did not build the Pacemaker in 48/49
  • Your right, my bad......but whatever model it was, it look better than the 51 above. It just looks stubby to me (when viewed from the side). For my taste, I would pass on that one, it doesn't have the look I'm going for. My '50 I think has better lines, but thats my preference.
  • nph1127:

That '50 is probably not a bad project, except I have no interest in a 4 door (no offense Rambo! I know yours will be a nice machine:-)), just a personal preference.

Jay
This discussion has been closed.