new rat rod project

Comments

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor

Thanks "Ric West In", very interesting news paper article! That opens up a lot more doors/options. By the way, I removed the latches from the hood and underneath was some of the original color. Never exposed to UV light, I think this is going to be the best shot at seeing the correct color. For the green anyway. It's not exactly John Deere green. Which I also would of called it. But a little darker then that.
  • bent metal

Oh no!!!! Don't tell me I have to learn a new way to post pictures!:angry:

Plus I can only do one at a time, with no preview option for the picture?

Or two of the same picture. hahaha:sick: Well anyhow, green like this little face here. :sick: haha
  • Take that panel to your local Sherwin Williams store and they should have enough area there to read the color and then duplicate it. When they get it under their spectrograph they should be able to give you a color and mixing specs.
    Bob
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    edited October 2010
    Hi Perry,
    so John Deer green is going to be the color?
    should be a problem to match that color at all and I bet PPG will have it all filed away as they have been using that color forever
    Its the same as my lawn tractor or as we say down under a ride on :lol:
    have that color in my garage though a little worse for wear just cant get my head around washing it each time I use it
    No matter what color you paint her she will look awesome and I can see all the gnaws dropping now :ohmy:
    cant wait for some more pictures I come here so frequently to just to see what you are up to, its like watching a good Tv series hoping the season will never end

mike

Mike
  • bent metal

I read the news paper article that "Ric West Ind" has and it says that you could basically order whatever color you wanted from a dealer in Grand Rapids. Actually a few college people ordered the boat tails in their school colors. My Dad has been debating the color issue for a while now and I think he has finally decided to make this car, the way it was. Which was green, just a little darker than John Deere green, and not so yellow. But the way this car came new.

The doors were rusted out at the bottom, etc.
  • bent metal

I have to do pictures one at a time, for some reason?
  • bent metal
    doors ...........
  • bent metal
    doors......
  • bent metal

Alright, all of the boat tail stuff has moved on, out of my garage, onto the painter. ...All but one piece. I had a bad feeling about this. I don't know why, but I did. It's just too small and too easy for someone to lose. This is the trim piece that goes on the back of the tail. Soooo, "just in case", I made an extra one.:)
  • bent metal

Ok, well actually I made three extra ones. But that's it! B)

Now I'm going on to something else.;)
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    You certainly have a knack for bending metal!
  • essexcoupe3131
    edited October 2010
    Hi Bent,
    I was having a look at Sonny's 46 and he had a good shot of the bonnet front on sporting it new superb paint job and I had a thought that this would make a good basis for the rear of a boat tail :ohmy: add a bit in 4 extra height if you need it, must be quite a few of these around

Thoughts
    Mike
  • bent metal
    I saw one like that. Mr. Albright had it and it was either beige or yellow. Maybe someone has a picture???

Anyone??
  • bent metal

This one?
  • bent metal
    How are you guys making the pictures(more than one) in one spot on a post?
  • bent metal

Side view.
  • bent metal
    I keep thinking something doesn't look right? Are the skirts on this car backwards?!?! I mean, on the wrong side?
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I saw the car some years ago while it was on display in Laughlin, Nevada. As I recall Bill pulled it out of the display along with his Station Wagon and sold the boat tail to someone in LA? Have not seen or heard from it since. Who has it now? As I recall it is a car that Bill built and the doner for the back section was a hood from another car? I am not too sure of the story because it has been sometime since I saw it.
  • essexcoupe3131
    cut a couple inches in height on the bonnet narrow up the wings, shorten buy a foot or so, cut in the r/seat, a must
    throw on a 27 chassis with a cowl and and front and rear guards
    then bobs your uncle, done

Mike
  • essexcoupe3131
    Hey Bent, whats happening with the boat tail, I have been getting with drawls having seen nothing for awhile
    Mike
  • bent metal
    It's at the paint shop. I've got my fingers crossed for good luck.
  • essexcoupe3131
    That surprises me, a man with all your talent I would have thought you were doing it yourself

All good LOL

If you have done your homework as you have shown all the time it will be Sweeeeet
    Mike
  • bent metal
    I think I'm done painting.
    I painted my first car at 14 or 15 yrs old. Went to school for car painting. Then I did color matches and paint delivery for a custom paint shop for a few years. Then went to paint school again. Then I did prep and helper work for a master painter in a restoration shop for a few years. Then I painted the lines on the highways for a few years. Then I painted cabinets and color matched wood stains for a few years. Paint, paint, paint.
    I think I'm done painting. But I did go and see the boat tail. It was all I could do to not snatch the sand paper out of the worker's hand and show him what he was doing wrong! Too much filler for no reason. They are use to doing collision repair and not old cars. I tried to explain to the guy that the "shapes" of the metal are good and he needs to just use a filler type primer and block sand any small waves, etc. But I don't think he liked me making suggestions. So I said, "Well, you know what your doing. I'll get out of your way." On my way out I noticed the floor pan (that took me a week to make) was leaning against a pile of junk with several very rusty patches where a cat had sprayed on it! Needless to say, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying anything.
    I got my fingers crossed. But I'm worried.

I hope it doesn't turn out like one of those cars where every panel bubbles out from too much filler. Rather than one flowing contour the length of the body.

I hate to even think of such a thing. ...But I do still have my old spray gun under the work bench.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Like you Bent (knowing that I could never be the "tin man" that you are) I stopped painting about 5 years ago. I did it because of the dangers of paint to my lungs... However, about three years ago I was building a special car (I think they are all special when you are working on them)and the shop where I was having the finish sand/paint had a new finish/paint guy. I visited him and we talked about some of the issues that you are talking about. He allowed me to work along side him through the final process and I made the decision when it was ready for paint. He then invited me in the paint booth with him and we discussed the whole process and how the paint would go down. In the end, he painted the top surfaces and I did the sides. It turned out to be a great day. He still tells me that the last car we did this tag-team on is the best car he has ever done. It turned out to be a win-win; but, in the end, I think I was the real winner.....

I expect the boat tail will look great!!! I even expect that the paint will be acceptable--cannot wait to see it. Will you have it out for San Diego?
  • essexcoupe3131
    Hi Bent, what are they thinking, I haven't seen your work in person other than the photos, though I can see the passion and artistry you have so all your work would be superb (that would be a privilege too see)
    Are they thinking they are on Rides!

As you said a coat or 2 or 3 of epoxy primer to shoot out any ripples or waves I would have thought would have been plenty and use long boards to shoot it all straight
    I know its hard commenting on others peoples work 1/2 done,I had a similar issue with mine
    and it actually got completely painted twice as they had an issue getting the yellow consistent in color as you couldn't assemble the car the do the final top coats
    the issue I have now is there is too much paint and when you get a chip in it from stones you can see the depth of paint to the primer

Brownie made a good comment and it might be worth sitting down with the guy and have a heart to heart with him and about your concerns because when are you going to do 1 of these puppy's again !

All the best and watching with anticipation
    It will work out and be superb as all your work is

Mike
  • bent metal
    I really don't understand the idea of putting an eighth inch of bond-o on an entire car. But it does seem to be common practice in body shops now a days. Also, to be fair to the painter I've seen a few cars he's done and they look good. I suppose the end result is what's important. Maybe it doesn't matter how he gets there.

But I'm still going to swing by there within' the next week or so. Just to make sure we're going in the right direction.

Brownie, I do expect it to be at the San Diego meet. It won't be complete, but it should be pretty far along.
  • bent metal
    Right, I agree. I understand the concept of what they are trying to do. But you would think that someone at a paint shop would look at the cars on an individual basis and say "This one doesn't need to be a bond-o sculpture.".

I'm probably worried for nothing. I'm going to go over there tomorrow and check things out.
  • essexcoupe3131
    Hi Bent Metal,did you go and see the painters last week?
    Set all your reservations to bay?
    Mike
  • bent metal
    Nah. I wanted to, real bad. But I restrained myself. It's really not my car, I didn't choose the painter. I'm trying to keep my nose out of it. :whistle:

But man-o-man, it's tough. ...I just want it to come out nice.
  • essexcoupe3131
    As I understand it isn't this your dads car?
    cant get any closer than blood lol
    I know I often look out for my dad to see that things are as he expected
    Mike