My Twin-H Saga (with pics!)

1235»

Comments

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks  Very nice.  Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Your Hornet seems to turn over faster than our Hornet. Maybe because I have only about 30 miles on the engine.Did you do anything to the starter?  Ray
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ray, I still have the original Autolite generator and starter, with no modifications to my knowledge.  I DO have an electric fuel pump under the car that I use to prime the carbs if it hasn't run in awhile.  I usually will prime the carbs and pump the gas pedal a few times, and she'll fire right up, even after months.  The battery is the same one that came with the car when I got it.  I'm not sure when my uncle put it in, but it's a NAPA Commercial 6V.  I always have the battery on a trickle-charger, so it's always topped off.  Could yours be slower because of a weaker battery (less cold-cranking Amps)?  

When this battery goes, I'll probably put in a DEKA 6V - apparently they are made like 30 miles from my house!  I forget who, but someone on this forum (Jon B?) always speaks highly of DEKA.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I have a 900 cca twice as big as your battery. When I turn the motor over there is no compression loss so that is good.  Ray
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited June 2017
    Question on parking in R; If it doesn't come out of R, can you roll the car to move it somewhere else or move onto a roll back or ?? Won't crank if safety is set right.
    If not, isn't that risky depending on where you are?
    EDIT: forget this question, I am thinking of something else. Sorry~~
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I put two Red top Optimas in parallel. That old 8 turns over FAST! only takes a quarter turn and she is running!
  • Richard, I'm not sure I understand your question...  If you park in R, but need to push the car somewhere because it won't start, you should be able to just shift it into N.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited June 2017
    Not sure myself, Steve, since I don't do it. Think I read somewhere that the engine has to be started for a 'pawl' or something to be removed so it could be removed from reverse. Thought it would be an easy question to save me from looking thru the pages. LOL
    Even if the car rolls some to 'lock' against the reverse. ???
    EDIT>>>> I have determined that I must be thinking of something else, so completely ignore all this. Can't start in reverse anyway !! Sorry, everyone~~~
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    When the car is parked in reverse on a hill there could be a problem getting the lever to go into neutral And if the neutral safety switch is working properly the car will not start in reverse.
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've never had any problems shifting from R to N, before I've started the car.  I will frequently park the car in R at shows or whatever, and never had any problems.  With that being said, I've never really tried it after parking on a steep hill or anything.  One time, the car stalled out while I was backing out of the garage, with a sudden JOLT because the car was in R with backwards momentum.  I simply put it in N and restarted.  

Will the car even let you start it in R?  I don't know if I've tried (probably have), but I know I definitely tried and couldn't do in while in D (much like a modern car).  
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The car will start in R, and with the clutch pedal depressed, it should be able to shift it out of reverse.
  • ...and if you don't have a clutch...?
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Well OK, since it's an automatic, I'll go to page 2 of my recollections.  I sold my Hydramatic '51 Hornet in '57, so it's been a while!  But as I recall, it works as described by iceblade.
This discussion has been closed.